Official 2019 Thanksgiving Dinner Thread ~ 11-28-2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Himself's tummy was wobbly last night, so we nixed the stuffed cabbage rolls. Instead, I made the dinner I was going to cook yesterday before I got my flu shot - chicken and mushrooms in a creamy mustard sauce. Served it up with fresh asparagus and a crispy baguette. Still waiting for that to settle and make room for pie. There will be pie.
IMG_20191128_211825183.jpgIMG_20191128_221528837.jpg

Dinner was delightful. Before dinner we celebrated our grandson's 13th birthday. We suggested he save the "1" and "3" candles for his 31st birthday.

This was a "perfect" year as everything turned out great. the turkey was moist and delicious, the sides were all right on. Desserts were a hit, especially GS's chocolate birthday cake.

Most of all, we all had a great time laughing and talking. All told I feel like I have a lot to be thankful for.

Hosted dinner and had a great time with the fam. Some of the dishes we made:

Turkey (lemon, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaves, bacon)
Lasagna
Wax turnips w/butter mashed
Rice w/chorizo
Potato salad
Flan
Chocolate cake w/raspberry and choc ganash filling

Cheated on stuffing (stove top) and Gravy :)

47-B684-F6-373-F-4-C2-A-A31-E-60-A18-C263-EC4.jpg

Last edited:
Iy's 12:30a.m. and we are just now eating. I wom't get into everything that went wrong today. Still I am thankful to be in a warm home, with enough to eat, and good people to talk to. Wish I could have shared this day with extended family though. I hope all of you had a great day.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

We ordered out. I had a Cobb salad with crispy chicken. DH had a club roll and got a salad with it instead of fries. It was good.

Overall, a nice day, food was typical.

Only cringe-able moment was when I brought my Stuffed Brussel Sprouts, which were systematically layed out in 2 separate tins, as I did not want them to be stacked on top of each other. When it was time for dinner, my sister in law ( whose was the host) took one tin of the stuffed Brussel sprouts and literally ( and carelessly) dumped in into the other tin. The look on my face was priceless, as the individually stuffed burssel sprouts were now a pile of upside down, sideways half stuffed half mess pile.

My sister in law has no concept of cooking and presentation ( and we all know that, so I take some of the blame for not just putting them out on the table myself). But a once nice, unusual elegant dish turned into an unappetizing pile. All but 3 went ( out of about 30) so I guess the presentation was overlooked. but I spent so much time making it look so nice and perfect, all for it to end up as a slop pile in a matter of seconds :ROFLMAO:

Oh well

Appetizers/Lunch

Green olive, cream cheese & walnut popper, marinated mushrooms and stuffed mushrooms.

Thanksgiving_poppers_mushrooms_112819_IMG_6447.jpg

Thanksgiving_appy__stuffed_mushrooms_112819_1_IMG_6451.jpg

Dinner (hubs plate) - turkey, steamed brussels sprouts, asparagus, stuffing, glazed carrots, creamed onions, homemade whole berry cranberry sauce, homemade cranberry tangerine relish, green bean casserole, sweet potato & acorn squash mash, mashed yukon potato & turnip and gravy.

Thanksgiving_dinner_112819_IMG_6455.jpg

Apple pie, pumpkin pie with whipped cream 3 hours later.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with kids, grands, great grands and the family of grand DIL..

The turkey, ham and a plethora of sides was delicious as were two different pies and an apple tart.. :yum:

My role in food prep/cooking was minor and I liked having the younger people do all that.. Jeannie didn't have to do cleanup and she was pleased with that..

Being old is good, at times.. ;)

Ross

We went out to a local restaurant with family - food was good and plentiful, with enough for leftovers. But Mom and I enjoyed talking with the family even more.

My dinner plate: turducken roulade, roast brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes Foster, gravy, homemade rolls, wild rice and cherry dressing. Craig also had some slices of his smoked turkey breast and the andouille/trinity dressing with bread crumbs. The turducken was good and was moist all the way through. Will I do it again? Probably not unless I really, really need to impress somebody. My bread got a little too brown, as did the roast Brussel sprouts. I think the new oven may be running a bit hot because I set timer for just over half the time so I could switch pans. Good thing I did, otherwise bread would have been ruined. I ended up putting some chocolate pieces in some of the bread dough, so that will be our dessert.

Attachments

• 2019-11-28 17.34.56.jpg
    2019-11-28 17.34.56.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
My dinner plate: turducken roulade, roast brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes Foster, gravy, homemade rolls, wild rice and cherry dressing. Craig also had some slices of his smoked turkey breast and the andouille/trinity dressing with bread crumbs. The turducken was good and was moist all the way through. Will I do it again? Probably not unless I really, really need to impress somebody. My bread got a little too brown, as did the roast Brussel sprouts. I think the new oven may be running a bit hot because I set timer for just over half the time so I could switch pans. Good thing I did, otherwise bread would have been ruined. I ended up putting some chocolate pieces in some of the bread dough, so that will be our dessert.

Hi, belated Happy Thanksgiving, sorry about that. Your turducken looks really nice and moist.

We had a real nice dinner last night at DD and we played a crazy new game called "Exploding Kittens". DH's Beer Dip went over real good.

Hi, belated Happy Thanksgiving, sorry about that. Your turducken looks really nice and moist.

We had a real nice dinner last night at DD and we played a crazy new game called "Exploding Kittens". DH's Beer Dip went over real good.

Same to you. Glad you had a nice thanksgiving.

A new stove always takes some getting used to. Even the range cooks different than our old one.

Back
Top Bottom