"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #31
Assistant Cook
when i was a kid taking lunches to school my dad always packed them for me so i never knew what kind of little surprises might be in there. i got teased a lot for not making my lunch--but hey i like the way my dad made it. sometimes he would put in sliced starfruit or kiwi. The starfruit is fun for kids cuz it actually looks like little yellow stars when it is cut. Any time that he ever packed a sandwich for me he always separated the veggies into ziplock bags so the bread wouldnt get soggy. i also appreciated the occasional "i love you" note from mom or dad. The idea about the drawings on the baggies is cute.

meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:55 PM   #32
Senior Cook
I think it would be nice if everyone would post daily pictures of what they put in their lunchbox! Like someone did before with the bento pictures (sorry, I forgot who)... Or describe what's in it, as a twist on the "what's for dinner" thread. It might help give the rest of us some ideas : ) I pack a lunch for my hubby and myself everyday, and it does require quite a bit of creativity to make sure that we'll both feel like eating it...

biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #33
biev, why don't you start a Whats for Lunch today thread everyday? I know lots of folks would be posting like crazy.

Oh, and the bento box threads were from grumblebee who I suspect is immersed in her schoolwork at the moment. I miss those too.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #34
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Alix
Oh, and the bento box threads were from grumblebee who I suspect is immersed in her schoolwork at the moment. I miss those too.
Funny you should mention those. I was thinking about them just the other day. I used to love seeing those pictures. Made me feel healthier just to look at them!
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #35
Senior Cook
I'll do that then : )
biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #36
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomtigger
I like this thread....I pack my lunch most days of the week, so I'm always looking for different ideas. I'm trying to eat healthier, plus I work at a school, so I'm also on the constant look-out for cheap healthy lunch ideas. The more for my money, the better! Any ideas, anyone?
phantomtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
Good packed lunches require good leftovers. On Sundays I try to make a large-ish something that will give me "pickins' through a couple days.
Can't go wrong with a big ol' bowl of cold mac salad or potato salad for sides.
One of my co-workers always carted in some great melange from the previous night's supper. It might be noodles with chicken, pea pods, carrots, etc. kind of chinese-style, or spaghetti with meatballs or sausage. Could be eaten cold or zapped.
I like to roll up slices of Sunday's roast in a tortilla with some cheese. Eat cold or zap. This could be anything; all manner of beef, pork, chicken, ham.
Buy those restaurant packets of mayo and mustard.
A staple is pepperoni and cheese. Try salami.
Meatloaf is made for leftovers. Some grainy-oaty bread, slathered with mayo on one side and mustard on the other, with slices of meatloaf inside, maybe slide in paper thin onion. I always wrap such a sandwich in papertowel then slide into a ziplock. This seems to keep things from getting too soggy.
I agree about the paper towel for green salads, too. Never pack 'em dressed.
There's a great item I learned in southern California; hot carrots! Hot as in briney/spicy. This makes a great little side. Can do it with grean beans too.
I think most of my suggestions are for adults, but certainly kids would do some of them, too.
For my kids I did banana and peanut butter on toasted oat bread. The toasting kept that from getting soggy. We also saw a good amount of bologna and cheese, cream cheese and jelly, pb and j.
moonglowlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:40 PM   #38
Head Chef
i take my lunch to work pretty much every day ..
i do not have access to any microwaves or the like ..
so a couple of my favorites ..
burritoes .. just meat cheese and salsa ...bake them in the oven for 10
mins the night before and wrap with saran wrap .. they are really
good and hold up well ..
grilled quesadillia (sp) cut into triangles and stick them in
tupperware .. these are always good ..
if you have a thermos .. fill with really hot water and put a couple
hot dogs in it in the morning .. come lunch time they are ready ..
anti pasta also is very good ..
love2"Q" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #39
Sous Chef
lunch eh?
we can buy lunch at school, but they are very typical school lunch type things. you can get:
burgers (beef or chick) with a salad and a drink
fries (spicy or reg)
bagles and cream cheese
some wraps
some different types of sandwiches, cheese and ham, egg salad etc.
because the school that I go to is very ethincally diverse they also offer chicken curry and rice on some days.

bagles and cc is the main one that I buy when I'm buying. and I have bought a slice of pizza and once I did break down and buy some spicy fries

But the students arn't limited ot what's in the caf. we can also go across the street where there is 2 different pizza places (pizza pizza, and at the other side of the "plaza" there is a double double). there is a also a very popular chinese place called Super Choy and a burger joint called "big boy burgers" (or something like that) that is in that same "plaza".

When I'm not buying I typically bring a wrap. just some cheese, onion, lettuce, cuke and some mirical whip. along with an apple and a bottle of water.
Lunches can get very boring around here which is why I love this thread, so many new ideas! I love the idea of bringing salads (sauce on the side), leftovers is also a good one.
of course none of this is helping me as I am now off school!!
It's laisez-faire, I don't even give a care.
Let's make Friday part of the weekend and give every new baby a chocolate eclair.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #40
Assistant Cook
When I went to public school K-8 grade, I would usually buy lunch from the cafeteria, but occaisonally I'd pack a lunch too. I remember things like goldfish crackers, pringles, carrot sticks w/ ranch dressing, tortilla chips w/ salsa, and PBJ or Ham and Cheese sandwiches....and chocolate pudding that came in those tubes like GoGurt. From high school on, when I was homeschooled, I usually came home for lunch each day (I only went one day a week :P ) but sometimes I brought lunch and I'd bring ramen noodles or TV dinners that I could microwave or something like that. Now I just make lunch at home basically as I finish up my senior year in high school. Although I do have a good wrap that has turkey, ranch dressing, American cheese, and shredded carrots. Might be good with shredded radishes or jicama too!

Like food that's quick, good, and easy to make? Visit my food and cooking blog at www.shorty82524.wordpress.com!
Shorty82524 is offline   Reply With Quote