On the first Sunday of 2015 I made...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
...a Celeriac, Lamb and Feta bake.

It was a recipe in the December Good Food magazine and was supposed to be swede rather than celeriac - but I loathe swede so celeriac seemed like a reasonable substitution.

And it was! Very tasty indeed. :yum: This is a good recipe if you like Moussaka but don't like aubergine (eggplant).

Anyway, enough of my blabbering - what did everyone else have today? (Or what are you planning).

...a Celeriac, Lamb and Feta bake.

It was a recipe in the December Good Food magazine and was supposed to be swede rather than celeriac - but I loathe swede so celeriac seemed like a reasonable substitution.

And it was! Very tasty indeed. :yum: This is a good recipe if you like Moussaka but don't like aubergine (eggplant).

Anyway, enough of my blabbering - what did everyone else have today? (Or what are you planning).

Hi Katie..good to see you. Your dish sounds delicious, although I'd have to switch out the Feta that I don't like. I just recently learned that your swede is our rutabaga, and now I've learned that your celeriac is our celery root althoughI've known for a while that your aubergine is our eggplant. Since your English came first, I'm always fascinated by why we changed the names of produce. Just one more thing to scratch my head over. ;)

Roastbeef with Spaetzle and green beans ;o)

Spaetzle!! Are you using your cool new gadget Cara? Now I'm hungry for spaetzle. I think I'll do some lamb chops tonight with a side of spaetzle too.

That picture is gorgeous WP....looks like three of us have a lamb theme going!

Last edited:
This past March, shortly after St. Patrick's Day, I bought several corned beef briskets at Costco, on sale for $1.98/Lb. They went into the freezer and we have been enjoying them from time to time.

Tonight we'll have the last of the briskets along with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots. It smells so good right now. Hopefully, there will be enough left over for Ruben sandwiches later in the week.

Spaetzle!! Are you using your cool new gadget Cara? Now I'm hungry for spaetzle. I think I'll do some lamb chops tonight with a side of spaetzle too.

That picture is gorgeous WP....looks like three of us have a lamb theme going!

I saw a tip to use your potato ricer for spaetzle....How To Cook Everything, Mark Bittman, 10th Anniversary Edition.

I had a veggie blend sauteed in bacon fat with lots of bacon pieces. Quite yummy.

After playing in the kitchen all day, dinner is a beautiful T bone steak. Mmmmmm!!!

Hi Katie..good to see you. Your dish sounds delicious, although I'd have to switch out the Feta that I don't like. I just recently learned that your swede is our rutabaga, and now I've learned that your celeriac is our celery root althoughI've known for a while that your aubergine is our eggplant. Since your English came first, I'm always fascinated by why we changed the names of produce. Just one more thing to scratch my head over. ;)

I never knew that "swede" was "rutabaga"! One to add to my list Kayelle! Either way, I hate the stuff! :LOL:

I never knew that "swede" was "rutabaga"! One to add to my list Kayelle! Either way, I hate the stuff! :LOL:

Katy, actually there's rutabaga which is yellow fleshed, and then there's turnip that is white fleshed. Does the word "swede" mean both or just one? Do you hate both? I don't like white turnips, but I do like yellow rutabagas. What I really hate is parsnips..do you call those evil white carrot looking things parsnips?
Are you as dizzy as I am now? :wacko::LOL:

Last edited:
Katy, actually there's rutabaga which is yellow fleshed, and then there's turnip that is white fleshed. Does the word "swede" mean both or just one? Do you hate both? I don't like white turnips, but I do like yellow rutabagas. What I really hate is parsnips..do you call those evil white carrot looking things parsnips?
Are you as dizzy as I am now? :wacko::LOL:

Parsnips are tasty! (Very nice cooked and roughly mashed with carrots with lots of butter and salt and pepper - a staple on my Christmas table!) :rolleyes:

The large yellow swede or the small pale white turnip.....

Neither is appetising, but the turnip is at least edible! (Just totally bland):mellow:

I have a ham bone simmering for bean soup later this week. Yum.

Presalted a chicken early this morning and it's in the oven. Fingerlings are starting to sprout...I'll roast a few with a fennel bulb, some garlic and one of my last :( leeks. Coleslaw made from a fresh batch of red kraut. My sis sent some dates for Christmas....sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

I made spaetzle. Once. Was bad. I think my dough was too thin. Or the holes in my sieve were too small. Not sure because I'd never actually seen or eaten spaetzle before I tried to cook it, lol. I will have to try it again.

We were invited to friends for pot luck / tv football playoffs today. We had chili with assorted toppinngs, veggies and dips, chips, broccoli salad.

I drew the short straw and was elected to bring dessert (not always my best my cooking forte.) I made peach upside down cake using Costco jarred peaches and a bowl of whipped cream. Everything was good.

I have a ham bone simmering for bean soup later this week. Yum.

Presalted a chicken early this morning and it's in the oven. Fingerlings are starting to sprout...I'll roast a few with a fennel bulb, some garlic and one of my last :( leeks. Coleslaw made from a fresh batch of red kraut. My sis sent some dates for Christmas....sticky toffee pudding for dessert.

I made spaetzle. Once. Was bad. I think my dough was too thin. Or the holes in my sieve were too small. Not sure because I'd never actually seen or eaten spaetzle before I tried to cook it, lol. I will have to try it again.

You might find this recent thread interesting BB..
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/tips-on-spaetzle-91799.html

We changed plans tonight and had good ole Taco's with home fried corn taco shells. :yum:

It must have been awesome, SC! Who gets the raves for dinner tonight? You, or KL?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom