"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-01-2016, 06:47 PM   #1
Head Chef

NYD Shrimp fest, 1-1-2016

We found some blood oranges at Whole Foods (Paycheck ) and needed something to do with them so....

Blood orange and shrimp escabeche in the ramekin "scallop," steamed shrimp with cocktail sauce, gaucamole and home fried tortilla chips.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
Master Chef

Today I made a pan of spinach lasagna without the noodles and a salad for lunch.

Supper was leftover wings from last night and a salad.

I made the wings with a process that was new to me. I took six fresh wings and cut them into 12 pieces. I shook the wings in a paper sack, to lightly coat them, with a mixture of 1T baking powder, 1t salt and various seasonings. I placed the wings on a rack and put them in the refrigerator for about six hours then I roasted them at 350F for approx 45 minutes. The baking powder/salt mixture drew the moisture from the wings and the skin crisped up as though they had been deep fried while the meat stayed moist. I want to try this process the next time I roast a beer can chicken in the oven.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:45 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning off the driveway from a few inches of snow that was topped off by rain, then plummeting temperatures, leaving a few inches of hard pack frozen crud. Then cleaned off the patio so I could get to the grill. That means

BURGERS ON THE GRILL!!!!

Great feeling to thumb your nose at Old Man Winter and pretend it's summer.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Went on our Stillwater MN cave tour and wine tasting today. What a lot of fun!

Had a wonderful rack of lamb in the restaurant afterwards.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:01 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Went on our Stillwater MN cave tour and wine tasting today. What a lot of fun!

Had a wonderful rack of lamb in the restaurant afterwards.

This has been placed on the "list"!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Made another pot of my tex-mex hot and sour soup. I did quick pickled cabbage and rutabaga since I didn't have anymore pickled cabbage. Added black beans and spinach this time to the same soup I made last week. Might need another bowl....
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I made a roast duck yesterday so I decided to use the leftover to make a Chinese duck-noodle soup. The noodles are supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

I put the meaty carcass in my Instant Pot pressure cooker with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, rice wine and salt and cooked it for 20 minutes. Then I removed the duck, separated the meat from the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I put the meat back in the strained stock to keep warm.

I also microwaved some baby bok choy with Better than Bouillon chicken base and water, toasted the leftover duck skin and minced a green onion. Then I poured some of the stock over rice noodles to soften them.

Finally, it was time to eat! We put duck, stock and noodles into bowls and topped them with bok choy and duck skin. Then we seasoned the soup to taste with chile-garlic sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. It was pretty darn good. Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1451697426143.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	24097  
Old 01-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Those are good looking meals Medtran and Steve.

We put out some crudités, cheeses, pâté, kippers in a can, smoked oysters in a can, devilled eggs, dip, rye crispbread, rugbrød, and regular whole grain bread. We had the leftover bubbly from yesterday, which was, surprisingly, still good and still bubbly.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made a roast duck yesterday so I decided to use the leftover to make a Chinese duck-noodle soup. The noodles are supposed to bring good luck in the new year.

I put the meaty carcass in my Instant Pot pressure cooker with ginger, garlic, five-spice powder, rice wine and salt and cooked it for 20 minutes. Then I removed the duck, separated the meat from the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I put the meat back in the strained stock to keep warm.

I also microwaved some baby bok choy with Better than Bouillon chicken base and water, toasted the leftover duck skin and minced a green onion. Then I poured some of the stock over rice noodles to soften them.

Finally, it was time to eat! We put duck, stock and noodles into bowls and topped them with bok choy and duck skin. Then we seasoned the soup to taste with chile-garlic sauce, sesame oil, sesame seeds and green onion. It was pretty darn good. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year / Godt Nytår to you too. That looks and sounds yummy. Tell me about your "Instant Pot pressure cooker".
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

Oh boy, what great sounding and looking dinners tonight!

Bea, I'm sure going to use your hint about Baking Powder wings. I need to use it for something.

I'm was going to do lamb chops, but I'll save them for tomorrow as I just don't feel like cooking tonight. Carl's Jr. Tex-Mex-Bacon Thick Burgers, mine without the bun, will solve that.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shrimp