Opinions on menu for guests

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babetoo

Chef Extraordinaire
i need some feed back on what i plan to serve for daughter in laws bday dinner.

baked shrimp scampi (barefoot lady)
flat noodles with alfreado sauce, bite size fresh asparagus and sauted mushrooms and diced onion. a little parm on the top
i plan a salad my son and his wife both love. ginger and honey dressing. with the salad i plan :chef: to have stars cut from crescent dough with an egg wash and seasame seed tops and baked.
either a lemon cake or berry blossams for dessert.
i think i need a yellow veg. but can only come up with corn.

any ideas or what do u think?

Last edited:
Love everything but the onions in the alfredo. And I love alfredo. And I love onions. I add sun dried tomatoes in mine too. Where's your RED?
Dessert sound yummy, especially this time of year. But in your local, not unusual to be able to get lemons or berries. Either or. Yellow veggie?
What about the GARLIC? I don't see GARLIC.
If you don't use lemon in your dessert, you can do any veggie with lemon, and lemon wedges as a garnish, and garlic!
Just my take. I'm sure it will be wonderful. And sounds like all it from the heart. ENJOY!

I've seen yellow squash at my market already, maybe that could be your yellow? Or you could chop some yellow peppers into the flat noodles and alfredo. Everything sounds wonderful, are you going to prep much of it? Sounds like a bit of work...not that it won't be worth it.

i need some feed back on what i plan to serve for daughter in laws bday dinner.

baked shrimp scampi (barefoot lady)
flat noodles with alfreado sauce, bite size fresh asparagus and sauted mushrooms and diced onion. a little parm on the top
i plan a salad my son and his wife both love. ginger and honey dressing. with the salad i plan :chef: to have stars cut from crescent dough with an egg wash and seasame seed tops and baked.
either a lemon cake or berry blossams for dessert.
i think i need a yellow veg. but can only come up with corn.

any ideas or what do u think?

Love everything but the onions in the alfredo. And I love alfredo. And I love onions. I add sun dried tomatoes in mine too. Where's your RED?
Dessert sound yummy, especially this time of year. But in your local, not unusual to be able to get lemons or berries. Either or. Yellow veggie?
If you don't use lemon in your dessert, you can do any veggie with lemon, and lemon wedges as a garnish, and garlic!
Just my take. I'm sure it will be wonderful. And sounds like all it from the heart. ENJOY!

I think yellow squash and red bell peppers saluted with garlic. Does that make you both happy??:chef:

Oh that sounds so good! I think yellow squash would be lovely, if you can find it. Sauteed with some olive oil and garlic maybe? If you are lacking a good alfredo recipe, here is what we had for dinner tonight. Hubby loves it, and it is not as heavy as traditional alfredos...you could adapt it by leaving out the chicken and substituting the asparagus and mushroooms. I think a bit of sun-dried tomato would look beautiful too.

SKILLET CHICKEN ALMOST ALFREDO WITH VEGETABLES

1/2 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin into strips
2 TBS butter
Salt and pepper

3 TBS butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup cream

I cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced julienne

½ pound fettuccine noodles
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Cook fettuccine noodles, broccoli and carrots together in a generous pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, drain.

Meanwhile, in a skillet that is large enough to accommodate entire dish, sauté chicken pieces in butter until done, stirring frequently. Season to taste. Do not overcook. Set aside.

In same skillet, add 3 TBS butter and sauté on medium heat garlic until almost caramelized. Add broth to deglaze skillet, let simmer a few minutes, scraping bottom of skillet. Then add cream and ½ cup parmesan cheese, stir until slightly thickened.

Add chicken, stir in noodles and vegetables. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese and stir gently. Serves 2 generously.

Buen provecho!

I think the shrimp may be similar or the same recipe as we had on xmas eve... the dish was excellent...

I agree on scrapping the onions in the alfredo

Yellow Squash came to mind before I read the other posts... probably a better fit than corn

I like the idea of the squash and peppers posted above ,,, think it would go great with the rest

Sounds great babe... do you have a recipe for the ginger-honey dressing? Sounds interesting.

the scampi has garlic in it.

