Oh DEAR! It's Thanksgiving again - do you have a menu yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey corazon, try using Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild rice in that recipe. You won't go back to regular rice afterward.

Alix said:
Hey corazon, try using Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild rice in that recipe. You won't go back to regular rice afterward.

Alix - I make this "whoopteedo" chicken/broccoli/wild rice casserole - you are definitely right about the wild rice!!!!!!!

I do the following: turkey with sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Then I have my guests chime in. After they decide what they want to bring, I fill in the rest of the menu. Cranberry sauce usually comes out of a can ... I like it made from scratch, but found that my husband and most guests actually prefer the stuff from a can, so why make extra work? My favorite salad if no one volunteers to bring one is thin sliced cucumbers, mushrooms and shrimp with a vinager-y vinagrette. Mom used to make it as the salad, but I've learned that it makes a perfect first course and buys me a little time in the kitchen for gravy-making, which to me is the most important part of the meal.

Claire said:
I do the following: turkey with sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Then I have my guests chime in. After they decide what they want to bring, I fill in the rest of the menu. Cranberry sauce usually comes out of a can ... I like it made from scratch, but found that my husband and most guests actually prefer the stuff from a can, so why make extra work? My favorite salad if no one volunteers to bring one is thin sliced cucumbers, mushrooms and shrimp with a vinager-y vinagrette. Mom used to make it as the salad, but I've learned that it makes a perfect first course and buys me a little time in the kitchen for gravy-making, which to me is the most important part of the meal.
woo, that salad sounds good, mind posting the recipe ? Thanks, Barb

the family is kinda split up this year.

my bil is in iraq, his wife/my sis is staying home with her family in virginia. eldest bro and wife are going to maine to visit their son. eldest sis and hubby going to their beach house in delaware.

the rest of us are going to my parents': my mom will make the turkey and my other two sisters, their families and i will make all of the sides.

so far, i'm making turkey sausage, apple, and herb stuffing. also, some mixed roasted squash, sweet potatoes, sage and honey mash. i'm still open for ideas so i'll be checking around here for recipes.

something that becoming a tradition with dw and i is making apple pies the night before thanksgiving. i think we're making 3 or 4 this year. mom requires one of dw's pies for the table, and one just for her.

It's always just my husband & I, & we stick to a traditional menu. The only thing I sometimes change is when I want to try a new stuffing/dressing recipe. Other than that, we always have:

An organic, free-range turkey that we order from Whole Foods (their birds always turn out fabulously juicy (with none of that "solution" injected into them. In fact, even the white-meat leftovers remain juicy. Wonderful birds.)

Stuffing/dressing - some baked in the bird, some baked in a separate casserole

Creamed Garlic Spinach

The inevitable "Green Bean Casserole", which my husband loves

Plain baked white & sweet potatoes, split & buttered

Some type of Pillsbury dinner roll

Thank you, Elf, for starting this thread - was wondering when the Turkey day discussion was going to start! We've got all of hubbie's family coming this year, and because we're exhausted from son having major surgery and still recovering, plus major house rennovations, I'm trying the old 'KISS' method (keep it simple, stupid!) -

- Ordering a Cajun fried turkey from Willy Rae's
- Charleston Shrimp Creole (as we have non-meat eaters; the creole and rice I'll make the day before, and just add the shrimp as I'm warming it up.
- Kolcannon w/kale - also a make ahead, to be rewarmed (mashed 'tater casserole with kale, lots of cream and butter!)
- Roasted winter veg medley - just whatever looks good at the time.
- Baby greens salad with walnuts, cranberries and goat cheese
- Cornbread stuffing 'balls'
- Sauteed green beans with orange rind and almonds

For dessert, I'll do my Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake, as they loved it last year, and I think an apple pie, plus some sort of coffeecake for morning after noshes. I think sis-in-laws are bringing other desserts, too.

For the 'night before', I've made lobster stock with some delicious lobster we had for our anniversary dinner (this stock is dynamite - I'll post the recipe for it in the 'soup' forum), so it'll be a lobster bisque, plus some vegetable beef soup for those who don't want/like the bisque (are they ca-razy?!)

Most of the menu can be pre-done, and the turkey will just need reheated, so it shouldn't be too bad!

My Thankgiving usually consists of the following:

Turkey with Stuffing
Herb Stuffing (different than the one above)
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potatos with toasted marshmallows
Mashed Garlic potatos with two kinds of gravy
Cornbread
Some type of store-bought dinner rolls
Cranberries
Some other type of meat, usually a ham or polish sausages
Fresh Veggies (Usually celery, broccoli, carrots, olives, etc.)

Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Some kind of cookies or brownies, or both

This year is the very first Thanksgiving I'll be cooking, since fiancee and I are staying down at school this year and not going home. Luckily enough, we'll be having about 6 of her work friends as guests, and I think 4 of them are vegetarians. So I'm racking my brain lately wondering what vegetarians eat on Thanksgiving, and also wondering if I should serve this year's meals in courses, and make it slightly more elegant since we're having guests, or if I can still get away with just laying out the whole spread on my kitchen counters like usual. I don't think I could pull off serving dinner in courses because I don't think I have enough plates, lol.

