NYD Shrimp fest, 1-1-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a roast duck yesterday so I decided to use the leftover to make a Chinese duck-noodle soup. The noodles are supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

I put the meaty carcass in my Instant Pot pressure cooker with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, rice wine and salt and cooked it for 20 minutes. Then I removed the duck, separated the meat from the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I put the meat back in the strained stock to keep warm.

I also microwaved some baby bok choy with Better than Bouillon chicken base and water, toasted the leftover duck skin and minced a green onion. Then I poured some of the stock over rice noodles to soften them.

Finally, it was time to eat! We put duck, stock and noodles into bowls and topped them with bok choy and duck skin. Then we seasoned the soup to taste with chile-garlic sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. It was pretty darn good. Happy New Year! :)

That sounds just fabulous to me GG. I adore roast duck, and the next time I'll do the same. I'm so durn hungry for noodles, that soup has me drooling.

Nice looking meals - again. A person could get chubby hanging around this pla...oops, too late! :LOL:

I can't believe how many of you ate chicken. :ermm: Don't you know that's bad luck? My Mom made sure we never had chicken on New Year's day. And I've continued the tradition since 2000. Mom would be proud. We did have a bit of southern cooking good luck on our plates, however. I made a lesser version of Hoppin' John, using only bacon and veggie broth with the black-eye peas and collard greens. Plenty of pot likker to sop up with dark Pumpernickel bread, too. Also had various kielbasi chunks in sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Would have had pickled beets, too, had I remembered.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2016!

I had never heard about eating chicken on NYE being bad luck, very interesting. Thanks!!!

In our family it meant good luck if you ate foods shaped like coins or things that reminded you of greenbacks. I still carry on a tradition from my paternal grandparents to pay all debts before the old year ends and not to spend any money on New Years Day or the days immediately following if possible. Funny the little traditions and rituals that we allow to shape our lives. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

That's not true for ducks, though, right? ;) The Chinese noodles are supposed to bring long life.

Neither of us likes Hoppin' John or collards, so we never pickled up that southern tradition.
The link that CG shared said that white was unlucky. Duck isn't white, so that shouldn't be unlucky. I hope you slurped your noodles. Apparently cutting them shortens your life, because they aren't long then. It's kinda hard keeping up on superstitions.

That sounds just fabulous to me GG. I adore roast duck, and the next time I'll do the same. I'm so durn hungry for noodles, that soup has me drooling.

Thank you, Kayelle! 20 minutes in the Instant Pot and the duck meat shredded easily off the bone. Next time I'll up the amount of seasonings, though.

The link that CG shared said that white was unlucky. Duck isn't white, so that shouldn't be unlucky. I hope you slurped your noodles. Apparently cutting them shortens your life, because they aren't long then. It's kinda hard keeping up on superstitions.

I know, right? Good thing I'm not superstitious - it's just fun for me. btw, I count the bok choy in the soup as greens ;)

That's not true for ducks, though, right?...
GG, not sure about the "white" thing per taxy's comment, but the page on Delish that your click should take you to says it's because chickens scratch for their food. The belief (or silly tradition for others, which is how we always saw it) is that you'll scratch for money all year. Since fowl don't scratch, by my figuring you're safe. ;)

...Funny the little traditions and rituals that we allow to shape our lives. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
True, Aunt Bea. I've always continued these little things not because I'm particularly superstitious, but because they're things my Mom did, so I look at it as a connection to her. :heart: Mom really wasn't superstitious either, but she did have a few "can't do's" on her list. Number one? You CANNOT go to the bathroom during a baseball game or card game if your team is winning. NEVER. Bad, bad, bad. Guess it applies to college football, too, since Notre Dame scored on our Buckeyes a couple times after my trip to "The Library". :ermm: :ohmy: At least OSU still won. *phew*

Nothing special food wise for us on NYD.......Spent the day at my daughter's house with a bunch of people. We made a couple of dozen American tacos with a bunch of leftovers from the night before. The spiked ponche tasted even better the next day....
We all spent a lazy day watching the Rose Bowl and a couple of movies.

GG, not sure about the "white" thing per taxy's comment, but the page on Delish that your click should take you to says it's because chickens scratch for their food. The belief (or silly tradition for others, which is how we always saw it) is that you'll scratch for money all year. Since fowl don't scratch, by my figuring you're safe. ;)
:doh: D'oh!

I was mixing up the next one about white with the one about chicken. Well, it did have a picture of eggs, which come from chickens. I think of chickens as having lots of white meat.

It's not just scratching for food. It's also that they scratch backwards.

Yeah, that too!

All this talk about superstitions has me wondering what other things people do to appease "the gods". I bet we could have a good conversation if we had a thread for it scampers off to the Off Topic sub-forum...

. True, Aunt Bea. I've always continued these little things not because I'm particularly superstitious, but because they're things my Mom did, so I look at it as a connection to her. :heart: Mom really wasn't superstitious either, but she did have a few "can't do's" on her list. Number one? You CANNOT go to the bathroom during a baseball game or card game if your team is winning. NEVER. Bad, bad, bad. Guess it applies to college football, too, since Notre Dame scored on our Buckeyes a couple times after my trip to "The Library". :ermm: :ohmy: At least OSU still won. *phew*

This made me laugh!!!

When we were kids we could not use the bathroom at my grandmother's house during a thunderstorm, in case the lightning hit the house and traveled through the pipes. It was the same with using the telephone, doing dishes, watching the television, etc... I have often wondered how many people she knew that were killed that way. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Mom wouldn't let me use the phone, but I think we still watched TV. I know during one really bad electrical thunder storm I was sitting on the couch about two feet from a floor lamp, which was on. We heard a crack of lightning, the bulb blew out, and I got a tingle in my elbow and lower arm. :ohmy: Found out years later, when I was having Mom and Dad's house fixed up for sale, that my dear Dad never grounded the outside receptacle that was tapped off of the same line as the living room outlets. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom