Oh DEAR! It's Thanksgiving again - do you have a menu yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
ok - it's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. This year I want to make some "tried and true classics" but I'd like to make something new too. I usually have:

brined turkey
dressing (regular and oyster)
mashed potatoes
rosemary peas (kansasgirl's recipe)
Grandma's broccoli casserole
sweet potato casserole
Frog Eye Salad (google it)
some sort of cranberry sauce/dressing
squash casserole
fresh corn of some kind - either plain or creamed
fresh green beans - plain (well with bacon and onions)
Brussels sprouts
sometimes a spinach salad
edited - forgot the wild mushroom bread pudding!!!!

pecan pie
pumpkin pie
pumpkin cheesecake
Slice of Sin

I don't have my regular list in front of me but that covers most of it anyway. It's hard to vary from traditional - it wouldn't be "Thanksgiving", would it??? :chef:

Last edited:
I don't know if I'll get to do Thanksgiving. S.O. HATES it as much as I love it.

I keep trying to invite folks over for Thanksgiving Dinner so I'll get to cook one, but no luck so far.

No plans yet. I'm still waiting to see of my brothers and their families are coming down from MI. If not then we'll be heading up there.

It all depends on if one, the other or both daughters (one with her family) will be coming. If it is just hubby and I; doubt that I will do much.

I've had gatherings as large as 20 people and as small as 4. It's looking like it might be a small gathering this year...just 4 or 5.
There are some things that must be prepared and served regardless of the guest count.

The first course is always antipasto with ham, salami, sharp provolone, olives, mushrooms, aritchokes, anchovies, roasted peppers, eggplant...

I tinker with the second course. Some years it's a soup, others it's pasta. I haven't decided whether to do a shrimp bisque or chestnut ravioli yet.

Dinner has many 'must haves' as well.
Turkey
sausage stuffing
mashed potatoes
candied mashed sweet potatoes
peas
sauteed mushrooms
home made applesauce and cranberry sauce
lemon creme mold
roasted pearl onions
gravy
breads and rolls
I prefer cabernet, but can offer a white by request.

The next course is dried and fresh fruits, nuts and cheeses. I usually do three to five cheese varieties, depending on the number of guests.

Coffee, cognac, port, madiera and dessert - always an apple pie, something pumpkin, something chocolate and something nut.

I'm thinking of heading into the city the night before to watch the balloons too!

Thanks for posting what you have had in the past. I forgot one year I did a pearl onion and ???? port wine dish - it was WONDERFUL! I wonder where I got that recipe or if I still have it? lol

I want to hear what everyone is or could be fixing if they were cooking!!! I need some new ideas!

Andy M. said:
I don't know if I'll get to do Thanksgiving. S.O. HATES it as much as I love it.

I keep trying to invite folks over for Thanksgiving Dinner so I'll get to cook one, but no luck so far.

Just don't call it Thanksgiving - call it dinner!!!!! :LOL:

I llike to do a traditional Thanksgiving.

Roast Turkey
Sage stuffing
Giblet gravy
Cranberry sauce
Rice Pilaf (that was my tradition growing up)
Butternut Squash
Creamed Spinach
Pearl onions in cream sauce
Pecan Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Vanilla ice cream

Pap cooks turkey, coleslaw, stuffed celery with cream chs. & olives, cranberry sauce, taters, veggies, & often gets chocolates.
great to be with my family.
suppose my dish oughta be presented, since i'm thier little chef.
great thread, elfie, appreciate it!:)

Well, due to a family situation, I don't know if I'll be doing Thanksgiving this year. This was my 2004 Thanksgiving menu though:

mushroom turnovers http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/mushroom-turnovers-3338.html?highlight=mushroom+turnovers
dill pickle sandwiches

smoked turkey (we smoked 2)
ham
green bean cass.
pineapple cass.
mac & cheese
corn
sweet potatoes
dressing
giblet gravy
mashed potatoes
deviled eggs
cranberry sauce
yeast rolls

pumpkin crunch cake
brownies
chocolate eclaire dessert

This was more than enough food for 20 people.

Last year I scaled it down a lot since it was just the 4 of us & my parents.
We had turkey, dressing, mac & cheese, sweet potatoes, giblet gravy, green bean cass., pineapple cass., cranberry sauce, mini pecan pies, & pumpkin crunch cake.

Last edited:
I only cook for 5 adults, 1 child and 1 toddler. Usually have ham, turkey breast, sage-giblet bread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, candied yams, cranberries, corn, cole slaw and hot rolls. Dessert- pumpkin pie and pecan pie ! Yum - We never have courses, old fashion I guess !

?? Things are still up in the air around here. We are either going to mom's ... or she'll come up here and bring Grandpa or it'll just be Paul David and I.

If I cook it'll be
cornish game hens ( or a venison roast)
with all the regular fixings, mashed potatoes, baked sweet potatoes, green beans with bacon mushrooms and onions, gravy, stuffing, pumkin and pecan pie.

crewsk - thanks for the mushroom turnover recipe!!!! That reminded me that I also did a wild mushroom bread pudding - I'll take a SERIOUS look at your turnovers!

