"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-23-2006, 09:02 PM   #21
Everymom

Hey corazon, try using Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild rice in that recipe. You won't go back to regular rice afterward.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Hey corazon, try using Uncle Bens Long Grain and Wild rice in that recipe. You won't go back to regular rice afterward.
Alix - I make this "whoopteedo" chicken/broccoli/wild rice casserole - you are definitely right about the wild rice!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:03 AM   #23
Master Chef

I do the following: turkey with sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Then I have my guests chime in. After they decide what they want to bring, I fill in the rest of the menu. Cranberry sauce usually comes out of a can ... I like it made from scratch, but found that my husband and most guests actually prefer the stuff from a can, so why make extra work? My favorite salad if no one volunteers to bring one is thin sliced cucumbers, mushrooms and shrimp with a vinager-y vinagrette. Mom used to make it as the salad, but I've learned that it makes a perfect first course and buys me a little time in the kitchen for gravy-making, which to me is the most important part of the meal.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
I do the following: turkey with sage dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy. Then I have my guests chime in. After they decide what they want to bring, I fill in the rest of the menu. Cranberry sauce usually comes out of a can ... I like it made from scratch, but found that my husband and most guests actually prefer the stuff from a can, so why make extra work? My favorite salad if no one volunteers to bring one is thin sliced cucumbers, mushrooms and shrimp with a vinager-y vinagrette. Mom used to make it as the salad, but I've learned that it makes a perfect first course and buys me a little time in the kitchen for gravy-making, which to me is the most important part of the meal.
woo, that salad sounds good, mind posting the recipe ? Thanks, Barb
Old 10-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

the family is kinda split up this year.

my bil is in iraq, his wife/my sis is staying home with her family in virginia. eldest bro and wife are going to maine to visit their son. eldest sis and hubby going to their beach house in delaware.

the rest of us are going to my parents': my mom will make the turkey and my other two sisters, their families and i will make all of the sides.

so far, i'm making turkey sausage, apple, and herb stuffing. also, some mixed roasted squash, sweet potatoes, sage and honey mash. i'm still open for ideas so i'll be checking around here for recipes.

something that becoming a tradition with dw and i is making apple pies the night before thanksgiving. i think we're making 3 or 4 this year. mom requires one of dw's pies for the table, and one just for her.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
Master Chef

It's always just my husband & I, & we stick to a traditional menu. The only thing I sometimes change is when I want to try a new stuffing/dressing recipe. Other than that, we always have:

An organic, free-range turkey that we order from Whole Foods (their birds always turn out fabulously juicy (with none of that "solution" injected into them. In fact, even the white-meat leftovers remain juicy. Wonderful birds.)

Stuffing/dressing - some baked in the bird, some baked in a separate casserole

Creamed Garlic Spinach

The inevitable "Green Bean Casserole", which my husband loves

Plain baked white & sweet potatoes, split & buttered

Some type of Pillsbury dinner roll
Old 10-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Thank you, Elf, for starting this thread - was wondering when the Turkey day discussion was going to start! We've got all of hubbie's family coming this year, and because we're exhausted from son having major surgery and still recovering, plus major house rennovations, I'm trying the old 'KISS' method (keep it simple, stupid!) -

- Ordering a Cajun fried turkey from Willy Rae's
- Charleston Shrimp Creole (as we have non-meat eaters; the creole and rice I'll make the day before, and just add the shrimp as I'm warming it up.
- Kolcannon w/kale - also a make ahead, to be rewarmed (mashed 'tater casserole with kale, lots of cream and butter!)
- Roasted winter veg medley - just whatever looks good at the time.
- Baby greens salad with walnuts, cranberries and goat cheese
- Cornbread stuffing 'balls'
- Sauteed green beans with orange rind and almonds

For dessert, I'll do my Marbled Pumpkin Cheesecake, as they loved it last year, and I think an apple pie, plus some sort of coffeecake for morning after noshes. I think sis-in-laws are bringing other desserts, too.

For the 'night before', I've made lobster stock with some delicious lobster we had for our anniversary dinner (this stock is dynamite - I'll post the recipe for it in the 'soup' forum), so it'll be a lobster bisque, plus some vegetable beef soup for those who don't want/like the bisque (are they ca-razy?!)

Most of the menu can be pre-done, and the turkey will just need reheated, so it shouldn't be too bad!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:27 PM   #28
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
My Thankgiving usually consists of the following:

Turkey with Stuffing
Herb Stuffing (different than the one above)
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potatos with toasted marshmallows
Mashed Garlic potatos with two kinds of gravy
Cornbread
Some type of store-bought dinner rolls
Cranberries
Some other type of meat, usually a ham or polish sausages
Fresh Veggies (Usually celery, broccoli, carrots, olives, etc.)

Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Cherry Pie
Some kind of cookies or brownies, or both

This year is the very first Thanksgiving I'll be cooking, since fiancee and I are staying down at school this year and not going home. Luckily enough, we'll be having about 6 of her work friends as guests, and I think 4 of them are vegetarians. So I'm racking my brain lately wondering what vegetarians eat on Thanksgiving, and also wondering if I should serve this year's meals in courses, and make it slightly more elegant since we're having guests, or if I can still get away with just laying out the whole spread on my kitchen counters like usual. I don't think I could pull off serving dinner in courses because I don't think I have enough plates, lol.

I'm thinking my menu can generally stay the same, but while us carnivores will have our turkey, I'm wondering what I can replace that with for the vegetarians. I was thinking of maybe doing some sort of eggplant parmesan dish, or perhaps a pasta dish. It's hard for me to imagine what could replace turkey on my plate.

Oh- I think I'll also be giving the Slice of Sin recipe a try as well. It sounds pretty decadent, and once I get the hang of it I'm sure it will impress our guests.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:40 PM   #29
Master Chef

No matter if we're here or up in Michigan we always have our traditional items and then throw in a few new ones..........I'm still deciding on what new recipes to try.

Roast Turkey
Oyster Dressing
Chicken Noodles / Mashed Potatoes
Giblet Gravy
Green Beans
Deviled Eggs
Cranberry Sauce
Scalloped Corn
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Dinner Rolls
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #30