"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM   #1
Cook

"No Cook" Fridays

Does anyone else have the rule of no cooking on Fridays?

My girlfriend and I have made the decision not to cook on Fridays to give ourselves a break, so we eat out every Friday. My dilemma with this has become a dilemma for my wallet and my waistline.

I don't want to give up the freedom that Fridays offer, but I also don't want to be constantly eating in restaurants every Friday because it it taking its toll on my cash flow.

Does anyone have any solutions for how we can still enjoy a low-maintenance Friday meal at home? I've considered cooking earlier in the week and storing the meal in the freezer, but leftovers or a re-heated meal on a Friday just isn't my idea of fun. I'm looking for quick and easy meals that will still allow us to get proper nutrition, while still keeping in the spirit of a fun meal on Friday night.

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you out to eliminate eating out or would you consider lower cost options such as pizza or take-out places?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Cook

Well, I am guessing that we will eat out and get take-out still once in a while, like maybe once a month. I guess what I am looking for is for alternatives for those 3 other Fridays in the month. Quick and simple solutions for meals so that it doesn't take away from the fact that Friday is the "night off" from cooking. But I am willing to put some effort in, obviously, so that our food budget isn't as huge as it is now since we have a restaurant meal every Friday.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You could identify a good source of ready made meals and use them - they just need heating but taste really good. we have a butcher nearby who makes his own pies which are packed full of meat and taste wonderful. Other options are things like burgers, hot dogs or home cooked fish & chips use pre packed items.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef

How about quesadillas, panini, homemade pizza, clean out the fridge omelettes / pasta? You can use up your leftovers in those dishes.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

You can buy whole cooked chickens at Costco or supermarkets and use them to make sandwiches, quesadillas, salads, or use it as the protein in a full meal.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Before retirement I never cooked on Friday. Now its a little hard, maybe twice a month. The Fridays I do cook its soup and grilled cheese, something easy. Then popcorn or ice cream for a treat. Sometimes just breakfast, eggs, bacon etc. Nothing big !
Old 10-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L. View Post
Before retirement I never cooked on Friday. Now its a little hard, maybe twice a month. The Fridays I do cook its soup and grilled cheese, something easy. Then popcorn or ice cream for a treat. Sometimes just breakfast, eggs, bacon etc. Nothing big !

Ya, that sounds like a good idea. Soup and grilled cheese is a good quick meal...maybe even chili.

Loprraine & Andy - quesadillas sounds like a good plan, too...I've done them on my Foreman grill in the past and the turn out great! Thanks! We also like those Kraft pizza kits...simple and quick. I think Costco has pre-cooked chicken in bags (Lilydale I think) that we could use.

miniman - great idea! We have a local butcher close by that has some great beef on a bun, perogies, etc...and they are cheap.

You guys are definitely helpful! You've all spurred some ideas for me!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef

In middle school, we had pizza on Fridays. One of my friends parents would also order pizza every Friday. Weird.

How about making extra food one night during the week and have leftovers on Friday?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Cook a double batch of something for dinner early in the week then save the rest for Friday.