OK crewsk - I just saw the dill pickle sandwiches :ohmy:

Last edited:
our usual but, it's DH and the kids favorites and they look forward to it. The girls now pitch in and help cook so it's afun thing.1-Antipasto, salami,copa,mortadella,,prosciutto,peppers,cheeses provolone and one other not sure yet,olives, green and black,tiny gerkens,stuffed onions,torta,plus radishes, stuffed celery, carrots, plus several dips and chips for the ones who prefer it.
2- homemade ravioli with red meat sauce
3-garbanzo beans,evoo, parsley,garlic
4-artichokes with evoo,butter,garlic, parsley
5-roasted turkey
6-dressing made with homemade bread,celery, onion, stock,bells seasoning,butter,parsley
7-creamed pearle onions,with sherry
8- mashed potatoes,turkey gravy
9-baked and mashed sweet potatoes with butter and brown sugar
10-homemade rolls
11-cranberry sauce
12-pumpkin pie, pecan pie,chocolate pie,and whatever shows up from the guests..
13-some type or salads, one fruit, one green
I feel as if I've forgotten something, but it really doesn't matter.The important thing is that we are all together once again to enjoy good food and loved ones.
kadesma:)

My girlfriend Bobbie and I are going to a great restraunt called the Sportman's Lodge. We have a 12N reservation and it is all buffet. When I made the reservation I asked the receptionist what they were serving. It was the longest list I have ever seen.

Bobbie and I have been there before and they have little lakes with water in them and all sorts of beautiful trees and tropical plants. There are fish running in the water and it is a beautiful sight. They also have a waterfall and a bridge to cross over the water.

Thanks my Thanksgiving.

kitchenelf said:
crewsk - thanks for the mushroom turnover recipe!!!! That reminded me that I also did a wild mushroom bread pudding - I'll take a SERIOUS look at your turnovers!

OK crewsk - I just saw the dill pickle sandwiches :ohmy:

You are very welcome! My SIL makes the pickle sandwiches & I stole the recipe from her. They are just slices of whole wheat bread with the crusts removed & flattened till pretty thin, slathered with a mixture of cream cheese & dill, then a whole dill pickle rolled up in that & sliced into bite sized circles.

crewsk said:
You are very welcome! My SIL makes the pickle sandwiches & I stole the recipe from her. They are just slices of whole wheat bread with the crusts removed & flattened till pretty thin, slathered with a mixture of cream cheese & dill, then a whole dill pickle rolled up in that & sliced into bite sized circles.
Crewsk,
I've made one using flattened white bread, a mix of mayo and cream cheese and put a whole pickled okra in, roll it up, the spread the outside with soem of the cream cheese and rll in chopped fresh parsley or toasted sesame seeds or finely chopped nuts..The pickle and wheat sounds good, will give it a try. Thanks :)
kadesma

I love Thanksgiving...especially since I've learned not to work myself to death and spend time enjoying my family.
It takes me two weeks to get ready. I spend the first week getting my menu planned, organizing my grocery list (don't forget things like foil and paper towels. Foil pans are also great to have on hand), and doing all the shopping I can.
The second week is spent cooking everything I can in advance, doing last minute shopping, and getting all the other mise en place together.

Here's the tentative menu. Some things always remain the same, like the turkey & dressing and the pies, but I try to vary others from year to year.

Cheese Ball and crackers (courtesy daughter Cassie)
Venison Salami (from Kim's kill last fall)
Brined turkey, grilled or roasted (Kim's contribution)
Oyster Dressing (I always use my husband's ex-MIL's recipe, plus)
Giblet Gravy (me)
Mashed Potato Casserole (me)
Broccoli Casserole (courtesy daughter Kerrie)
Green Bean Casserole (a different one, courtesy daughter Kerrie)
Dang Good Corn (me)
Purchased Rolls
Crumb-top Apple Pie (my specialty)
Cherry Pie (me)
Pumpkin Pie (Kerrie)

As you can see, I can do most everything ahead of time, except the gravy, which must be done at the last minute.
As for the pies, I'm ashamed to say I have lowered myself to the point that I buy refrigerated pie-crust. I make the pie fillings ahead of time, then just put it all together and bake it the morning of.

Last edited:
We were gonna go to Texas to dh's grandmother's for T-day but it would mean 12+ traveling with the kids and lots of money we don't have. So much to my relief, it looks like we'll be staying home.

-I make a turkey that's been brined and rubbed under the skin with a sage compound butter.
-Gravy
-Buckets of cranberry sauce, it's my favorite!
-Mashed potatoes
- http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/to-die-for-broccoli-rice-casserole-16669.html?highlight=casserole
- http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/tnt-chocolate-kahlua-mousse-pie-by-popular-demand-17859.html?highlight=mousse
- http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/fennel-mushroom-celery-root-and-parm-salad-recipe-13375.html?highlight=root+salad
I'm not the biggest fan of green beans and neither of us like sweet potatoes. I generally stick to just a few things that we absolutely love and not waste stomach space on other things.

Back
Top Bottom