"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-16-2006, 08:45 AM   #61
Assistant Cook

Quote:
There's also the guilt/embarrassment factor behind not leaving a decent tip and your wife (or SO, or you) feels sorry for the server.
The power of the American media never fails to amaze me. In no other country would anyone feel guilty about not tipping. The waiters are doing that job through choice. Believe me, there are far harder jobs that are just as poorly paid and they NEVER get tips.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 AM   #62
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1968
The power of the American media never fails to amaze me. In no other country would anyone feel guilty about not tipping. The waiters are doing that job through choice. Believe me, there are far harder jobs that are just as poorly paid and they NEVER get tips.
I don't see what the media has to do with this at all.

Do not forget that in countries other than the US waiters and waitresses are paid a fair wage. In the US they are paid much less because tips are expected. I do not know the actual going rate, but I think it is something like 2$ an hour.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:03 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Do not forget that in countries other than the US waiters and waitresses are paid a fair wage. In the US they are paid much less because tips are expected. I do not know the actual going rate, but I think it is something like 2$ an hour.
That is a fair point, but that is not your fault. It is their bosses fault. It is a business not a charity!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #64
Chief Eating Officer

I don't know if we could say it is the bosses fault either. The profit margins of restaurants in the US are so razor thin that if the bosses were to pay their employees minimum wage then they would go out of business.

So what does this have to do with the media?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:44 PM   #65
Head Chef

Actually, GB, it's a little different than that....
You are right about profit margins. Most restaurants make about 10% profit after paying expenses. My husband and I make $ 50.00 for every $ 500.00 we run. Our average sales are less than $ 500.00 a day. Not pretty for all the hard work. Of course the big chains run a lot more money....so they have a lot more money

However, paying minimum wage wouldn't put us out of business....because just as every other expense there is...your menu prices reflect the cost of your restaurant.

What would put us out of business would be customers that won't pay the increased meal prices to cover that increase in payroll. In our case since we do such a low volume...every meal served would be increased 4-5 dollars. If I were a customer...I'd rather tip....and generously!