I'm thinking my menu can generally stay the same, but while us carnivores will have our turkey, I'm wondering what I can replace that with for the vegetarians. I was thinking of maybe doing some sort of eggplant parmesan dish, or perhaps a pasta dish. It's hard for me to imagine what could replace turkey on my plate.

Oh- I think I'll also be giving the Slice of Sin recipe a try as well. It sounds pretty decadent, and once I get the hang of it I'm sure it will impress our guests.

No matter if we're here or up in Michigan we always have our traditional items and then throw in a few new ones..........I'm still deciding on what new recipes to try.

Roast Turkey
Oyster Dressing
Chicken Noodles / Mashed Potatoes
Giblet Gravy
Green Beans
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Sauce
Scalloped Corn
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Dinner Rolls

Adults: $69.00
Children (4-12): $32.00

First Taste

Big Island Greens & Spinach Salad
Cinnamon Glazed Sweet Potato Threads, Brie Cheese,
Dried Cranberries, Apple-Walnut Vinaigrette

Second Course
Roasted Pumpkin and Ginger Bisque
Shaved Almonds, Chestnut Chantilly

Entrée
~ Choice of ~
Slow Roasted Young Turkey
Sausage Stuffing, Buttermilk Whipped Potatoes, Truffled Spaghetti Squash
Fresh Cranberry Relish, Asparagus, and Natural Gravy

Pan Seared Onaga
Butternut Squash Risotto, Braised Napa Cabbage,
Yellow Tomato Coulis, Lemon-Thyme Beurre Blanc

Grilled Filet of Beef Tenderloin
Roasted Chateau Potatoes, Buttered Asparagus, Baby Vegetables,
Hamakua Mushrooms, Red Wine Demi

Dessert Trio
Pumpkin Crème Brule
Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake
Mini Pecan Pie

Change of plans... We're inviting ourselves over to Ironchefs for dinner.

: )

you and me both, pds!!!!

ic, as usual, my stomach gets angry at me when i read your menu. :huh:

i was just reading that you can expect to pay a minimum of $70 per person for a 3 course dinner, sans drinks, in nyc at a top scale restaurant this fall. thanksgiving will be a little higher.
so really, it's a bargain...:) .

Is there any way I can make it to all of your houses on Turkey Day???:) :pig:

We'll be eating here, with my parents, so we only have 4 to feed. Mom wants to do as much as she can to help so I'll ask her to do the turkey and whipped potatoes. The years I've tried anything "fancy" with the bird (brining, compound butters, etc) my dad doesn't like it, so I'll give in.:rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll change my mind several times but I think I'll make a gingered carrot soup, twice baked sweet potatoes stuffed with sugared pecans and dried cranberries, peas (again, must be plain for my dad!), some sort of rolls, and balsamic green beans. For dessert I always struggle--I end up making more desserts than there are people at the table! But this year I'm going to try and control myself and am thinking only 3: my traditional apple pie, pumpkin cranberry cheesecake with a gingersnap crust, and a triple layer mud pie for DH.

PA Baker said:
The years I've tried anything "fancy" with the bird (brining, compound butters, etc) my dad doesn't like it, so I'll give in.:rolleyes:

I guess this is the time to spend a bit more on a really fresh, organic bird!!

The years I've tried anything "fancy" with the bird (brining, compound butters, etc) my dad doesn't like it, so I'll give in.:rolleyes:

Well then, I guess the best you can do is roast the turkey breast down til near the end of the time. Darn those Dads! LOL!:LOL:

I still ahven't decided whether I'm cooking or not. I'm always happiest when I do, because then all the dishes are done the "right" way..... :rolleyes: but not sure I want to go through all of that..... Last time I didn't cook, I was the only person who had a piece of the Sweet Potato Pie I brought. Not because it wasn't good, but because the hostess didn't really put it out, PLUS she made THREE additional desserts! :ermm:

buckytom said:
you and me both, pds!!!!

ic, as usual, my stomach gets angry at me when i read your menu. :huh:

i was just reading that you can expect to pay a minimum of $70 per person for a 3 course dinner, sans drinks, in nyc at a top scale restaurant this fall. thanksgiving will be a little higher.
so really, it's a bargain...:) .

Oh, that's just great to hear, bucky. At the rate I'm going w/the internet research, we will be eating Chinese takeout on Turkey Day just like they did at Christmas in that movie The Christmas Story. Guess I'd better find us a place where we can eat wearing jeans.

probably bringing Grandma's (rest her soul) apple dumplings if Pap gives me her recipe. nary into those, although these are delicious.

Last edited:
kitchenelf keep the menu, change up some of the recipes. example...we roast halved brussle sprouts with pancetta, herbs and balsamic vinegar. they are wonderful, and a nice change from sauteed or steamed. carrots and turnips boiled and then rough hashed with knives and buttered are also wonderful and simple to make. giv a look and see what's out there this year. we've upped all our veggies over the years and found new favorites. still keep the turkey and stuffing sacred, and also the pumpkin pie!

This will be my second year alone for thanksgiving. I will be dining at the Formosa Buffet. last year I was the only caucasion in the place but met some great people. Looing like that is whats gonna be happenin for me. No sense in doing a thanksgiving feast for 1 I guess.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom