"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #11
Everymom

Thanks Sierra. Good ideas for me.

OK, I have an odd question. When you are making a wrap, do you pile everything in the middle and fold like a burrito? Do you pile at one end and roll it up? Do you fold the tortilla in half, pile stuff on the flat side and roll? Can you describe for me YOUR method of making a wrap and why you choose that method?

Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like to line all the ingredients down the middle and fold like a burrito with one end open. Then I wrap it in plastic wrap. Folding over the one edge keeps all the ingredients from falling out the bottom when you eat. This also leaves the top open to add dressing, if you choose to.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
Everymom

Thank you! That helps. I tend to mess around a bit and like to hear how everyone else does things and why.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
Master Chef

Alix, you are very welcome. Sometimes, I have wrapped the wrap in a paper towel to keep the ingredients intact and to keep the wrap from getting soggy. The paper towel seems to soak up the moisture without drying out the tortilla. Then I place wrap in a reclosable plastic bag.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #15
Everymom

Any other good lunch tips? I know all of us moms who will be packing lunches will thank you.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 AM   #16
Master Chef

Here are some of the things that I pack in my lunch that kids would like:
  • mozzarella cheese sticks
  • unsweetened applesauce
  • pretzels
  • small yogurt cups, but be careful some of these are loaded with sugar
  • homemade pizza
  • cottage cheese
  • your favorite cheese (for kids cut into fun shapes with mini cookie cutters), turkey salami, and whole wheat crackers
  • jerky - turkey or beef
  • 1/4 cup mixed nuts
  • cherry tomatoes, baby carrots, radishes, celery, cucumber
  • hummus and pita chips
  • champagne grapes - they are about the size of a pea, perfect for kids
  • drinks: juice w/out added sugar, soymilk (a favorite of mine), iced tea, water,
  • whole wheat blueberry mini muffins
One thing about lunch is that when you take one everyday it gets very boring. So, try to vary what you pack in your child's lunch. Try taking your children to a health food store and have them pick out some items that they might like in their lunches. On a cold day there is nothing more comforting and satisfying then opening a thermos full of homemade soup. So, the next time you make soup save some for your child's lunch. They even have whole wheat saltine crackers now to serve with the soup.

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
Head Chef

Cottage cheese and yogurt were on my list as well. Make a homemade ice pack (freeze a zip top bag with water) to keep it from spoiling.

Bagel sandwich / English muffin sandwich
Cottage cheese with salt and pepper, topped on cracker (my favorite is the new Town House Garlic and Herb Toppers)
Refried beans / black beans and salsa roll ups

I'm still on my first cup of coffee. If I think of more, I'll post!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Cade is taking a lunch now and since he does tend to be PICKY, I found out he loves tortillas and I played around with things and found several ideas for him with tortillas. I lightly coat the tortilla with cream cheese and put a layer of thin sliced chicken, then roll the tortilla like a cigar and slice into pin wheels, give him a toothpick and pack them in foil and he loves them.He also loves the homemade deviled ham idea I got from Shunka and will eat that if rolled into a tortilla cigar and sliced...He also loves just plain soda crackers with a smear of peanut butter and jelly or a thin slice of banana, same crackers with salami and swiss cheese or ham and swiss..With meats tho he likes a little butter on one side of the cracker This picky kids will eat a soft taco cold or room temp so he gets those too.Veggies he loves ant's on a log and carotts but for the carotts you have to send a small container of Ranch!!!He likes to take a slice of ham and soft cheese and roll them up with out bread to eat..He dearly loves for me to save cooked bacon, then when he gets here or to school and he can get his mom to help, we butter a hamburger roll, top with cheddar cheese,(thin sliced) then several slices of cooked bacon, put on the other half of the bun and nuke it just to melt the cheese.. He loves it..
My kids always liked to take leftovers from home..Ravioli,rice, fried chicken, a sandwich of thin sliced steak meat..Of course there were the usual bags of chips, m&m's homemade cupcakes or cookies or even slices of pound cake and they smeared them with cream cheese and strawberries..
I'm not remembering everything..I'm pooped tonight

kadesma
Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 AM   #19
Executive Chef

We like to get rotisserie chickens and shred them, then I stuff the chicken into a pita with a bunch of veggies, grated cheese and sunflower seeds.

We also like tortillas with peanut butter and honey. But I think you said no nuts?

String cheese is good. So is applesauce (we like this kind made by Santa Cruz, they make apple apricot and apple blackberry). My dad used to stuff mushrooms and olives with cream cheese. Bagel sandwiches.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #20
Everymom

Oh yum. Its early for me and I am now drooling in anticipation for lunch. Thanks all! Keep 'em coming!

Hey kadesma, where is that devilled ham recipe?