Our Daily...Desserts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I've noticed there are a few of us who like a regular sweet treat. (yup, I'm lookin' at you Katie H. ;) ) I've been known to give in to the "screaming sweet tooth" frequently, so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to desserts? You can have it right after a meal, you can have it an hour or two afterwards, or you can have it before dinner! After all "Life is Short ~ Eat Dessert First" is some peoples' motto. It doesn't have to be a home-baked item ~ we do have a http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/what-are-you-baking-today-2014-a-88779.html thread, but can be something you threw together or bought. Photos optional.

Tonight we had ice cream with fresh peaches, cherries, and blueberries. Unlike many of you, I didn't make the ice cream. I did, however, make the bowl! It's amazing what you can do by the 8th (and last) pottery class of your life.

Attachments

• 2014-08-05 23.52.12.jpg
    2014-08-05 23.52.12.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 277
CG, that is a beautiful bowl!! And your dessert looks so yummy.

I love frozen dessert sweets in the evenings. :yum: This pic is from a while back, but I love this stuff. Having a bowl of it right now before bed. :)

img_1379021_0_6abb5c65bc80918b60510a09c60ac1cb.jpg

I just finished my second half-a-bowl of Haagen Dazs, chocolate ice cream. We had an ice cream party and not very many people showed up. We have 20 x 1/2 litre tubs of ice cream (some strawberry, some chocolate, lots of vanilla). Oh woe is me, whatever will I do with all that delicious ice cream. :ROFLMAO: :pig:

Cheryl, we love Talenti. Kinda pricey, so it's an infrequent treat. And, hoarder that I am, I always try to repurpose those containers. Coffee is my favorite flavor. And thanks so much for complimenting my bowl. Every once in a while something crafty turns out just right.

...We had an ice cream party and not very many people showed up. We have 20 x 1/2 litre tubs of ice cream...whatever will I do with all that delicious ice cream. :ROFLMAO: :pig:
Hmm, if I leave now I can probably get to your place by....oh, wait. I don't have a passport. :( *sigh*

Cheryl, your picture doesn't show up for me.

It seems we all have ice cream on the menu - I had a Klondike Bar. They were on sale and we have some youth coming over next week to paint our fence so I wanted to have a refreshing treat for them. Of course I had to try them out to make sure they were good! :angel:

My day isn't complete if I don't get a dessert around 9:00PM-9:30PM. Ice cream is in the rotation. I'll make vanilla or maple walnut. There's usually some bought ice cream in the freezer as a back up.

However, that's not the only dessert. Cookies (either baked or bought) and milk, a quick and easy chocolate cake, chocolate eclair dessert, apple turnovers, brownies, lemon squares, etc. The list is endless.

Pepperidge Farms makes the best store bought cookies and the Raspberry Milano is the best cookie they make. The Chesapeake dark chocolate chip and pecan cookie is a close second.

I've noticed there are a few of us who like a regular sweet treat. (yup, I'm lookin' at you Katie H. ;) ) I've been known to give in to the "screaming sweet tooth" frequently, so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to desserts?

I thought you might be looking my way, Cooking Goddess. Guilty as charged.

It's rare we don't have some form of sweet after our evening meal. Not necessarily a lot, just a little touch of sweet to finish.

Most of the time I plan something that will last about a week and fill in if necessary. As it turns out, I'm usually making/baking the chosen dessert on Saturday.

This week it was mixed berry cobbler, which included a healthy portion of blackberries from our blackberry vines in the back yard. I'd frozen some blueberries and raspberries, enough to complete the recipe. So the cobbler was born. Looks like it will last a couple more days.

While I was grocery shopping yesterday, our Kroger had a steal of a deal on fresh strawberries. I may either make a strawberry pie or strawberry ice cream...or both. The ice cream will keep.

Often I play around with a flavor concept and try to come up with some sort of dessert that we might enjoy. That's where the pina colada cake we had last week came from.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:rolleyes:

I'm making fresh cherry cupcakes with cherry buttercream. Craig loves cherry chip cake and since it's still around his birthday time we're trying this to see if he might have a new favorite. You macerate the cherries with sugar, puree and use in the cake and the frosting.

Frozen yogurt pie. Raspberry flavor is our favorite. As simple as it comes: Graham cracker crust, raspberry yogurt and whipped cream. Freeze it up and serve.

Attachments

• frozenyogurtpie.png
    frozenyogurtpie.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 181
I just finished my second half-a-bowl of Haagen Dazs, chocolate ice cream. We had an ice cream party and not very many people showed up. We have 20 x 1/2 litre tubs of ice cream (some strawberry, some chocolate, lots of vanilla). Oh woe is me, whatever will I do with all that delicious ice cream. :ROFLMAO: :pig:
I could hop a 'plane and come and help. What are friends for if not to be there in an emergency:LOL:

We rarely have dessert. Occasionally we go to Sweet Frog for frozen yogurt and sometimes I layer vanilla Greek yogurt, macerated fruit, granola and local honey for a little treat. Sometimes I put a couple of spoonfuls of dark and milk chocolate chips, peanut butter and honey in a little glass ramekin and microwave it for 30 seconds to melt them together.

We can't eat a lot of sweet stuff (which hurts with me being a baker and all), but during the summer I keep an endless fruit salad going all the time. It changes from week to week as the fruits come in and out of season, but it is always delicious and healthy. We do add some ice cream (homemade or bought) once in awhile and I do make TB some gluten free treats as well.

That's two different desserts - the layered yogurt one and the chocolate-peanut butter one ;)
:doh:
Well, it's the one with yogourt that was an almost standard "hippy dessert", called yogourt paradiso. :LOL:

Peanut butter and chocolate didn't sound wrong. ;)

GG, you might be having that yogurt for dessert, but I like it for breakfast or lunch: fresh fruit in small chunks mixed into plain Greek yogurt. Himself saw me having some yesterday afternoon and asked why I didn't just by the already-fruited ones like I would before on occasion. I told him because 1) I always have plain to use like sour cream, and 2) adding my own fresh fruits keeps the carb count way down.

LP, who said fruit isn't dessert? It doesn't have to be a brownie or cake. Fruit is good. Heck, cheese makes a good dessert.

taxy, peanut butter and chocolate NEVER sound wrong! :LOL:

I had some fresh cherries with a few discs of melting chocolate (Merkens works in a pinch). Chasing them down with a bit of Merlot wine. There is something about berries, chocolate and the right red wine that makes my taste buds happy.

Back
Top Bottom