"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-24-2006, 11:10 PM   #41
Executive Chef

You can come to my house Tattrat! as long as you don't mind the rain. :)

Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 PM   #42
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Thanks hun. I don't mind the rain, and I LOVE Washington, but that would make one heck of a day trip!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:24 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
Thanks hun. I don't mind the rain, and I LOVE Washington, but that would make one heck of a day trip!
Virginia? Is that what the VA stands for? It can't be tooooooooooo far from me - sort of! I'm near Charlotte, NC but about 1 hour north. Hey, Maidrite and Barbara L were talking about coming one Thanksgiving - maybe this will be the one!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #44
DC's Angel

Quote:
This will be my second year alone for thanksgiving. I will be dining at the Formosa Buffet. last year I was the only caucasion in the place but met some great people. Looing like that is whats gonna be happenin for me. No sense in doing a thanksgiving feast for 1 I guess.
b

Hey, Tatt. Come to western Kentucky. We will be more than happy to have your join Katie E and me for T'day. Katie always makes the most wonderful meal and there's certainly going to be enough for more than 3. Come, really, and enjoy fun, food and fellowship. We've got plenty of room.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:29 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
You're right about that! Oh well, welcome any time.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:34 PM   #46
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Thank you ALL so much for the warm hospitality! I wish I could get away but the "post thanksgiving" business is really what is dominating this whole holliday season. I can't believe I have a banquet for 480ppl the day after t-giving day. I thought every one would be "food-ed" out!

Seriously though, the best of karma to all, thanks soo much!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:46 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
b

Hey, Tatt. Come to western Kentucky. We will be more than happy to have your join Katie E and me for T'day. Katie always makes the most wonderful meal and there's certainly going to be enough for more than 3. Come, really, and enjoy fun, food and fellowship. We've got plenty of room.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeey - you stealin' my T'day guests?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 AM   #48
Master Chef

I make the salad dressing differently depending on the meal I'm serving it with. For Thanksgiving it'll be probably half and half white wine vinegar and vegetable oil (say a third a cup of each), two tablespoons of sugar, LOTS of S&P, and maybe some dill (say a half teaspoon). Mom used to make it with plain old distilled vinegar, and if you do that make it 1/3 vinegar rather than half. Two small or one large cucumbers, sliced thin. If I can get European cukes, they're my favorite. If not and they're too fat then I seed them using a grapefruit spoon. A can of sliced mushrooms (yes, you can sautee fresh ones, and I do on occaision, but holiday meals are too hectic and I take the shortcut). When I was a kid, mom opened a can of baby shrimp and tossed them (we were living in land-locked states in the 60s, trust me, fresh or IQF weren't available; the latter wasn't even invented). I now buy IQF ready to go and depending on the size allow 4-6 per person. I toss in the shrimp at the last minute so the entire dish doesn't taste fishy.

When my meal isn't Thanksgiving, but something more Asian, I use rice wine vinegar, and no dill (chives, parsely or cilantro). Mom now uses some kind of fake sugar, and now that hubby is diabetic, I'm experimenting. We eat so little sugar anyway that it isn't an issue in this case.

I put it in small bowls and have hubby serve it while I'm finishing up last details in the kitchen. Do not overdo the shrimp, you want your guests to still be hungry for the main event. People have forgotten what appetizers means. They are supposed to make you hungry for more.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #49
Executive Chef

We don't have appetizers at Thanksgiving. It seems our problem is the reverse. With so much food, it isn't easy to get around to everything so I usually have to choose which ones I will eat and let the others do as they like. I usually eat only one dessert, but we have about 4 different types. I enjoy the leftovers at least as much as the Thanksgiving Day meal.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Although I am a traditionalist when it comes to Thanksgiving meals, I must do something different this year. I have a unique problem, for me, I have a glut of meat in the freezer and can not even consider buying a turkey. So for Thanksgiving and Christmas, it will be smoked ham roast for one meal and boeuf bourguignon for the other. It looks like a beloved cousin of mine will be spending Christmas with us and considering she is a recovering alcoholic, I should make the boeuf bourguignon for Thanksgiving. So the tentative menu is:

boeuf bourguignon (via Licia's recipe!)
yukon gold potatoes, (another glut) probably fixed two ways, mashed and baked
sweet potatoes, (DH abhors anything sweet on them)
green beans with bacon, garlic and onions

for dessert?? we are really short on butternuts this year, so no pumpkin pie, but I am eyeing the slice of sin recipe!