"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-11-2006, 07:43 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Wow, what a shame! The amount of disposable income people have lately makes it difficult for many people to justify a night out anymore. Fortunately, many people in the hospitality business know this, and try anything to earn your respect and repeat business.

Unfortunately, some chains seem to believe their cute jingles and glitzy kitsch is enough to bring in the customers. While they pride themselves on consistency (you'll get the same fajitas in MA as you should get in NJ), the ball gets dropped more often than not because someone doesn't know how to think on their feet. They just know how to follow the picture. I'm sure whoever plated the food knew very well that the meal was overcooked, yet banked on no one wanting to bother to correct it. The server should have also noticed it, and sent it back without even bringing it to your table. The server banks at the same joint as the cook, I'd bet. That was your back of the house breakdown.

Now, the front of the house was just as guilty. The hostess should never have asked if you wanted to have the cook make some more. She should have been walking back to the kitchen to get more before you could stop her. A simple 'I'll be right back with some fresh peppers and onions' would have set it right. Most people will say 'no thank you' if given the choice, even though they'd love to have it replaced.

Comping things is nice, but you were prepared to pay for your meal. Wouldn't you prefer to actually have the meal you ordered, as you ordered it, without the nasty tone? They should have fixed your meal, and given you a free dessert as well...

As for your choice of a 15% tip, too high, if you ask me. It's usually big cities that have a 20% rule (unwritten, but followed...) Outside of those big cities, many people know that 15% is a decent tip. The problem of shorting the tip wouldn't correct all your problems, however. The cook is not going to get any of that tip, he makes the same amount if he spoils your meal or not. More than likely, the hostess doesn't get any tip, either, unless you press a 20 into her hand for the choice table. So, the only people who are feeling your very adequate tip of 15% are the server and the waiter.

I would have left a five per cent tip. That sends a message. As for the hostess and the cook, I would have discreetly spoken to management about them. The restaurant is in the customer service industry. You are the customer and the service wasn't up to your satisfaction.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Luckily we did not let it ruin our time. My meal was still pretty good (the steak was cooked perfectly) and the company was top notch (wife and daughter) so we just laughed about it after the fact
Although I agree that you were a bit overly generous with the 15 percent tip, your attitude described here will undoubtedly allow you to live longer than those who let themselves get so bent out of shape by people and events essentially beyond their control.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Well said, VB.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Ya know, if you reaaally want to make a statement to your server, leave a penny. That's it. That way, he knows you haven't 'unintentionally' stiffed him, and it might make him made enough to think about his service!

Things do go wrong back of the house; I can remember one busy night when there were 2 of us on 'pantry', and for some reason everyone was ordering the 'gourmet' pizzas. I was getting ice cream out of the cooler for a dessert, whirled around and slammed right into my partner who was just pulling his pizza out of the oven; pizza all over the floor - and pizza is -not! - something you can do over quickly! Catering gigs where the server dropped a tray of aps it had taken us hours to assemble. Chef making shrimp stock, and the prep guy putting it all through a strainer in the sink 'cause he thought she wanted to goop in the stockpot!

Then there are all the little 'intrigues' that go on in the kitchen; I've worked places where the servers are afraid to go in the kitchen to ask the chef for anything different, or to correct an order. In my very! early years, I was a waitress at Durgin Park Restaurant in Boston, Mass. There were 3 pick-up lines the waitresses had to go through for main dishes; the fish line, the carving station, and the grill. The chef who ran the carving station developed a rather huge crush on me, and tried his best to win me over. When I showed up on my day off to pick up my check with my real boyfriend, he blew his stack. THe next day at work, whenever I came through the line to pick up an order of prime rib or turkey, he walked off his station - just walked off. The fish guy took pity on me, and carved what I needed, but brother it got me in dutch with all the waitresses waiting behind me!

Worked another restaurant where the chef was French - very! - and all the waiters were Serbian - talk about language problems! They would walk up to the line and not know the difference between lamb chops and beef borgnuinon, lol. So the chef just quit trying to tell them, and much hilarity ensued. I saw more French temper tantrums there than I have ever seen!

So, bottom line is there is so much going on behind the scenes; front and back of the house. If the server was in trouble with the hostess, he may have been 'afraid' to ask her to comp the meal. That's the way this biz works. They were both at fault for not trying to correct the food problem, but the 'water' issue was squarely on the shoulders of the server.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Ya know, if you reaaally want to make a statement to your server, leave a penny. That's it. .
i know people that have done that, and the server actually threw it at them as they left. it's happened more than once.

imo, respectfully marm, it's insulting. explaining your displeasure to the power that is (beyond the server), and if the situation calls for a tip, a percent based tip such as 5% makes the same statement.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:20 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Bucky, having been on both sides of the house, believe me, a penny tip makes its point - if the problem was squarely the server's fault; ie, the water and plate issue GB had. If the problem is back of the house, it's not the server's fault, and I would tip accordingly.

I've been on the receiving end of a penny tip, so I know exactly how it feels!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Marmalady, I loved your stories, but Auntdot sums it up for me when she says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Things screw up at restaurants.

The measure of a well run place is how they handle it.
It doesn't matter where the screw-up is or why, behind the scenes because of a crush or out in front because somebody's hired a dunce ... it's still ALL management's fault and the onus is upon them to make it right. Like GB said, someone just acknowledging the error and trying to make it right makes a world of difference.

GB, 15% is you when you're displeased?! 20% should be reserved for truly excellent service, 15% for average/satisfactory, and that wonderful penny for truly horrible, rude, useless service in order to make a point.

Everything else? Call the manager.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
GB, 15% is you when you're displeased?! 20% should be reserved for truly excellent service, 15% for average/satisfactory, and that wonderful penny for truly horrible, rude, useless service in order to make a point.
Yeah around here 20% is the norm (at least with the people I know), and actually it is even usually a little high than that because people often round up to the nearest dollar. I actually can not remember the last time (other than this experience) when I left less than 20%. I am seriously rethinking that practice though based on this thread. I now feel that I should have left 10% or so for this particular waiter.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

c'mon gb!

say it! saaaaaaaaayyyyyy iiiiiiittttt!

5 percent!

F I V E percent!

or marm and i will throw 10 % worth of pennies at you!

(i really think i am becoming homer simpson)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 AM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Maybe if I start getting lousy service and tipping 5% more often I can afford to go out to eat more