"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 12-29-2007, 06:07 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
strawberries and black pepper.

never tried it myself but it`s supposed to work quite well, another one is Tobacco in chocolate, I wouldn`t try that on Principal, but apparently it`s quite nice and sells well???

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #12
Head Chef

My father puts black pepper and oil on orange slices. I have never had it.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by affable_artist View Post

In the kitchen at work today, a coworker and I were talking about strange food combinations. I explained what I've said above and mentioned that one "experiment" that worked out well for me was cooked ramen noodles on top of a slice of bread with peanut butter. She thought it the oddest creation she'd ever heard of.

Her contribution was a toasted bagel with salsa on it.

What's the strangest, most non-conventional meal you've tried and loved?
I don't find either of those that strange (maybe that says something about me ). The noodles with peanut butter thing sounds like a poor students version of Pad Thai (if you really use your imagination).

Speaking of poor students, the weirdest food combos ever (and no one will beat this I am sure) came from my old college roommate. Just one of the many weird things he would do is take a hot dog roll and put a few scoops of ice cream in it. He would then put bologna on top then. After that would come the ketchup (he put ketchup on EVERYTHING). Then to top it off came the fried egg. He was Thai and tried to convince us that everyone in Thailand ate this snack. When I spoke to his mom once she said he was full of it and that his "snack" sounded like the most repulsive thing she had ever heard of and no on in Thailand would eat something like that.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
my personal Strangest was when I spent some time in a mental hospital (No I`m not crazy, someone had spiked my drink with LSD and it affected me VERY badly).
the food there was pretty awful and there wasn`t enough of it either (not sure if that was actually a Blessing!), so in the middle of the night I would sneak out across the hall to the rec room to the other side towards the kitchen, now they Always locked that, but I found I could slide in through the Serving hatch (they didn`t lock that).
well there was nothing really in there, just several loaves of bread for morning toast, a few boxes of bland cerial and this jar of Mayo in the condiments cuboard.
so I made mixed Mayonaise and bran flakes in a bowl and put that on some bread slices (taken from the middle of the loaf) and ate that for 5 nights on the run :)

no one ever found out either

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Peanut butter and raw onion sandwiches. My DW also thinks pineapple & chilli to be a very wierd combination.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Wow, I never had peanut butter with bacon on a sandwich. I guess I'll have to try it someday. Can I ask, is it like making grilled cheese? Do you toast the bread and then spread on the peanut butter and cooked bacon slices? Sounds like something my 4-year old would actually eat, he's so picky about food, but loves peanut butter & bacon, just never had it together. TIA.

The strangest combo my mom fixed us growing up is really not all that strange I guess. She would brown some Spam cubes and add a little tomato sauce and then a can of green beans (had to be canned, not frozen or fresh) with the juice and then serve it over rice. I still like it.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

When my ex-husband was growing up they used to make what they called "weiner soup" (I know, it sounds scary!). They were poor and had to make due with what they had. It was basicly potatoes, carrots and hot dogs cooked in water. When I was raising my kids and got low on money, I thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't bad. I updated it with onions, celery and chicken broth, fancied it up with a bay leaf and some thyme, now I make it every now and then just because it's easy.

My father used to put milk on his jello.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:48 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
strawberries and black pepper.

never tried it myself but it`s supposed to work quite well, another one is Tobacco in chocolate, I wouldn`t try that on Principal, but apparently it`s quite nice and sells well???
Hey there, YT. I know that Heston Blumenthal has a show over the pond He deals with these types of combos on a molecular level and explains why they work together.

Chili and Chocolate have been a LONG standing standard in South America since the time of the Incas.

As for the strawberries and pepper, I used to do a hulled strawberry stuffed with rosemary scented chevre, then just lightly roll the cheese part on cracked black pepper. Great combo.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #19
Head Chef

Dill pickle slices on pizza is excellent.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
DH used to eat peanut butter and bread with spaghetti - , one of my sons ex-girlfriends always ate salt and vinegar chips with pizza !