NYD Shrimp fest, 1-1-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We found some blood oranges at Whole Foods (Paycheck :mrgreen: ) and needed something to do with them so....

37240-albums1008-picture6349.jpg

Blood orange and shrimp escabeche in the ramekin "scallop," steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce, gaucamole and home fried tortilla chips.

Last edited:
Today I made a pan of spinach lasagna without the noodles and a salad for lunch.

Supper was leftover wings from last night and a salad.

I made the wings with a process that was new to me. I took six fresh wings and cut them into 12 pieces. I shook the wings in a paper sack, to lightly coat them, with a mixture of 1T baking powder, 1t salt and various seasonings. I placed the wings on a rack and put them in the refrigerator for about six hours then I roasted them at 350F for approx 45 minutes. The baking powder/salt mixture drew the moisture from the wings and the skin crisped up as though they had been deep fried while the meat stayed moist. I want to try this process the next time I roast a beer can chicken in the oven.

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning off the driveway from a few inches of snow that was topped off by rain, then plummeting temperatures, leaving a few inches of hard pack frozen crud. Then cleaned off the patio so I could get to the grill. That means

BURGERS ON THE GRILL!!!!

Great feeling to thumb your nose at Old Man Winter and pretend it's summer.

Made another pot of my tex-mex hot and sour soup. I did quick pickled cabbage and rutabaga since I didn't have anymore pickled cabbage. Added black beans and spinach this time to the same soup I made last week. Might need another bowl....

I made a roast duck yesterday so I decided to use the leftover to make a Chinese duck-noodle soup. The noodles are supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

I put the meaty carcass in my Instant Pot pressure cooker with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, rice wine and salt and cooked it for 20 minutes. Then I removed the duck, separated the meat from the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I put the meat back in the strained stock to keep warm.

I also microwaved some baby bok choy with Better than Bouillon chicken base and water, toasted the leftover duck skin and minced a green onion. Then I poured some of the stock over rice noodles to soften them.

Finally, it was time to eat! We put duck, stock and noodles into bowls and topped them with bok choy and duck skin. Then we seasoned the soup to taste with chile-garlic sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. It was pretty darn good. Happy New Year! :)

Attachments

• 1451697426143.jpg
    1451697426143.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 172
Those are good looking meals Medtran and Steve.

We put out some crudités, cheeses, pâté, kippers in a can, smoked oysters in a can, devilled eggs, dip, rye crispbread, rugbrød, and regular whole grain bread. We had the leftover bubbly from yesterday, which was, surprisingly, still good and still bubbly.

_5bfCd8tV0Mz7CrghaVgGweEqVzUTpXLaihCXf6plAb6X2B7AijUI_MjstfWHb2xlYTGGQ=w1366-h768-no

I made a roast duck yesterday so I decided to use the leftover to make a Chinese duck-noodle soup. The noodles are supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

I put the meaty carcass in my Instant Pot pressure cooker with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, rice wine and salt and cooked it for 20 minutes. Then I removed the duck, separated the meat from the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I put the meat back in the strained stock to keep warm.

I also microwaved some baby bok choy with Better than Bouillon chicken base and water, toasted the leftover duck skin and minced a green onion. Then I poured some of the stock over rice noodles to soften them.

Finally, it was time to eat! We put duck, stock and noodles into bowls and topped them with bok choy and duck skin. Then we seasoned the soup to taste with chile-garlic sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. It was pretty darn good. Happy New Year! :)
Happy New Year / Godt Nytår to you too. That looks and sounds yummy. Tell me about your "Instant Pot pressure cooker".

Oh boy, what great sounding and looking dinners tonight!

Bea, I'm sure going to use your hint about Baking Powder wings. I need to use it for something.:rolleyes:

I'm was going to do lamb chops, but I'll save them for tomorrow as I just don't feel like cooking tonight. Carl's Jr. Tex-Mex-Bacon Thick Burgers, mine without the bun, will solve that.:yum:

Tasty looking meals guys. Way to start the New Year.

Neither of us wanted to go out today/ get together even though it was a nice day. I came home last night with my pockets stuffed. Well, not literally in my pockets.

I made shredded pesto chicken salad sandwiches with pesto/ mayo, lettuce, sliced tomato, and sliced jack cheese. good. Leftover salad and a bowl of cold rice pudding. I had pudding for breakfast too.

Last edited:
Pirate made some roasted garlic mashed potatoes, broccoli, and baked seasoned chicken thighs. I had a very small helping of everything and still couldn't clean my plate. And I had a salad plate. Then about five minutes after I stopped eating, I checked my weight. Something I do regarding my diabetes. Scale is right on. I had lost five pounds! HUH! I eat a meal and lose five pounds from eating one meal?

Now that may sound good for some folks, but not me. My medical team does not want me to go below 120 lb. Tonight I am down to 115 lbs. I need to start eating.

I personally think that is a great way to start out the new year. Who hasn't made a wish to lose weight at the start of a new year.

Good luck to all and may this year bring you everything you want. :angel:

Wow! What fabulous pics and great sounding dinners! :yum:

My brother and I had a great day. He came over early, dinner was around 2, and the chili, tamales, and jalapeno cheddar corn muffins were the perfect hot meal on a cold (for us) California day. He left around 5 - I cleaned up, sat down in the recliner for 'a few' and woke up around 7:30. :LOL:

Nice looking meals - again. A person could get chubby hanging around this pla...oops, too late! :LOL:

I can't believe how many of you ate chicken. :ermm: Don't you know that's bad luck? My Mom made sure we never had chicken on New Year's day. And I've continued the tradition since 2000. Mom would be proud. We did have a bit of southern cooking good luck on our plates, however. I made a lesser version of Hoppin' John, using only bacon and veggie broth with the black-eye peas and collard greens. Plenty of pot likker to sop up with dark Pumpernickel bread, too. Also had various kielbasi chunks in sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Would have had pickled beets, too, had I remembered.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2016!

Gee, I simply do not know of any special New Year meal for the New England region. The only thing I ever heard was about putting money out before midnight and making it the first thing that entered the home on the first day of the new year. But nothing about food. Except the Southern practice of black eyed peas. If any New Englander knows of something, I sure would like to know it. :angel:

In Denmark the tradition is cod for NYE. By then, they have been eating rich food for well over a week and something lighter is considered a good idea.

In Denmark the tradition is cod for NYE. By then, they have been eating rich food for well over a week and something lighter is considered a good idea.

Hmmm. The Cod is the fish of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There is a huge wooden one hanging in the Legislature Chambers.

Cream salted cod over mashed potatoes with frozen peas. Haven't had that in a long time. It may become my NYE meal. :angel:

We were invited to friends' home for dinner . She is a native southerner and served us ham. black eyed peas( to die for) . I brought a salad and another friend brought corn bread. We had a lovely evening. Very laid back. Always nice to be with friends.

Nice looking meals - again. A person could get chubby hanging around this pla...oops, too late! :LOL:

I can't believe how many of you ate chicken. :ermm: Don't you know that's bad luck? My Mom made sure we never had chicken on New Year's day. And I've continued the tradition since 2000. Mom would be proud. We did have a bit of southern cooking good luck on our plates, however. I made a lesser version of Hoppin' John, using only bacon and veggie broth with the black-eye peas and collard greens. Plenty of pot likker to sop up with dark Pumpernickel bread, too. Also had various kielbasi chunks in sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. Would have had pickled beets, too, had I remembered.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2016!

That's not true for ducks, though, right? ;) The Chinese noodles are supposed to bring long life.

Neither of us likes Hoppin' John or collards, so we never pickled up that southern tradition.

Back
Top Bottom