Oh that sounds so good! I think yellow squash would be lovely, if you can find it. Sauteed with some olive oil and garlic maybe? If you are lacking a good alfredo recipe, here is what we had for dinner tonight. Hubby loves it, and it is not as heavy as traditional alfredos...you could adapt it by leaving out the chicken and substituting the asparagus and mushroooms. I think a bit of sun-dried tomato would look beautiful too.

SKILLET CHICKEN ALMOST ALFREDO WITH VEGETABLES

1/2 lb chicken breasts, sliced thin into strips
2 TBS butter
Salt and pepper

3 TBS butter
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup cream

I cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced julienne

½ pound fettuccine noodles
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Cook fettuccine noodles, broccoli and carrots together in a generous pot of boiling water for about 8 minutes, drain.

Meanwhile, in a skillet that is large enough to accommodate entire dish, sauté chicken pieces in butter until done, stirring frequently. Season to taste. Do not overcook. Set aside.

In same skillet, add 3 TBS butter and sauté on medium heat garlic until almost caramelized. Add broth to deglaze skillet, let simmer a few minutes, scraping bottom of skillet. Then add cream and ½ cup parmesan cheese, stir until slightly thickened.

Add chicken, stir in noodles and vegetables. Sprinkle with more parmesan cheese and stir gently. Serves 2 generously.

Buen provecho!

this sounds lovely but her favorite is shrimp, hence the scampi. but i will make this for my self, since it is only two servings. thanks

I've seen yellow squash at my market already, maybe that could be your yellow? Or you could chop some yellow peppers into the flat noodles and alfredo. Everything sounds wonderful, are you going to prep much of it? Sounds like a bit of work...not that it won't be worth it.

i think yellow squash sounds like a winner and would add the peppers. peppers are one of my son's favorite. the opinion seems to be no onions so will leave them out.
i am only feeding three adults so the prep won't be so bad. thanks

I think the shrimp may be similar or the same recipe as we had on xmas eve... the dish was excellent...

I agree on scrapping the onions in the alfredo

Yellow Squash came to mind before I read the other posts... probably a better fit than corn

I like the idea of the squash and peppers posted above ,,, think it would go great with the rest

Sounds great babe... do you have a recipe for the ginger-honey dressing? Sounds interesting.

would you believe the dressings comes in a pre pack of greens along with wonton crispy strips and dried cherries. it is so good and they loved it last time they were here in oct. the nearest i can buy in market is paul neuman, but not the same. i guess one could experiment and make their own. maybe i will give it a try another time.

Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

• 8 oz fettuccine, cooked and drained​
  • 1 Tablespoon margarine​
  • 2 cloves garlic​
  • 1 lb medium shrimp (buy local shrimp) cleaned and deveined​
  • 2 green onions​
  • 1/4 cup margarine​
  • 1 1/4 cups light cream or half and half divided​
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese​
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper​
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg​
  • dash salt​
Methods/steps
  • Cook fettucini al dente. Drain​
  • While pasta is cooking, saute garlic in 1 Tablespoon margarine until browned. Add the shrimp and continue cooking 1-2 minutes until shrimp just pink. Set aside.​
  • In the pot used to cook pasta add the 1/4 cup of margarine, light cream, parmesan cheese, pepper and nutmeg. Mix with a wire wisk until well blended and starts to thicken. Heat until just starts to bubble. Add pasta and shrimp. Mix well.​
  • Sprinkle with green onions.​

I need to bookmark this thread - GREAT suggestions and babetoo, your meal sounds delish!

I really don't think you need a yellow veg, but a medley of red peppers and squash would work, as others have suggested.

would you believe the dressings comes in a pre pack of greens along with wonton crispy strips and dried cherries. it is so good and they loved it last time they were here in oct. the nearest i can buy in market is paul neuman, but not the same. i guess one could experiment and make their own. maybe i will give it a try another time.

LOL!. I will have to try to concoct a recipe using these flavors. I like to make dressing... I think I have the right ingredients on hand.

these recipes sound really good. I might try them later on for myself. We should have a place where people can place their collection of recipes they wanna share

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom