"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

I only cook for 5 adults, 1 child and 1 toddler. Usually have ham, turkey breast, sage-giblet bread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams, cranberries, corn, cole slaw and hot rolls. Dessert- pumpkin pie and pecan pie ! Yum - We never have courses, old fashion I guess !

Old 10-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
?? Things are still up in the air around here. We are either going to mom's ... or she'll come up here and bring Grandpa or it'll just be Paul David and I.

If I cook it'll be
cornish game hens ( or a venison roast)
with all the regular fixings, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon mushrooms and onions, gravy, stuffing, pumkin and pecan pie.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
crewsk - thanks for the mushroom turnover recipe!!!! That reminded me that I also did a wild mushroom bread pudding - I'll take a SERIOUS look at your turnovers!

OK crewsk - I just saw the dill pickle sandwiches

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

our usual but, it's DH and the kids favorites and they look forward to it. The girls now pitch in and help cook so it's afun thing.1-Antipasto, salami,copa,mortadella,,prosciutto,peppers,cheeses provolone and one other not sure yet,olives, green and black,tiny gerkens,stuffed onions,torta,plus radishes, stuffed celery, carrots, plus several dips and chips for the ones who prefer it.
2- homemade ravioli with red meat sauce
3-garbanzo beans,evoo, parsley,garlic
4-artichokes with evoo,butter,garlic, parsley
5-roasted turkey
6-dressing made with homemade bread,celery, onion, stock,bells seasoning,butter,parsley
7-creamed pearle onions,with sherry
8- mashed potatoes,turkey gravy
9-baked and mashed sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar
10-homemade rolls
11-cranberry sauce
12-pumpkin pie, pecan pie,chocolate pie,and whatever shows up from the guests..
13-some type or salads, one fruit, one green
I feel as if I've forgotten something, but it really doesn't matter.The important thing is that we are all together once again to enjoy good food and loved ones.
kadesma
Old 10-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
Head Chef

My girlfriend Bobbie and I are going to a great restraunt called the Sportman's Lodge. We have a 12N reservation and it is all buffet. When I made the reservation I asked the receptionist what they were serving. It was the longest list I have ever seen.

Bobbie and I have been there before and they have little lakes with water in them and all sorts of beautiful trees and tropical plants. There are fish running in the water and it is a beautiful sight. They also have a waterfall and a bridge to cross over the water.

Thanks my Thanksgiving.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpj4
There are fish running in the water
You tell those fish there's NO running in the restaurant - especially when it's crowded on Thanksgiving!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
crewsk - thanks for the mushroom turnover recipe!!!! That reminded me that I also did a wild mushroom bread pudding - I'll take a SERIOUS look at your turnovers!

OK crewsk - I just saw the dill pickle sandwiches
You are very welcome! My SIL makes the pickle sandwiches & I stole the recipe from her. They are just slices of whole wheat bread with the crusts removed & flattened till pretty thin, slathered with a mixture of cream cheese & dill, then a whole dill pickle rolled up in that & sliced into bite sized circles.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
You are very welcome! My SIL makes the pickle sandwiches & I stole the recipe from her. They are just slices of whole wheat bread with the crusts removed & flattened till pretty thin, slathered with a mixture of cream cheese & dill, then a whole dill pickle rolled up in that & sliced into bite sized circles.
Crewsk,
I've made one using flattened white bread, a mix of mayo and cream cheese and put a whole pickled okra in, roll it up, the spread the outside with soem of the cream cheese and rll in chopped fresh parsley or toasted sesame seeds or finely chopped nuts..The pickle and wheat sounds good, will give it a try. Thanks
kadesma
Old 10-23-2006, 08:31 PM   #19
Master Chef

I love Thanksgiving...especially since I've learned not to work myself to death and spend time enjoying my family.
It takes me two weeks to get ready. I spend the first week getting my menu planned, organizing my grocery list (don't forget things like foil and paper towels. Foil pans are also great to have on hand), and doing all the shopping I can.
The second week is spent cooking everything I can in advance, doing last minute shopping, and getting all the other mise en place together.

Here's the tentative menu. Some things always remain the same, like the turkey & dressing and the pies, but I try to vary others from year to year.

Cheese Ball and crackers (courtesy daughter Cassie)
Venison Salami (from Kim's kill last fall)
Brined turkey, grilled or roasted (Kim's contribution)
Oyster Dressing (I always use my husband's ex-MIL's recipe, plus)
Giblet Gravy (me)
Mashed Potato Casserole (me)
Broccoli Casserole (courtesy daughter Kerrie)
Green Bean Casserole (a different one, courtesy daughter Kerrie)
Dang Good Corn (me)
Purchased Rolls
Crumb-top Apple Pie (my specialty)
Cherry Pie (me)
Pumpkin Pie (Kerrie)

As you can see, I can do most everything ahead of time, except the gravy, which must be done at the last minute.
As for the pies, I'm ashamed to say I have lowered myself to the point that I buy refrigerated pie-crust. I make the pie fillings ahead of time, then just put it all together and bake it the morning of.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

We were gonna go to Texas to dh's grandmother's for T-day but it would mean 12+ traveling with the kids and lots of money we don't have. So much to my relief, it looks like we'll be staying home.

-I make a turkey that's been brined and rubbed under the skin with a sage compound butter.
-Gravy
-Buckets of cranberry sauce, it's my favorite!
-Mashed potatoes
- To-Die-For Broccoli Rice Casserole
- TNT Chocolate Kahlua Mousse Pie by popular demand!
- Fennel, Mushroom, Celery Root and Parm Salad Recipe
I'm not the biggest fan of green beans and neither of us like sweet potatoes. I generally stick to just a few things that we absolutely love and not waste stomach space on other things.