Oh, those Southern cooks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catseye

Senior Cook
I'm watching Al Roker's 'On the Road' show. There's this good ol' boy making bobbyque. He's gathered a little crowd around his grill. He says, "Yew take a piece-a this meat an' put it on top-a yore haid, yore tongue's gonna beat yore brains out tryin' ta git to it, that's how good this is."

:D :D :D

just makes my mouth water when I think about it.. I love a good bbq. In texas they use mostly beef (I think) and down south on the east coast, don't they use mainly pork?

I've read a few good BBQ cookbooks. Usually, local BBQ joints and home smokers usually use whatever meat is locally available, and whatever wood is also locally available.

Southern hospitality is great: 'come on in, ya'll. let me get you some sweet tea...
are any of ya'll hungry? i'll whip up some biscuits 'n gravy right quick!'

i'm a Northerner.
we're not QUITE so hospitible up here. :eek: ;)
if you knock on my door, i'll be like, 'there's some pop in the fridge. help yourself.... by the way, are you hungry? cause i could really go for some wings and beers right now. by the way, i'm broke.... do you have enough to cover the tab? i'll take you out drinking next week as a re-payment...'

luvs_food said:

". . . jest to tide y'all ovah til suppertahm. Daddeh brought ovah a mess o' Q 'n some 'lasses beans this mawnin', y'all got to stay 'n share 'em with us, 'long with some fresh-strawberreh pah. Then we'll awl head ovah to mah brother Puddy's place foh some dancin and some beer-bolled shrimp."

No such thing as a "quick visit" in Dixie. :)

You dang tootin' Catseye! If ya come ta visit ya best be prepared to stay awhile! There ain't nuthin' like a humid summer day in the South with an iced tea, sweet of course, sittin' under a big old pecan tree.

Juliev
That is correct, in the south BBQ is pork
In texas it is beef brisket.

Catseye said:
luvs_food said:

". . . jest to tide y'all ovah til suppertahm. Daddeh brought ovah a mess o' Q 'n some 'lasses beans this mawnin', y'all got to stay 'n share 'em with us, 'long with some fresh-strawberreh pah. Then we'll awl head ovah to mah brother Puddy's place foh some dancin and some beer-bolled shrimp."

No such thing as a "quick visit" in Dixie. :)

lol, up here in the North i'd just dig a can of biscuits from the trenches of the fridge, throw them on the floor, maybe give them a little nudge with my shoe, roll them in your general direction before pointing out where the cupboard that the baking pans are stored in is at, and inform you that i would also like some scrambled eggs with those biscuits.
lol, i'm just joking; i treat people as i would want to be treated. :)

Rainee said:
Juliev
That is correct, in the south BBQ is pork
In texas it is beef brisket.

so true, sad to say but as soon as I'm off the plane in Huntsville [AL not Texas], I'm off to Whitt's for some real pork bah-b-q......and some chicken with that white sauce....um-hmmmm

Catseye said:
I'm watching Al Roker's 'On the Road' show. There's this good ol' boy making bobbyque. He's gathered a little crowd around his grill. He says, "Yew take a piece-a this meat an' put it on top-a yore haid, yore tongue's gonna beat yore brains out tryin' ta git to it, that's how good this is."

:D :D :D

I saw that. I need to make some ribs.

I have a friend who lives near Montgomery, AL whom I went to visit last spring. He was apalled that my poor Yankee self had never had such Southern delights as hush puppies, sweet tea, fried cat fish, crawdads, etc. Needless to say we had a ton of fun munching our way through my time there. He'd grab some BBQ from what looked like a hole-in-the-wall place and you'd think he'd have died and gone to heaven. hehe

I must admit that in TX you're more likely to get beef brisket than pulled pork. You'll also not see a BBQ sauce that is mustard based ... I went to a class in Florida once and one of the guys took me for BBQ for lunch .. when all I saw on the table was this yellow stuff in squirt bottles and asked for BBQ sauce and was told that WAS BBQ sauce .....

For what it's worth ... the first Drive-In was in TX - called The Pig Stand .. served pulled/chopped BBQ pig with REAL BBQ sauce ....

But, if you drop by, we're not much different fron the rest of the South ...

Ya' et yet?

Of course - that glass of tea is going to Luzianne sweet tea ...

LOL mudbug ... 'nanner-puddin, chocolate sheet cake and pecan pie.

Pronounce it PUH-can, PUH-con - but a PEE-CAN is what a truck driver has under his seat.

know what, Michael? I've always heard of chocolate sheet cake as "Texas cake".

Southern-born husband continually reminds me about the proper pronunciation of PUH-cons.

LOL - the chocolate sheet cake actually falls back into a older catagory of "Southern hospitality cakes" ... company could drop by, and you could whip it up from scratch and have it ready in an hour ... since every good Southern woman would always have the fixin's on hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom