Next on My List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd like to learn more about cooking beef. We try not to eat it more than once a week, but I need to work on my skills--so maybe roasting and grilling are on my list.

I used to do a fair amount of bread baking but would love to do some more experimentation. Like marm, tho, my hubby's on the low-carb kick and there's only so much bread that I could eat by myself!

I would love to learn how to bake bread. Unfortunately, I have neither the time nor the patience. But oh the smell and taste of a good loaf of bread.

I'd also like to learn a decent mole'.
John.

GB said:
I made sushi once. It was a lot of fun and a lot of work. It would be a great thing to do with a bunch of people.

Here are some pictures of my sushi making experience.

GB, so that's where your avatar came from. Would love your recipe for the Polenta Oscar.

When it comes to the 3 C's (cooking, computing, & cars), still much to learn.

(BTW, still don't know how to put simleys IN my posts. Stumbling around.)

Mish, all you have to do is slide your mouse over whatever smilie you want and click on it. It will show up where ever your cursor is at the time.

Thanks PA . This is a test -- but looks like the smiley appears in the title, but not in the text. Hope this works. I must be doing something wrong.

Allen,

Would you have time to judge? Not quite as much time involved.

I take a vaction day when we go to a contest.

Pam, a few weeks ago my next door neighbor decided to throw a sushi party. Mind you, we live in the Midwest. She wanted us to cohost (she's a nervous hostess). We made plenty of side dishes, then her husband, mine, and I sat down an hour before the party and made various kinds. I was surprised at how many people enjoyed it, and even the suspicious and some young children tasted it and had fun. Because of our location we opted out of raw fish ('though the three of us love it when it's appropriate), but crab, shrimp, cukes, avocadoes, scallions -- I could go on forever. Between the two households we had four Japanese cookbooks. He'd been to Japan, we've lived in Hawaii (a week didn't go by without sushi). But mostly just get good instructions and go for it. Now, sushi in the Netherlands. What a lovely thought!!

mish said:
GB, so that's where your avatar came from. Would love your recipe for the Polenta Oscar.

When it comes to the 3 C's (cooking, computing, & cars), still much to learn.

(BTW, still don't know how to put simleys IN my posts. Stumbling around.)
Polenta Oscar was actually quite easy to make. I made it a few years back the night of the Oscar awards. My wife really likes watching them, But I cant stand it. Anyway I made some polenta which was just 4 cups water (or I might have used chicken stock) over med-high heat. Sprinkle in 1 cup cornmeal in a slow steady stream, stirring constantly. stir until done (I just go by mouth feel). At the end I add some paremsan regiano cheese. I am not sure of how much, but I used a decent amount. take it out of the pan and put it on a cookie sheet to let cook. While it was cooling I went on the internet and found a picture of the Oscar statue. I printed it out and cut it out to use as a template. Once the polenta had cooled and firmed up I used the template and a knife to trace the shape and cut out a bunch of polenta oscars and other shapes. I then pan fried then in some olive oil until golden brown. I served this with my Bolognese Sauce (recipe can be found here... http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5051&highlight=Bolognese)

There really are so many things I'd love to learn or improve on, the list is endless. But...I would like to learn to bbq/grill. Seems like my husband has always been King of the Grill while I've done all the other dishes. I have yet to bbq a thing.

I have done quite a bit of canning but with relatives, so I would like to do it on my own and get my girls involved with helping.

I would like to be more creative in the kid friendly snack area, seems like we end up with the same things over and over, they are still eating them so that's fine but we feel the need for some variety.

And I would love to make sure that everything hits the table at the same time and I don't have to leave the table until it's time to clean up! :LOL:

I think I have cooked just about everything except for making candy. I don't know the reason why but for some reason I just have it in my head that I can't make candy but would like to some day try my hand at it.

Crewsk,

If you get to get the chance to do some canning, it is really easy and a lot of fun.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom