"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 08-31-2006, 11:33 AM   #21
Head Chef

I could have sworn I posted on this thread earlier...I must be losing my marbles....

Anyway, this is a very useful thread. Not just for mothers, but for wives who make packed lunches too. So thanks Alix.

My standby sandwich filling that is quick and easy but healthy in the mornings when I have not thought of anything better is : tinned tuna, some nice fresh spring onion, mayo to bind, and a splash of Worcester sauce. Sometimes I add sweet corn too, and it also works with shredding roast chicken. I like it with pached chicken, husband does not.

A complication in making adult packed lunches is that by there very nature they are often eaten over the keyboard or in a tie that has to get into an afternoon meeting. This has resulted in the refusal of things like fresh peaches (too juicy for the keyboard) and slices of quiche and pie also seem messier than sandwiches or salads.

Does any one have a good way of keeping salad FRESH that is prepared at breakfast? It seems to be less than appetising by lunch time, other wish i like the idea of sending a fresh salad with a shredded, marinatedf grilled chicked breast or piece of fish.

Cold meats always seem to do well, though, and cruditee lasts well.

The other thing I have done in the past is get tupperware pots and make up jellies (jello) with fruits in them. I wish jelly was safer to keep made up for longer. I believe three days is max, but still they are nice to eat and pretty. I think a big off putting thing about packed lunch is it can be visually depressing!

I think I might have to emply VeraBlue's tip and see if the bag with a picture distracts from the lack of imagination in the lunches.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Oh yum. Its early for me and I am now drooling in anticipation for lunch. Thanks all! Keep 'em coming!

Hey kadesma, where is that devilled ham recipe?
Alix,
I used the 3-oz. pack of cream cheese then added about 1/4 cup mayo and 6 thin slices of imported boiled ham... These are all about measurements you just need to mix it to the thickness you prefer. It was so easy in the small cuisenart and Cade, Carson and Ethan really liked it. I plan to try it with some roast beef as well. This way we are getting more meat into Carson...

kadesma

Old 08-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #23
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Does any one have a good way of keeping salad FRESH that is prepared at breakfast? It seems to be less than appetising by lunch time, other wish i like the idea of sending a fresh salad with a shredded, marinatedf grilled chicked breast or piece of fish.
Hey lulu, if I am sending salad, a damp paper towel on top of the salad or wrapped around the greens seems to work well. Don't put the meat in with the greens though. Add it later.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:39 AM   #24
Head Chef

Thank you! I'll try it!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:20 PM   #25
Everymom

OK, we are about to hit the "I'm bored" stage of lunches. Need some more ideas folks.

I do have a few limitations, my youngest daughter's school is nut free so no nut product of any kind allowed. My older daughter's school allows nuts, but her best friend is allergic to peanuts so no peanuts for her. Sigh.

I've been doing the thermos thing with hot stuff in it lately as the weather is getting chilly here, but they are getting picky about that too.

Anyone have any more brainstorms?
Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 AM   #26
Head Chef

Something like a Cornish Pasty?.....meat and veg all in one parcel....helps keep paws less sticky? You could make a bunch and freeze them, take them out to bake the night before, and have any number of fillings....
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I sometimes make pizzas at home using wholemeal pita bread with various toppings (not too many or they go soggy). They make a nice lunch cold and aren't too bad for you if you put a lot of vegies on and go easy on the cheese plus the bases are quite high in fibre especially compared to a usual pizza base.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

My son always ate the school food. But when I was little, when I carried, I carried stuff like egg sandwiche with mao,I did, tuna salad,ham salad. Never got sick.Probably ate between 11 and noon,so the stuff didn't sit in the "coat room"all that long.This is WAAAAAAY back in the mid 60's when I was in grade school.My parents owned a resturant so it was easier for mom just to bring it home from"the shop" the night before
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #29
Cook

Mum used to try different things. Cold Rissoles always rocked, and the muffin for morning tea was handmade. She had a few months of savoury muffins as well... Carrot and Zucchini, or ham and cheese. Meat was occasionally left out because, well, I eat it at dinner. I didn't mind that much.

Now that I'm working I tend to take what's left of last night's dinner. Cooking for one is difficult, so I cook for two or four, and get more meal for my money.

Why not make them get their own lunch? It might help stop the "OMG Lunch Sux!" issue, because they're responsible for it. Also, they've got to generate their own variety.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #30
Master Chef

Peanut butter and jelly and a piece of fruit was always a favorite with my kids. They also liked a plain cheese sandwich with Miracle Whip.