Nobody ate dinner on Wed. 2/17/16?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My dinner last night was leftovers. It didn't feel worth mentioning. :neutral:

To be honest, I really haven't felt much like cooking lately. I don't think I said anything here, but my wife and I have decided to separate after 20 years of marriage. Right now I'm living in an apartment with a crappy stove that doesn't exactly inspire great dinners. I would love to grill, since it's supposed to warm up this weekend, but alas, there is no grilling area here, either.

I don't mean to sound all "gloom and doom," but, unfortunately, this will probably be my living situation for the next 6 months until everything is settled and I can get back on my feet again.

Steve, you have lots of friends here, and thanks for sharing with us so we can help with your support. "When I'm Back On My Feet Again" can take time, but it will happen. When I was widowed Michael Bolton's song was my anthem.

CG, your dinner looks wonderful! All this talk of scallops has me wanting to check the grocery store for them again - I adore scallops. :yum:

I pulled a hunk of rare grilled vacuum sealed tri tip from the freezer yesterday, and had that for dinner. Just barely warmed it up, and it tasted as if it were freshly grilled. Garlic toast and a bowl of watermelon were sides.

Steve...I'm so sorry to hear about this turn of events in your life. Hang in there, we're all here for you. :wub:

I pan fried some low fat, low sodium Spam, then glazed it with maple syrup. Not bad. We had that with egg salad and green bean casserole.

Thanks, Cheryl. They were good even though they're the cheap broken pieces. Living close enough to where they are harvested, I'm able to buy a 1# bag of frozen pieces for under $6 sometimes. Yes, they're treated with STP, but I'm able to revive them so that they taste succulent and sweet. Sure they lose some of their size because of their original water content, but enough remains for large, tasty portions for the two of us. FWIW, I defrost them in the fridge, then soak in some cold water, drain and rinse well, layer between paper towels, and return to the fridge for an hour or two. They sear nicely, taste almost-fresh sweet, and are a bargain.

...To be honest, I really haven't felt much like cooking lately. I don't think I said anything here, but my wife and I have decided to separate...I don't mean to sound all "gloom and doom," but, unfortunately, this will probably be my living situation for the next 6 months until everything is settled and I can get back on my feet again.
Sorry to hear of this, Steve. You know your friends here at DC have your back and, more importantly, comfy shoulders, should you want to unload on faceless, anonymous, random people. ;) Any of us are only a PM away.

To be honest, I really haven't felt much like cooking lately. I don't think I said anything here, but my wife and I have decided to separate after 20 years of marriage. Right now I'm living in an apartment with a crappy stove that doesn't exactly inspire great dinners. I would love to grill, since it's supposed to warm up this weekend, but alas, there is no grilling area here, either.

Sorry to read this Steve. We will do our best to inspire you to fix good meals for your self.

Last night was the monthly community potluck. My baked chicken disappeared completely. I was counting on leftovers but that didn't happen. Also ate a spaghetti squash casserole, roasted butternut squash and onions, salad,and a great bean soup. Looked longingly at the chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies and ice cream. Still trying to lose some weight and desserts are off our menu.

Steve, I see you are in the same boat as the Mn Vikings. New stadium/ new apt. No place to grill, no place for tailgating. What to do, what to do. A 3-8 cleared Blocks (buildings) turned into New park-land with plazas (plural) leading up to the stadium and probably no park permits from the city forth-coming. I suggest you liberate a space toot-sweet and lead the rest of us hearty souls on how to do it up right.

Now, really. I feel really bad reading about your situation and while I may allude to somethings lightly, I know for certain it is not an easy time to go through. While we offer support, and we do as much beyond lip service as we can offer in any forum, , I hope you have a close circle you can also share and who offer their immediate help and support. The old adage about one day, one hour,, at a time. is sometimes important to follow. As hard as it is.

Meanwhile, feel free to "borrow" this deluxe grilling apparatus idea.

Attachments

• Urban Grill.jpg
    Urban Grill.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 191
Well, thanks everyone. Didn't mean to sound like a sad sack. Just feeling a little blue these days. It's good to have friends.

We're supposed to get temps in the 50s this weekend. I am bound and determined to go find a picnic area that has grills, just so I can take advantage of it.

Steve, is there anywhere you could put a little cheapo grill from Walmart? I remember in my camping days I always had one, ran about $10, plus charcoal. A little cast iron hibachi is also pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Not on MY side of the country. ;) At least I got the day of the week right, but the date/time showing up on my computer already displayed "18" and that's what I posted. Sorry. *hangs head in shame*

Do not hang your head in shame. I change my clocks ahead an hour a month starting in October because I can't stand watching it get dark at 4pm. Then I start switching them back in January. This is my second year doing that and so far I haven't had any slip ups with appointments - but I've come almighty close!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom