Ok....You have your own Diner....what...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would have everything that a diner should have! Massive burgers, footlong hot dogs (called a Dogzilla), tons of sammy's, salads and soups and you've GOTTA have one of those glass-enclosed carousels that have all the slices of pie! :D

Fried Ipswich clams.

Lobster rolls, in the New England buns with the sides cut off.

Baked ziti.

Chicken fried steak.

Fried chicken with mashed taters and gravy.

Frittata ala Auntdot.

And that would be the breakfast menu, now for lunch ..........

For a diner it would have to be truckstop, all the way.

If I went for soul food, it would be good greasy soul food with a heavy cajun accent (my mother is cajun so I cant help it) serving sausage with rice and beans, jambalaya, gumbo and breakfast 24 hours a day.

If I went mexican it would be good mexican trucker foods such as pork rind in tomatillo sauce burritos, refried pork beans, huevos rancheros, bistec ranchero and all those spicy, greasy foods acompanied by 50c coffee.

Idealy I would do both of course... sould food and Mexican. Oh yeah...

Great point about truckstops, Lugaru! I have a special place in my heart for truckstops and the food! Probably goes way back to when I was a kid and my parents and I would go on cross-country roadtrips to visit relatives in California and Oregon or to see the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. They're like a small town in the middle of nowhere always open, never closed and the food is the best comfort food of the area. Call me nostalgic, I like truckstops! :D

I'd fly over to Greece and kidnap a good friend of the family. She is by far the best cook I know.

I'd have a full Greek menu. All the old favorites.
and an American one too.

On the American side I'd offer.... hamburgers and homemade French Fries,
Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, Home made onion rings, Milkshakes, homemade pies and ice creams, Clam chowder, Split pea soup,
beef and veggie soup, grilled cheese sandwiches with choice of cheeses, meats and veggies on good thick white bread, chili ( I have the best recipe)
fried cat fish, steamed veggies,French dips, baked potatoes with bacon and tons of butter and salt.... and breakfast served all day long!

DampCharcoal said:
Great point about truckstops, Lugaru! I have a special place in my heart for truckstops and the food! Probably goes way back to when I was a kid and my parents and I would go on cross-country roadtrips to visit relatives in California and Oregon or to see the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. They're like a small town in the middle of nowhere always open, never closed and the food is the best comfort food of the area. Call me nostalgic, I like truckstops! :D

When I used to visit my Grandma, we used to sit down at the local truckstop for breakfast or lunch. It was lots of fun to talk to the truck drivers and hear their stories. If I was driving through my Grandma's town, I would look for her at the truckstop, before I would go to her home.

specifically, things like mashes potatoes and gravy and macaroni and cheese, mmmmmmmmm! greens!!!

I'd have the usual Greasy-Spoon-type food. Burgers, Ruebens, French Dips, Quesadillas, homemade Chili and Frito Pie, some other homemade Soups, and several different kinds of PIE!

I'd also do the usual down-home-country cooking; Fried/Blackened Catfish, Fried/Blackened chicken breasts, liver-n-onions, mac-n-cheese, chicken fingers, onion rings, etc.

The quintessential diner food has to be "Truck Stop" food! I've had some pretty bad "greazzzy spoon" diner stuff ... but never had a really bad experience in a truck stop ... something my Dad taught me years ago .... when you're on the road eat where the truckers eat.

Mine would have to have all the foods my mom cooked for us all the time--one or two different main dishes featured each day (the diner I mean--she only offered one! lol). Everyone always wanted to eat at our house because she was such a good cook. Good stuff like porcupine meatballs, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes with ham, enchiladas, tostadas, lasagna, spaghetti, chili, meatloaf, ham and beans with cornbread, tamale pie, potato salad, drunk chicken (marinated in sherry with parsley), fried chicken, chop suey, beef stew, corned beef and cabbage. She also made the best pies. I can cook like my mom did now, but I will never match her pies! I'm ok on the fillings, and I'm getting better on the crusts, but I can never make them as pretty as she did! Oh, and my place would serve plenty of vegetables and fruits! So many places these days just add a few for garnish.

:) Barbara

DampCharcoal said:
Were porcupine meatballs the ones with rice??? I'm almost positive I remember those!
Yes, rice in the meatballs, then cooked with tomatoes and parsley. Once, when I was sick (turned out to be appendicitis) my mom knew I was REALLY sick when I couldn't eat porcupine meatballs!

:) Barbara

I'd have all the classic diner food that y'all have mentioned, plus ... we can't forget hot roast beef/turkey sandwiches with gravy over Wonder bread, choice of fries or mashed. And I'd have at least two kinds of cake, probably coconut and chocolate, in the glass cake stands that luvs mentioned, and vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream. And hot fudge sundaes. And banana splits. And real milkshakes and Brown Cows.

Wow, I'd lost touch with how good diner food really is!

Cats

Btw if any of you guy's want to open that diner in boston feel free to. There is no "24 hours" or breakfast culture here. I really miss the south sometimes due to that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom