OFFICIAL Dinner Thread Monday the 3rd (12/3/18)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I found 7 different "days" for this date. I'll go with "Let's Hug Day"

I'm making a dish I originally found in an old church cookbook many years ago. It's made with cube steak seared in a skillet and topped with a sauce made with mushrooms, onions, sour cream and V-8 juice (originally tomato juice). I'll serve it over egg noodles along with steamed green beans.

What are your plans for dinner?

DD is making a whole roasted chicken, asparagus, roasted (Yukon & red) potatoes, mushrooms and onion, stuffing and gravy.

Cheese on toast with bacon and slice of onion and tomato. Grilled. The cheese I used was tasteless.

Russ

Sounds good, Andy. There are a lot of great recipes in those little church ladies cookbooks. :chef: I have several that were my grandmother's, and you've inspired me to get them out and browse through them again.

This evening's dinner will be roasted shrimp with lemon/garlic butter, and steamed broccoli.

I found 7 different "days" for this date. I'll go with "Let's Hug Day"

I'm making a dish I originally found in an old church cookbook many years ago. It's made with cube steak seared in a skillet and topped with a sauce made with mushrooms, onions, sour cream and V-8 juice (originally tomato juice). I'll serve it over egg noodles along with steamed green beans.

What are your plans for dinner?
Can you post the recipe? I like cube steaks but others not so much. This sounds like they would like it.

DD's Roast chicken, roasted Yukon potatoes, red potatoes and mushrooms, stuffing, steamed asparagus (topped with butter and grated parm reg & pecorino romano) and gravy.

roast_chicken_120318_IMG_5135.jpg

"Let's Hug Day" sounds like a great holiday to me!!

I defrosted the "ham bone" we bought from Honey Baked Ham store and discovered it has around 6 cups of delicious ham on it! The bone will be used for soup tomorrow, but I'll use about 2 cups of diced ham to make an easy "blast from the past" dinner tonight.

My family used to love this, and I know my SC will too.

1 family size box of Kraft Mac & Cheese (made per directions)
Mix in:
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups of chopped ham
Put in a buttered casserole with buttered Panko crumbs on top. Bake at 375 till topping is browned and dish is hot.

Easy peasy...

Last edited:
I was going to make an omelette for supper. But, I'm having a visual migraine and can't see straight, so DH ordered Thai food for us.

I had just ground 7 1/4 lbs of beef, and after foodsavering 6 lbs of it, I figured that I'd do something with what was left. I remembered somebody on one of these daily dinner posts mentioning Thai basil beef, which made my mouth water when I read that! So, I made some tonight! This was the type made with ground, rather than sliced beef . The beef I ground was very low in fat - some london broil I got on sale, and almost all the fat was removed, which is unusual. It doesn't brown as easily with little fat, so I used my cast iron wok, well heated, with some coconut oil added and swirled around, then I crumbled the meat in gradually, which allowed the meat to get some char on it, instead of just steaming. Then, when totally browned, I made a well, added a little more coconut oil (the meat sucked up almost all of the original oil), then added 10 frozen red Thai peppers, sliced thin, and 6 large cloves of garlic, minced, and cooked about 30 sec. Then I added 2 tb fish sauce, and a tb of thick Thai soy sauce (the stuff with molasses), plus a tb of palm sugar, and stirred the meat in to mix with the seasonings. Here, since I was the only one eating it, I removed 2/3 of it for leftovers, then tossed in about 1/2 c Thai basil leaves, and that was it! Served on the rice/millet mix, described below. On the side, I had some SF asparagus, with some nam prik pao.

Years ago, I weaned myself off of eating plain jasmine rice with all that Thai food I made. I'd buy 25 lb bags at the Asian market, and that was almost entirely for just me! Brown jasmine and basmati don't have the flavors - that aroma is covered by other flavors. Most whole grains I tried it with did the same, until I tried millet, which is a sort of neutral flavored grain, and that lets the flavor of the jasmine rice come through. Takes a little longer to cook, but not much, so I soak it a little, while preparing other things, then combine the rinsed rice with the millet - 1 part rice to 2 parts millet, and 1 1/2 c water per cup of mix. I simmer for 20 min, maybe a little longer, then let sit with the lid on, until serving. Cooks up sticky, like plain jasmine rice.

This time I made a batch of coconut rice/millet, and tied a little batch of frozen lemongrass greens (saved from the harvest), to add some flavor.

I had bought some baby bok choy nearly two weeks ago with plans of it being a side dish to chicken katsu. Finally got around to making katsu since so many of you kept posting it. [emoji2] We also had steamed broccoli and brown Basmati rice.
IMG_20181203_220121995.jpg

Last Night's Air-Fried Chicken Thighs, Garlic Mash, Gravy and Buttered Corn... and the fresh Greens, of course, under Balsamic Vinaigrette

Chicken Thighs, Air-Fried.jpg

Salad, Balsamic.jpg

My wife made cod in (sort of) persillade last night that was outstanding. The fish monger mentioned that it was fresh, not from frozen. Boy, was that noticeable.

Attachments

• 1203181737a.jpg
    1203181737a.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 81
Thanks, Cheryl. Yes, it was. I don't think I've ever had a better cod dish in my life.

You know, my wife was never really into cooking. It was always more of an afterthought.

I, on the other hand, have been very interested in all things culinary, and spend a good amount of time learning, and talking about food.

Because of this, I've often talked to my wife about what she was cooking, and she's frequently asked me for recipes, or tips on a technique, or something that she knows that I've cooked fairly well before.

And then she makes whatever we talked about 100x better than I ever could, seemingly without effort.

I am a lowly Solieri to her Mozart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom