Ole' what's on the menu today 8-26-17?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We'll be having Carnitas with chili gravy and a bread pudding (savory) using Mexican/SW ingredients, which I've been tossing around in my mind.

LLWS playoffs today... North Carolina vs Texas... Japan vs Mexico...

That means pizza and salad..

Not sure what I will make for dessert..

Ross

Our daughter reminded me that she'll be at a wedding reception tonight - at Cleveland's House of Blues! Dad and I are on our own. We might go out to have fun, but I'm thinking we'll be at home chowing down on fresh Ohio sweet corn. :yum:

I accidentally picked up a package of 93% lean ground beef. Since it's not good for burgers, I decided to make some ACS for dinner tonight. That and a tossed salad to complete the meal.

So far, everyone's meals sound great!
CG, you guys enjoy your time in Ohio!

wholly chipotle.jpg

Got this in the mail the other day and I plan on grilling some b/s Chicken Thighs for Green Chile Enchiladas ... that's if we don't get rained out :ermm:

BTW, is everyone in Harvey's path okey-dokey?

I think we will be doing a test run of 2 new recipes. Details later.

Unless someone decides they want something else.

I had chorus workshop from 10 to 3 today. I'm whupped! Singing is exhausting. However, last night I took some ground turkey out of the freezer. I'm thinking of making tacos with it. Have some soft shells in the freezer that will thaw quickly and have all the other ingredients. Not sure if I will make anything else with them. We'll probably just call it good and have some ice cream later if anyone is still hungry.

I'm going to grill a couple chicken cutlets really quick and top with a flavorful sauce, a variation of this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...cken-cutlet-rosemary-garlic-lemon-recipe.html

I'm thinking garlic, lime juice and Penzeys Salsa & Pico Seasoning. I'll also grill a couple ears of corn and dress them elote-style with sour cream, a little lime juice, feta and Penzeys Arizona Dreaming.

And I'll make quick salads with just romaine, cucumbers, tomato for me, and some bell peppers I roasted yesterday.

I made a yummy eastern European dish that's super easy -- cabbage and noodles or "Halusky". Our Croatian-American neighbor taught my wife the recipe.

Really simple. Just fry up 3/4 pounds or so of bacon in the cast iron skillet, remove when done and let it drain, then remove most of the bacon grease out of the skillet. Then put in about 6 cups of chopped cabbage and let it get soft, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile boil a bag of egg noodles (I used 3/4 of a bag) in a separate pan. When the noodles are done, drain, add to the skillet and crumble the bacon into the pan along with 2 tablespoons of butter, stir, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring the noodles/cabbage/bacon occasionally. Freshly grated pepper goes on at the end.

Last edited:
I think we will be doing a test run of 2 new recipes. Details later.

Unless someone decides they want something else.

Peach Balsamic Chicken, steamed baby spinach and Farro Salad. It was a first run of the Peach Balsamic Chicken and the Farro Salad.

The Farro salad was really good. I picked up the Farro at Trader Joe's awhile ago and thought it would go good with this chicken dish.

The Peach Balsamic Chicken was from a recipe card my DD got from work. It needs some tweaking. It called for fire roasted tomatoes which overpowered the other ingredients. I have a few ideas to rework this recipe. We may try it again next week.

peach_balsamic_chicken_farro_082617_P1100196 .JPG

farro_tomato_herb_salad_082617_P1100193.jpg

Peach Balsamic Chicken, steamed baby spinach and Farro Salad. It was a first run of the Peach Balsamic Chicken and the Farro Salad.

The Farro salad was really good. I picked up the Farro at Trader Joe's awhile ago and thought it would go good with this chicken dish.

The Peach Balsamic Chicken was from a recipe card my DD got from work. It needs some tweaking. It called for fire roasted tomatoes which overpowered the other ingredients. I have a few ideas to rework this recipe. We may try it again next week.
Looks interesting, msmofet. What else was in the farro salad?

Man, you all are making me hungry. The wife is gone tonight, so Dad is chef. Unfortunately, I spent the day working on the rv barn, so I'm whooped. Frozen pizza for those of us left behind.

My daughter invited me over to her and her SO's new condo tonight for dinner. It's officially the first time she has ever invited me over for a sit-down dinner. In fact, it was the first time they've ever really entertained, period. She was embarrassed because the serving dishes were a little mismatched, but the truth is I couldn't have been more proud.

We had Thai red curry with pork (it's a recipe I gave to her a couple of years ago). It was very good.

So far, everyone's meals sound great!
CG, you guys enjoy your time in Ohio!

View attachment 27665

Got this in the mail the other day and I plan on grilling some b/s Chicken Thighs for Green Chile Enchiladas ... that's if we don't get rained out :ermm:

BTW, is everyone in Harvey's path okey-dokey?

OLE' !!

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

The rain was threatening in the late afternoon, so I grilled the chicken earlier than I would normally, but it all turned out ok. In fact, very tasty Chipotle Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas!

*Note to self: do not buy that cheap store brand shredded cheese again! It doesn't melt all that well.

Last edited:
Football scrimmage this morning, then 9 holes of golf this afternoon, so we went out for dinner to a place we seem to be unable to avoid: Morris County New Jersey Best Family Restaurants ? Black River Barn ? Morris County NJ Best Family Restaurants

The website looks great: the inside is decorated with a barn theme and has outside seating, and a courtyard for playing yard games, and a beautiful turtle and carp filled lake behind it.

However, the food is regularly underwhelming for the most part. Well, that's my opinion, anyway.

I was initially thinking that I was wrong with our shared fried calamari appetizer. It was delicious, and a good sized portion. They didn't really have a spicy marinara sauce for dipping (even though the waiter made a big deal about bringing us both mild and spicy), both were mild, but no big deal.

For entrees, my boy had 2 lobster rolls and veggie chips. The rolls were OK, not too much mayo, but the lobster meat was diced pretty small, and there was egg, and celery, and onion, and other stuff. Too many fillers. It came with veggie chips. The waiter said they were made in house, but it was obviously from a brand that we regularly buy at home. lol. The boy enjoyed everything nonetheless.

DW had grilled scallops over a Thai noodle salad. The 4 scallops that were properly grilled were a bit shy for the price when served over a weird mix of fresh greens, thinly sliced salad veggies, and a little cold rice flour noodles. But she enjoyed it.

I had a daily special of baby shrimp over scrod in a sweet mango and cilantro sauce, sides of yellow rice, and steamed broccoli.

It was was boring as you could get. I rarely ask for salt and/or hot sauces when I eat out, but it needed both. There was an orange colored sauce over top, but it tasted nothing of mango or cilantro, just like a sweet-ish paste. And the baby shrimp were bland. Good for nothing but texture. The whole dish was relatively tasteless.

Anyway, the worst part was that the yellow rice tasted exactly like a box of Goya that you can buy in a store. And the steamed broccoli was raw but wet. I mean, c'mon now.

So, to summarize, we'll probably be back the next time we play here (golf).
Lol.

Last edited:
Blast from the past tonight...Taco Impossible Pie.

I remember it being a whole lot better back in the day than it actually is today, but SC is having a dental issue and it seemed like a good idea at the time. He liked it but he is easy to please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom