"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
After playing in the kitchen all day, dinner is a beautiful T bone steak. Mmmmmm!!!
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Hi Katie..good to see you. Your dish sounds delicious, although I'd have to switch out the Feta that I don't like. I just recently learned that your swede is our rutabaga, and now I've learned that your celeriac is our celery root althoughI've known for a while that your aubergine is our eggplant. Since your English came first, I'm always fascinated by why we changed the names of produce. Just one more thing to scratch my head over.


I never knew that "swede" was "rutabaga"! One to add to my list Kayelle! Either way, I hate the stuff!
__________________

__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I never knew that "swede" was "rutabaga"! One to add to my list Kayelle! Either way, I hate the stuff!
Katy, actually there's rutabaga which is yellow fleshed, and then there's turnip that is white fleshed. Does the word "swede" mean both or just one? Do you hate both? I don't like white turnips, but I do like yellow rutabagas. What I really hate is parsnips..do you call those evil white carrot looking things parsnips?
Are you as dizzy as I am now?
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Katy, actually there's rutabaga which is yellow fleshed, and then there's turnip that is white fleshed. Does the word "swede" mean both or just one? Do you hate both? I don't like white turnips, but I do like yellow rutabagas. What I really hate is parsnips..do you call those evil white carrot looking things parsnips?
Are you as dizzy as I am now?
Parsnips are tasty! (Very nice cooked and roughly mashed with carrots with lots of butter and salt and pepper - a staple on my Christmas table!)

The large yellow swede or the small pale white turnip.....

Neither is appetising, but the turnip is at least edible! (Just totally bland)
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,481
I made Navy bean and ham soup with biscuits. Very tasty.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Bookbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 210
I have a ham bone simmering for bean soup later this week. Yum.

Presalted a chicken early this morning and it's in the oven. Fingerlings are starting to sprout...I'll roast a few with a fennel bulb, some garlic and one of my last leeks. Coleslaw made from a fresh batch of red kraut. My sis sent some dates for Christmas....sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

I made spaetzle. Once. Was bad. I think my dough was too thin. Or the holes in my sieve were too small. Not sure because I'd never actually seen or eaten spaetzle before I tried to cook it, lol. I will have to try it again.
__________________
Bookbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,953
We were invited to friends for pot luck / tv football playoffs today. We had chili with assorted toppinngs, veggies and dips, chips, broccoli salad.

I drew the short straw and was elected to bring dessert (not always my best my cooking forte.) I made peach upside down cake using Costco jarred peaches and a bowl of whipped cream. Everything was good.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
I have a ham bone simmering for bean soup later this week. Yum.

Presalted a chicken early this morning and it's in the oven. Fingerlings are starting to sprout...I'll roast a few with a fennel bulb, some garlic and one of my last leeks. Coleslaw made from a fresh batch of red kraut. My sis sent some dates for Christmas....sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

I made spaetzle. Once. Was bad. I think my dough was too thin. Or the holes in my sieve were too small. Not sure because I'd never actually seen or eaten spaetzle before I tried to cook it, lol. I will have to try it again.
You might find this recent thread interesting BB..
Tips on Spaetzle

We changed plans tonight and had good ole Taco's with home fried corn taco shells.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Souschef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Santa Paula,CA
Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You might find this recent thread interesting BB..
Tips on Spaetzle

We changed plans tonight and had good ole Taco's with home fried corn taco shells.
i just sold my Taco Bell stock LOL
__________________
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
It must have been awesome, SC! Who gets the raves for dinner tonight? You, or KL?
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.