Oh DEAR! It's Thanksgiving again - do you have a menu yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marmalady, I'll be doing my shopping on Tuesday, so I will certainly look for the wings, great suggestion. Thank you- I LOVE gravy, so I want to make sure there's plenty!

I am so pleased! Don't ask me why it took this long, but I was rolling my eyes and desparing over having to iron a table cloth. He just said, "Call the cleaners". Yay!!! Now the worst part of the day will be the house cleaning on Wednesday. Don't ask me why I didn't send them out to begin with. Just habit, I guess. I'm used to doing my own laundry.

I'm afraid I don't use recipes for Thanksgiving. I just go by eye. For example, some years, some places I've lived, the stuffing "feels like" it needs an egg. Other places, other years, no. In recent years I've made stock from chicken and frozen it months in advance so I have it for stuffing and gravy. But other years (remember, military here) I've just made some up from dried mix or used water. My mom (and, therefore, me) learned to cook from a series of military wives -- French, German, Japanese war brides; Americans who came from border to border and coast to coast. Neither her nor my dad's mothers were good cooks, they just were happy to get something edible on the table a few times a day.

Here's my final menu, for me and fiancee, plus 7 of her friends.

Salad with Orange Vinagrette
Tomato-Basil soup
Farfalle with Green and White Asparagus and Red Pepper Cream Sauce
The Bird
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Corn
Biscuits and Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

I really hope the farfalle turns out well; that item is mainly because I felt I need an item that could act as a "main course" for the vegetarians that will be joining us, and hopefully everyone else will like some as well.

Since dinner is Wednesday, I think I'm going to do a little prep today, and most of it tomorrow. I think I'll actually finish the soup today, as well as par-cook the farfalle to be quickly finished in the pan the day of. The orange vinagrette will get done either today or tomorrow as well. I want to do my apple pie today, because I'm trying a new recipe and want to make sure it turns out correctly.

Most everything else should be easy to finish the day of.

Good luck to everyone in preperation for your Thankgiving meals, and have a happy holiday! Remember to enjoy yourself!

Nothing fancy. I'm cooking for myself only this year. John is not able to join me. It's a long story but he lives 7 hours away (no, we didn't meet online :LOL:!) His mother had a stroke and he's just moved her from the hospital to a nursing home. He has to visit her daily.

My brother Scott is busy having a new house built and trying to sell his existing house. My parents live in South Carolina, 13 hours away, and can't be bothered with the whole holiday scene anymore (they're in their 80's).

Anyway, I'm roasting a cornish game hen. I'll be making some cornbread stuffing. I'm also roasting a split buttercup squash and plan to spoon half of the stuffing on top about 3/4 of the way through. Steamed broccoli (or maybe brussels sprouts; I have both in the freezer) will round out the meal. If I feel like it I might also make some sort of soup as a starter.

This will make enough for two meals for me. I'm nothing if not frugal; have to be considering I haven't worked in over 2 years and receive no sort of public assistance.

Fraidy

Well, I get to cook Thanksgiving this year (normally I work that day, can't work it this year).

I'm planning on roasting a turkey, mashed potatoes, sage bread stuffing for PeppA, cornbread dressing for me, corn, green beans mixed with cream of mushroom soup (for PeppA, she doesn't like the onions from the casserole), cranberry sauce (from scratch this year, first time I've convinced her to let me make it), and pumpkin pie.

I just made two pumpkin pies. First time I've ever made one. I just followed the recipe on a large can of Libby's pumpkin. I did use two frozen pie crusts. I still consider this an improvement over last year, as PeppA always buys a store-bought pumpkin and dutch apple (I'm not crazy on dutch apple, and that's all she allows in the house).

college_cook said:
Here's my final menu, for me and fiancee, plus 7 of her friends.

Salad with Orange Vinagrette
Tomato-Basil soup
Farfalle with Green and White Asparagus and Red Pepper Cream Sauce
The Bird
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Corn
Biscuits and Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

I really hope the farfalle turns out well; that item is mainly because I felt I need an item that could act as a "main course" for the vegetarians that will be joining us, and hopefully everyone else will like some as well.

