"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-08-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
Certified Executive Chef

Organic Foods

I was curious how many of this list buy organic foods only or partially. I live in an area where they are abundant and I usually buy only seasonal organic produce and meats. Sometimes we cannot always get it, but I do not buy boxed or frozen foods at all except some frozen desert items and sometimes berries and mushroom medely. The food does taste a lot better when done fresh, but that is my opinion. If I buy anything that is packaged I read the label and if it contains chemicals I do not buy it.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
everything i eat is all organic!!

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Sous Chef

My opinion is "organic = overpriced, same as low-carb = overpriced." Not trying to be argumentative, but that's my opinion.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
My opinion is "organic = overpriced, same as low-carb = overpriced." Not trying to be argumentative, but that's my opinion.
only if you know where to get the organic foods for cheap
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:04 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
I like the preservatives..... I figure that it will counter my smoking habbit and make me like longer.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Cook

We try to buy local and organic. We are fortunate to have friends how are part of the Organic Valley Co-operative farms. They run an organic dairy, grow their own organic feed in addition to raising organic meat chickens, laying hens, raising organic pork and pasture raised beef.

The chick runs about 2.69 # for approx 6# birds. The organic beef anywhere from 3-3.69 #. Considering chicken breasts can run around 3.99 # for factory farmed I don't find the organic prices out of line.
Produce can be pricey BUT if you stick to seasonal produce or buy through a co-op you often can purchase organic at the same price or less than "regular" produce.
I see a big difference in the taste of my meat/poultry dishes. You can actually brown meat that has not been injected with sodium solution ( as much of the meat especially in Wal-mart is!) Additionally I don't have to worry that the cow was eating OTHER dead cows!

We were raising our own laying hens(until they decided to live in my neighbor's tree! THATS a story for another day!) we gave them organic feed and allowed them to range free. The taste of store eggs is fishy(literally).
Old 10-08-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Organic foods tend to be of higher quality, simply because they tend to be more expensive, and to justify that expense, they are often, in my experience, simply better. However, that being said, I am skeptical about many organic foods. The GMO issue is one where hysteria and ignorance has won out over real science. Only morons and the ignorant believe in all that "frankenfood" nonsense that is popular in Europe. Also, for certain products, organic foods are pointless. Does anyone honestly believe that organic coffee extract or chocolate is somehow better than regular? Give me a break. I'm sure that Green and Black makes quality chocolate, for example, but I also know that Valhrona, Scharffen Berger, Lindt, Callebaut, and many of the most acclaimed chocolate makers that you see in the top lists and surveys in hundreds of articles and cookbooks are not organic. If the best producers don't bother with organic, then it's not worth my time. More to the point, unless you can give me a concrete reasons to buy a specific organic product (threat of BSE, ethical treatment of animals, etc...) I'm not going to waste my money just because some tree hugger tells me it is "natural". (whatever the heck that means)

The only area where I am much more likely to choose organic products is in the area of meat. These damn meat producers were feeding their cattle rendered meat products for years, spreading BSE and threatening all of our health. They pump all sorts of crap into their livestock, including hormones. Granted, hormones are harmless, but I suspect that they could just as easily have been dangerous, and the producers would have happily kept on pumping them in without regard for our safety. I don't trust these meat producers. I also think they do not treat their animals humanely, which doesn't exactly endear me to them.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Cook

Personally I am not if favor of genetically modified foods...home that doesn't make me a moron!

BUT I really DO like Scharffen Berger Chocolate...anyway its made! :P
Old 10-08-2004, 10:03 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Scharffen Berger is excellent. They are cheaper than Valrhona, but substatively equal in quality. For me it's like Coke versus Pepsi; I like Valrhona ever so slightly more in a direct comparison, but not enough to justify the cost. SB kicks ass.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
I like the preservatives..... I figure that it will counter my smoking habbit and make me like longer.
otter, try organic carrots and bananas vs. regular ones just as a test. you won't believe the difference.

my garden is totally organic, to the point of including sacrificial plants for pests, overplanting to account for loss, releasing beneficial nematodes and hunter insects, and composting. the produce that comes from it is amazing, year after year. chemical pesticides and fertilizers work for a while, but definitely rob the produce of certain key things that control taste and texture, as well as cause you to become dependent on them. once you begin that slippery slope, the soil gets worse and worse and the more chemicals you have to use.

my wife and i buy as much organic produce and meats as we can, but unfortunately, it's not all that available so it probably only makes up about half of our diet.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote