Now that the holidays are over...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Is there anything special you like to cook this time of the year? I mean something you like to do in the winter to break up the monotony?

For me, the next three months are the times I make the most fresh pasta and the most bread. Sure, I'll do it other times of the year, but not like I do now. My ancient home gets way too hot to have ovens going in the summer and I refuse to put the pot on for pasta when it's too humid out.

I'm making brioche for breakfast tomorrow morning. I usually have to get out of bed around 4 or so to pull the dough out of the fridge for shaping and the final rise. I'll go back to bed and get up again about 6:30 to put it into the oven...by 7:15 wild horses couldn't keep Lou in the bedroom, it smells that good in the kitchen.

I'm making a roasted carrot fettucine for dinner tomorrow night, too.

What about you? Any winter kitchen warriors?

Actually, here in Italy it is not quite over, tomorrow is Epiphany and it is considered quite a major holiday, plus the second opportunity within two weeks for the kids to receive presents from Befana the witch!!

Anyhow, we just picked up some curious new ingredients, tamarind paste and galangal (dried ginger-like root spice), we would like to experiment with some southern asian dishes with them. (Chopstix... are you there? any suggestions???)

I'm with you, Vera. Our big old house isn't air-conditioned and it can get beastly in the hot weather months so I, too, try to keep the heat in the kitchen to a minimum then.

The winter's when I come alive. Lots of breads, rolls, etc. Also do more homemade pasta. However, I still need to get a electric motor to retrofit my Atlas pasta machine. Old arthur(itis) and carpal tunnel in my right hand is making it difficult to get enthusiastic about making pasta.

I also like to cook things long and low in the wintertime. Makes the house smell sooooo good. Oh, man, I'm making myself hungry and I just ate lunch.

All sounds wonderful!

Urmaniac, normally, I'd take my tree down on New Year's Day. My boyfriend cajoled me into leaving it till Epiphany. He always left his up through January 6 for that reason. So, I've got it up...and would love to hear about Befana the witch!...Pleasepleaselease

Tomorrow is Epiphany here too and it's a major holiday. So will be helping mil preparing the stuffed rooster which was not served during the New Year as it was celebrated in our house. Later in the evening, we will be attending a birthday party. Sunday is St John's feast day, another major event in Greece. So cooking at home will be on hold till next week. Throughout the cold months, will be making soups, stews, curries and breads.

Vera, Befana the witch (she is a good witch, not evil!) actually the traditional present carrier for children in this season in Italy, Santa Clause (or Babbo Natale) is much newer, the gift giving custom at Christmas only started here in the last couple of decades... so actually for the parents and relatives, Santa is a cause of a big headache as they have to go for the present hunt for their kiddies twice in such a short period. Befana also watches the behaviours of each children, and will bring the goodies to good boys and girls, and the naughty one receives rocks, like Charlie Brown at Halloween:LOL: . Actually, they also make a candy in the shape/colour of rocks for this holiday, and wildly sold for good and bad kids of all ages!!
And here is more story behind Befana!!

And yeah, I really like the fact that Epiphany is so important here, a great excuse to leave my beautiful tree and lights up just a wee bit longer!!:-p

I do a lot of winter squash and greens this time of year. I also usually make soup/stew at least once a week.

Once the holiday food is gone, I enjoy most any other type of food. It all seems so fresh and different after the richness of what had been the usual for a while. I like to forego desserts also in favor of fruit for a while.

Stocks, particularly beef stock, demi glaze and sauces. As well as the French onion soup I make from it. It warms the kitchen and the aroma is sublime.

Heavier foods like sauerbraten, casseroles, stews, baked beans, thick soups (particularly cream soups) are fare we usually like at this time of year.

It leads up to the corned beef and cabbage on March 17th.

After that we start to think of Spring.

Course the temperatures so far this season have been so warm we have been longing for our vine ripened tomatoes and late summer menus.

Oh well, I will gladly take what we now have and do not miss the biting cold of winter with ice and snow on the roads.

Now that the cookie season is over we'll get back to making bread - and pizza on Saturday night. We do a lot of braised dishes in the heating months. Sausage and cabbage last night. We have a nice chuck roast for Sunday. Leftover chili over spaghetti tonight. Leftovers are also a large part of our winter cooking, because it's little additional work to make larger batches.

Sigh, leftovers from New Year's eve officially ended last night (before you food safety police get on my case, they were frozen ...) so I WILL actually have to cook starting from today.

I have a big bunch of lovely celery bought about a week ago thinking of the delicious Greek dish "pork with celery" (now there's a catchy name), but guess what silly git forgot to get pork and guess what stores are closed today?!

Piffle!

I love to make soups, braise food, pasta, etc. I also go for lighter fare, for the most part, in January. Wish my DH enjoyed the same foods. He's all about junk food. Anything fried, McDonald's, sweets etc. Doesn't care for many fruits, veggies, etc.

Ayrton said:
I have a big bunch of lovely celery bought about a week ago thinking of the delicious Greek dish "pork with celery" (now there's a catchy name), but guess what silly git forgot to get pork and guess what stores are closed today?!

Piffle!
Ayrton, I am sure my DH would love you for the idea of making "Hirino me Selino!" He has been bugging me to do it and since it is my least favourite dish, have not got round to doing it. Wish I could pass the pork to you!!

Back
Top Bottom