Since dinner is Wednesday, I think I'm going to do a little prep today, and most of it tomorrow. I think I'll actually finish the soup today, as well as par-cook the farfalle to be quickly finished in the pan the day of. The orange vinagrette will get done either today or tomorrow as well. I want to do my apple pie today, because I'm trying a new recipe and want to make sure it turns out correctly.

Most everything else should be easy to finish the day of.

Good luck to everyone in preperation for your Thankgiving meals, and have a happy holiday! Remember to enjoy yourself!

are you really a college kid, making all this? Bravo!! But shouldn't you be studying for midterms or something?

My Mom, daughter and I will be cooking for around 20. Sometimes my sister and her DIL and grandaughter make it in time to help too. We have it at my Mom and Dad's every year. We also have the same menu with very little variation. Mom's famous stuffing - which daughter and I now make (Mom supervises), turkey, giblet gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, biscuits, cranberry sauce, marinated veggies (sometimes we switch this for marinated slaw), and sweet potato pies with whipped cream for those who like it that way. Sometimes we make a couple of SP Pies with pecans and sometimes we add a pumpkin one as well. Since Mom is diabetic we make one SP with Splenda and SF pancake syrup instead of brown sugar. Most of the family likes SP better. We also sometimes make deviled eggs for appetizers. My brother and his family are the clean up crew since they're always the last to arrive.

My youngest daughter and my ex were going to come for dinner. She doesn't think it's going to happen - he wants her to cook.

Usually, when we were in the house we had a crowd - all of our single male friends - sometimes another couple from the Marina or two. This year we are hoping a friend will make it from New York state. Another friend now has a SO and she's doing Thanksgiving at his house for her family. Another has ticked me off severely and I'm not excited about him coming. Etc. Etc. Etc.:rolleyes: This is looking like 2 for dinner.

Last year was: Cider Brined Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Bourbon Cider Gravy
Mashed Turnips
Roasted Veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, squash)
Brusssle Sprouts w/chestnuts
Pumpkin Gingerbread trifle
Apple pie

It wasn't the usual feast since I was only 2 weeks post surgery. This year I think we'll do the same turkey, a new dressing recipe from Bon Appetite, mashed potatoes, the bourbon cider gravy, cranberry sauce. some creamed onions, and brussles sprouts. I have an apple pie in the freezer that I'm going to top with caramel and pecans and serve with Schwans French Vanilla special holiday ice cream. :chef:We'll just keep it simple, have to - there's not much room.

deep fried turkey
mashed potatoes/cornbread dressing
small ham not everyone likes turkey
deviled eggs/olives/pickels/homemade bread
corn/green beans
carmel apple salad
apple crisp/vanilla ice cream/strawberry pie

Harborwitch said:
My youngest daughter and my ex were going to come for dinner. She doesn't think it's going to happen - he wants her to cook.

Usually, when we were in the house we had a crowd - all of our single male friends - sometimes another couple from the Marina or two. This year we are hoping a friend will make it from New York state. Another friend now has a SO and she's doing Thanksgiving at his house for her family. Another has ticked me off severely and I'm not excited about him coming. Etc. Etc. Etc.:rolleyes: This is looking like 2 for dinner.

Last year was: Cider Brined Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Bourbon Cider Gravy
Mashed Turnips
Roasted Veggies (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, squash)
Brusssle Sprouts w/chestnuts
Pumpkin Gingerbread trifle
Apple pie

It wasn't the usual feast since I was only 2 weeks post surgery. This year I think we'll do the same turkey, a new dressing recipe from Bon Appetite, mashed potatoes, the bourbon cider gravy, cranberry sauce. some creamed onions, and brussles sprouts. I have an apple pie in the freezer that I'm going to top with caramel and pecans and serve with Schwans French Vanilla special holiday ice cream. :chef:We'll just keep it simple, have to - there's not much room.

I do a cider brine for my turkey too....but I'm not familir with this cider bourbon gravy....care to discuss it more?? Please...? I must insist:)

I took this from CJS wonderful rib recipe - I'll post from home - It does involve lots of bourbon and have to say that my daughter and I dirtied every spoon in the house tasting the gravy - before dinner!!

