"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #31
Senior Cook

When I have bad service, I write a note on the bill--the bill usually has the server's name/initials on it. Something like: "Waited 30 minutes for a water refill! Billy Bob needs more training!"

At one local restaurant, a guy took our order for drinks, told us he was going to watch the football game (we didn't understand what he meant by that), then he brought our coffee and spent the next 45 minutes ignoring us while he watched TV in the bar, 15 feet from our table. We left 5 bucks on the table to pay for the coffee and walked out. Never went back, either. This is a fairly popular spot, too.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

I think Hopz hit the nail on the head when he said we become enablers if we leave a tip for crappy service. You're telling the server that it's OK to act that way. There's also the guilt/embarrassment factor behind not leaving a decent tip and your wife (or SO, or you) feels sorry for the server.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I think Hopz hit the nail on the head when he said we become enablers if we leave a tip for crappy service. You're telling the server that it's OK to act that way. There's also the guilt/embarrassment factor behind not leaving a decent tip and your wife (or SO, or you) feels sorry for the server.
I second this. If you just do it as a matter of course rather than a merit thing, waiters/waitresses can get to expect it. It's one of the frustrating things about having the service percentage imbedded in the bill which is common here. Crap service? Tough -- no recourse!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 AM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

I think my thought process was flawed. Since i was used to giving 20% I thought that 15% would be a way to show I was displeased. What I failed to realize is that the waiter did not know that my normal tip is 20% so in his mind I was completely satisfied.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFrench
When I have bad service, I write a note on the bill--the bill usually has the server's name/initials on it. Something like: "Waited 30 minutes for a water refill! Billy Bob needs more training!"
lol, i don't think i've ever had a waiter named billy bob.

have never been to texas, either, i reckon.

i agree that imbedded tips are wrong. just because there's 6 or more of you doesn't guarantee good service. if i know i'm gonna get stuck with a mandatory 18 or 20% tip, you'd better believe i'm gonna be a p.i.t.a. if something's wrong.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Waiting tables is so different now than it was when I was slinging hash, lol. When I worked at Durgin Park, the waitresses did all this:

-bussed the tables
-reset the tables with silver and water glasses, and made sure the pitchers of water were full at each table
-took orders
-filled drink orders - both alcoholic and non
-served appetizers
-bussed the tables
-served main course
-bussed the tables
-served dessert
-bussed the tables

with no busboys, chirpy little servers, or go-fers! We did'nt split tips, pool tips, or tip the chefs. What we made was ours.

I don't know when that all changed, but it really seems sometimes the wait staff feels they deserve that tip whether they've worked for it or not. If they don't provide me with the 'service', I don't provide them with the bucks!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:27 PM   #37
Executive Chef

how many times does this happen to all of us?...

....but most of us do nothing.
it's rude to be rude back, I've heard people say.
"two wrongs don't".........blah blah blah...............
how many restaurants or eateries are there in the very same vacinity?
why do these dwellings not care to be more cognicent of customer service?
do they not know that you could have gone anywhere? that you chose theirs to frequent? why do company's/businesses/corporations not care more about what makes you, the person that keeps their place open, happy and content and satisfied?

all I can say is this wasn't in Tennessee, was it.
My DH and I just got back from a mini vaca there a few days ago. suffice it to say, they are just plain nice folk. very considerate of us and our dining experiences.

I say, like others have too, I'd have left pennies on the table. because I think giving a 15% tip didn't emphasize anything to the server. he still got his tip. So pennies on the table, pulling the manager aside and telling him/her of your dissatisfaction with the restaurant/food/service [or lack there of] and mentioning that you won't be promoting this eatery to anyone you know, unless of course, it's in a negative form and the form will be complaints.

Okay, I feel better too having just gone to Paula Deens place. I've still got the letter on my computer but haven't had the nerve to send it and probably won't.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:30 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Luckily we did not let it ruin our time. My meal was still pretty good (the steak was cooked perfectly) and the company was top notch (wife and daughter) so we just laughed about it after the fact
and that means you still won. even tho the night wasn't superb 'there', the night was still superb!
Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I have been thinking about this topic a lot since I made this post. You all have convinced me that a smaller tip would have been the right course of action. I now agree with that.

But...now I am looking at it from the other side and wondering if it would really even make a difference. We are all saying that we need to send a message, by way of a small tip, that the service was not up to par. What I am now wondering though is if this message would really get across or if the waiter would just think he was being stiffed or short tipped. I have been on a number of websites where waiters and waitresses moan and groan about their jobs and getting bad tips. It is rare to ever hear any of them on these websites say that they deserved a bad tip. It is always the customers fault. Now to be fair to the waitstaff, I have seen a lot of people tip very poorly so I don't doubt it happens, but I am just wondering if the message actually gets through when it is mean to show how bad the service was.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

GB: In your situation, I'd bet the waiter doesn't even know he did anything wrong.