"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

I bet you are right Andy.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #42
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
every restaurant should be givin the oppertunity to right a wrong. There is ALWAYS something they can do to make sure the guest leaves with a smile on thier face.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #43
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have been thinking about this topic a lot since I made this post. You all have convinced me that a smaller tip would have been the right course of action. I now agree with that.

But...now I am looking at it from the other side and wondering if it would really even make a difference. We are all saying that we need to send a message, by way of a small tip, that the service was not up to par. What I am now wondering though is if this message would really get across or if the waiter would just think he was being stiffed or short tipped. I have been on a number of websites where waiters and waitresses moan and groan about their jobs and getting bad tips. It is rare to ever hear any of them on these websites say that they deserved a bad tip. It is always the customers fault. Now to be fair to the waitstaff, I have seen a lot of people tip very poorly so I don't doubt it happens, but I am just wondering if the message actually gets through when it is mean to show how bad the service was.
Gary: you are right. leaving pennies sends no message unless you TELL someone what was amiss. It's important to do that. Talk to the owner if that person is on premise, or the manager. If it's a chain, go on-line when you get home and email their customer service.

There is not one restaurant in the US that can afford to have one dissatisfied customer. For every restaurant that opens each year, TWO close. often because of inattention to detail. As consumers, we have the right to expect good service, and when we don't get it, we have an obligation to tell whomever it is that can make it better.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:21 PM   #44
Cook

How did we get from 10% to 20% over the yrs?

GB is right about the waiters ranting online. Check out some of those sites and you'd think us customers are the most evil scum walking the earth. Angry, angry, angry. I so love to go out to eat and well reward a server who makes that experience enjoyable. But if they have the "there's nothing I can do about that problem" attitude, what recourse do I have save to short tip and lodge a complaint? (And never go back?!)

I want to understand why the percentage of tippage (is that a word?) rises at all. Could someone well versed in econ explain it to me? Tips used to be 10%, then 15%, then 20% and now, in major urban areas 25%. A quarter of the tab is the tip?! But if the price of FOOD is going up thru the yrs (ever have a $10 sandwich at the local pub? I certainly have.) why should the TIP go up since it is based on the price of the food? I am never stingy w/ tipping, I just want to understand the WHY of the higher percentage thru the yrs.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #45
Sous Chef

I'd not have left a tip - but then your culture is a little different from mine! Not a cent; and an explanation to the waiter, the hostess, the manager, the cleaner, the doorman and anyone else who wanted to hear why I did not leave a tip. The waiter is part of a team, so they all have to take responsibility. If the waiter wanted to complain to the kitchen afterwards, good.
However, I leave a tip based on the service I receive, which is where the difference lies. No-one over here would ever DREAM of leaving 20%. GASP!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #46
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
The amount of the tip has gone up because in most places waiters are paid abut $2 an hour, if that. The restaurateurs have placed the well being of the waiter at the mercy of the customer in US. From my travels, I thought 20% was only common in large cities, and that elsewhere 15% was still the going rate. I have never heard of 25%!!! and don't ever intend to leave that much anywhere!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 PM   #47
Cook

ChefJune, 10 yrs ago did servers make a large base wage? I don't know how that used to work. Is the idea that servers used to make a real wage paid by the owner but now the slack is to be taken up by the customer? If that is the case I suppose the hike in % makes sense.

Let's say 10 yrs ago (this is a loose eg.!) I would pay $15 for a meal and now I'm paying $30 b/c prices have gone up. So didn't the tip go up accordingly wo/ the need to raise it from 10% to 20%? I'm so bad at the math! If my food price goes up, does not the tip as well wo/ the need for the % to go up?

As for the 25%, yes, sadly, I've heard some waiters in upscale joints say they think that is reasonable, 20% adequate, 15%...who knows, the customer gets to live in the 5th level of ****? But it seems ridiculous. Then again, if it was 15% a few yrs ago, why won't it be 25% sometime in the future? Maybe someday the tip will be equal to the bill!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:02 PM   #48
Senior Cook

I have read this thread with much interest. Real estate agents get a % of the selling price, as the housing price goes up, so do the %ages. Every person in this country gets paid a minimum wage. Any tipping is considered icing. We don't tip the pharmacy assistant, the dr. the nurse. We don't tip the plumber or the electrician. Why the waiter? S/he is already paid a wage. Some of the hotel or restaurants include a service charge as a separate item, I will not pay it. If the service has been superior I might leave some money, but not 20%. I consider it a distortion of meal cost. And others are right, why not 100%. Why not really fleece the customer. Goodness, why not leave 200%. I think tipping should be very much to the customers discretion, and if the waiters want more they should seek better paid employment. However, if the waiter proves to be a delightful addition to the meal I will leave a gratuity.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #49
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Always Hungry
To Insure Prompt(proper) Service......that is what tips really was based on.
If you've ever worked in the food service industry, you will know that most
waiters make a very small base pay. Their pay is based greatly on the tips
they make. After they clock out, they usually pay out to the bartenders, the busboys and sometimes the kitchen.

Keep this in mind when you are eating out. Those waiters put up with a lot
of attitude from rude customers (and I'm not saying waiters are perfect by-
any means).

I tip based on how good my service was and how attentive my server was.
The better they make my experience, the better their tip will be. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:12 PM   #50
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Hungry
To Insure Prompt(proper) Service......that is what tips really was based on.
This is actually just an urban legend. See here for more info.

If it really was for this then the tip would be given before the meal, not after so tipping after can not ensure anything for that current meal.