I'll post this afternoon or in the am.

Finalized menu for 14:

Turkey with a pomegranate-black pepper glaze
Cranberry compote
Jiggly canned cranberry
Horseradish-wasabi mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes with scallions and creme fraiche
Fresh sage-smoked chipotle chile gravy
Twice baked potatoes
Pecan green beans
Green bean casserole
Devilled eggs
Marionberry pie
Pumpkin-banana mousse tarts
Mashed butternut squash
Grilled acorn squash with orange glaze
Orange raspberry trifle
Dinner rolls (from scratch)
Sweet potato biscuits
Creamed kale with caramelized pearl onions
3 kinds of stuffing (in the bird, out of the bird, and out of the bird cornbread)
cranberry martinis

Last edited:
It's day of for me, 11 AM, and dinner is about 6. Time to start peeling potatoes and apples!

I managed to get a ton of prep done yesterday though, serving dishes are lined up and ready to go, and all of my ingredients are stuffed tightly into whichever pot they will be cooked in today. All I have to do is add the heat and make the magic happen!

Good luck to anyone else celebrating today, or for those of you who are having Thanksgiving on the normal day, good luck with your prep today.

For VeraBlue - As I recall (lots of fun post op. meds!!) this is what we did:

BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/4 c bourbon whiskey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 T. apple cider
2 T. Dijon mustard
RUB:
1 T. coarse kosher salt
1 T. packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps dry mustard
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
---------
IN THE BOTTOM OF THE ROASTING PAN - UNDER THE RACK:
1 lg onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
2 c apple cider

FOR BASTING SAUCE:
Whisk all ingred. in medium bowl to blend.

FOR RUB:
Mix first 7 ingred. in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.

Remove turkey from Cider Brine and dry thoroughly. Rub well with rub (may need to double recipe for rub depending on size of turkey).
Prepare oven as usual;

Scatter onion, cinnamon stick, & ginger in pan.
Pour in Cider.

Place turkey on roasting rack. Cook turkey as usual - basting as needed with basting sauce.

When the turkey is done remove to a platter and tent loosely with foil to rest. Strain the remaining pan juices and deglaze the pan with 1/2 c bourbon. Continue making pan gravy as usual with pan juices and and additional cider. Season with salt & pepper.

For a richer apple flavor stir 2 - 3 TBS apple butter into gravy. You can also add more bourbon to taste. We used Maker's Mark for this.

Enjoy:chef::chef::chef:

Harborwitch said:
For VeraBlue - As I recall (lots of fun post op. meds!!) this is what we did:

BASTING SAUCE:
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/4 c bourbon whiskey
1/4 c apple cider vinegar
3 T. apple cider
2 T. Dijon mustard
RUB:
1 T. coarse kosher salt
1 T. packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsps dry mustard
1 1/2 tsps dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
---------
IN THE BOTTOM OF THE ROASTING PAN - UNDER THE RACK:
1 lg onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds peeled fresh ginger
2 c apple cider

FOR BASTING SAUCE:
Whisk all ingred. in medium bowl to blend.

FOR RUB:
Mix first 7 ingred. in small bowl.
Using small sharp knife, loosen membrane from underside of each rib rack & pull off (or score membrane).
Rub 1 T. seasoning mix into each side of each rib rack.

Remove turkey from Cider Brine and dry thoroughly. Rub well with rub (may need to double recipe for rub depending on size of turkey).
Prepare oven as usual;

Scatter onion, cinnamon stick, & ginger in pan.
Pour in Cider.

Place turkey on roasting rack. Cook turkey as usual - basting as needed with basting sauce.

When the turkey is done remove to a platter and tent loosely with foil to rest. Strain the remaining pan juices and deglaze the pan with 1/2 c bourbon. Continue making pan gravy as usual with pan juices and and additional cider. Season with salt & pepper.

For a richer apple flavor stir 2 - 3 TBS apple butter into gravy. You can also add more bourbon to taste. We used Maker's Mark for this.

Enjoy:chef::chef::chef:

I'm all over this! Thanks! Lou and I do love:wub:our bourbon lately! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Back
Top Bottom