Palm Sunday dinner..3/25/18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
What's going on at your house?

I'm using my Sous Vide for the second time today. The first time was for a perfectly cooked Tri Tip and I was over the moon happy with it after browning it on the searing side burner of our gas grill.

Today, we're doing 1/2 of a two bone prime rib...otherwise known as a humongous rib eye steak. :LOL:

Crazy house with just 3 days until we move..

I'm taking time out to fry some large pork chops because I'm tired of take out... Steamed veggies and pilaf as sides..

Ross

Today, we're doing 1/2 of a two bone prime rib...otherwise known as a humongous rib eye steak. :LOL:

Great minds, and all that... I have a bone-in ribeye seasoned in the fridge for a sous vide and sear cook. It is a Nolan Ryan USDA Choice steak I scored in the Manager's Special meat section at Kroger.

Steak is probably my favorite meat to cook that way. :yum:

CD

Last edited:
Getting tired of not getting around to making dinner until later in the evening. We have a few leftovers in case anyone is interested, but I made a large, late afternoon lupper of breakfast sausages, a mushroom and onion omelet with farmer's cheese, a large crashed potato to split, and a hot cross bun.

Attachments

• 20180325_174317.jpg
    20180325_174317.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 111
Getting tired of not getting around to making dinner until later in the evening. We have a few leftovers in case anyone is interested, but I made a large, late afternoon lupper of breakfast sausages, a mushroom and onion omelet with farmer's cheese, a large crashed potato to split, and a hot cross bun.
I will be so pleased when Jeannie and I have our own apartment. Love the kids but, I'm accustomed to earlier meals, etc.. Eating at 7 or 8PM is not my cup of tea.. I just hope some people move from the apartment complex soon.. We are #3 on the wait list.. :ermm:

Ross

Great minds, and all that... I have a bone-in ribeye seasoned in the fridge for a sous vide and sear cook. It is a Nolan Ryan USDA Choice steak I scored in the Manager's Special meat section at Kroger.

Steak is probably my favorite meat to cook that way. :yum:

CD

Casey, let me pick your brain a bit about what I did.

We had a Choice 2 bone, 5lb. perfectly marbled prime rib in the freezer for a year or more. I defrosted it in the fridge, and sliced it in half, refreezing the other half for another time. We wanted to do it today so I melted 1/2 stick of butter with some black soy sauce and several cloves of sliced garlic. I poured it over the bagged meat, massaged well and it's on it's way in the Sous Vide. I would have liked to season it and let it rest in the fridge for a couple days, but this is what I did. Any guess how it will turn out after the sear on my grill side burner? It will be ready in less than two hours from now as it was started 4 hrs ago.
Should I dry it off before the sear, remembering the burner is 12,000 BTU?
If Casey isn't here right now, I'd appreciate the thoughts from any other Sous Vide experts also.
TIA:chef:

Last edited:
I will be so pleased when Jeannie and I have our own apartment. Love the kids but, I'm accustomed to earlier meals, etc.. Eating at 7 or 8PM is not my cup of tea.. I just hope some people move from the apartment complex soon.. We are #3 on the wait list.. :ermm:

Ross

I hear you there Ross. My whole life, dinner has always been between 6-7. We go to bed between 10-11 so digestion before bed is needed at this age to be sure. Many of our favorite TV shows come on at 10, so if we're sleepy then we're glad for the DVD. It will be good when Jeannie comes and you can get back to a comfortable routine.;)

That's one gorgeous plate RL!!!

We had a Choice 2 bone, 5lb. perfectly marbled prime rib in the freezer for a year or more. I defrosted it in the fridge, and sliced it in half, refreezing the other half for another time. We wanted to do it today so I melted 1/2 stick of butter with some black soy sauce and several cloves of sliced garlic. I poured it over the bagged meat, massaged well and it's on it's way in the Sous Vide. I would have liked to season it and let it rest in the fridge for a couple days, but this is what I did. Any guess how it will turn out after the sear on my grill side burner? It will be ready in less than two hours from now as it was started 4 hrs ago.
If Casey isn't here right now, I'd appreciate the thoughts from any other Sous Vide experts also.

Sorry, I missed your PM and was gone for a while. I dry my sous vide meat if I am using the Searsall, which I did tonight. I don't think it will be that important on the 12K burner. It is more of a time thing with the Searsall -- it works faster with the meat dried. You should be fine either way.

I trust it turned out well. That is a long sous vide, but it sounds like you had a big cut of steak. I'm guessing it was big and thick enough to feed two -- pretty much a roast in size. It is virtually impossible to overcook sous vide steak.

CD

Well, just dumb luck I guess. I did not dry it off and felt like Wilma Flinstone with all the fabulous fire. Fred should have been impressed!
I just loved every second of it. Yabba dabba doo..that hunk of meat was perfection!
P3250084_1.jpg

Sorry, I missed your PM and was gone for a while. I dry my sous vide meat if I am using the Searsall, which I did tonight. I don't think it will be that important on the 12K burner. It is more of a time thing with the Searsall -- it works faster with the meat dried. You should be fine either way.

I trust it turned out well. That is a long sous vide, but it sounds like you had a big cut of steak. I'm guessing it was big and thick enough to feed two -- pretty much a roast in size. It is virtually impossible to overcook sous vide steak.

CD

Thanks again Casey. Yep it was 2.4oz. so there's enough leftover to leave us happy. Gosh it was good. The cook gets the bone...only fair I think. ;)

Thanks again Casey. Yep it was 2.4oz. so there's enough leftover to leave us happy. Gosh it was good. The cook gets the bone...only fair I think. ;)

I'm going to guess you meant 24oz. That is a Flinstonian steak. I'm glad it came out great. I kinda' knew it would. The flame show makes it that much better. As they say, we eat with our eyes, first.

I didn't finish mine, either. It was 16oz. Too much for me at my age. Psycho-poodle got some fatty scraps with his kibble tonight, and if he is really good, I may let him chew the meat off the bone. Maybe. I may chew the meat off the bone and give him a Pupperoni. He'll get over it. ;)

CD

Last edited:
...I'm accustomed to earlier meals, etc.. Eating at 7 or 8PM is not my cup of tea...
I'd welcome dinner at those hours. Himself worked 4:00 PM to midnight for a number of years before he was laid off, so I got into a habit of having dinner done by about 10:00 PM, eating then, and staying up to visit with Himself when he came home and ate. We'd watch the rerun of the evening news on one of the local stations. By the time we were ready for bed, it was around 3 or 4 in the morning. All these years later after his last day of work, we still pretty much keep to that schedule. It may not work for anyone else, but we've been OK with it. Eventually we might become more of a daytime people - it's easy to get up early when we're with the kids or on vacation somewhere. Here? This schedule works for us for now. But I'm going to try to have dinner ready between 7 and 8 from now on whether or not Himself is ready to eat. :LOL:

I'd welcome dinner at those hours. Himself worked 4:00 PM to midnight for a number of years before he was laid off, so I got into a habit of having dinner done by about 10:00 PM, eating then, and staying up to visit with Himself when he came home and ate. We'd watch the rerun of the evening news on one of the local stations. By the time we were ready for bed, it was around 3 or 4 in the morning. All these years later after his last day of work, we still pretty much keep to that schedule. It may not work for anyone else, but we've been OK with it. Eventually we might become more of a daytime people - it's easy to get up early when we're with the kids or on vacation somewhere. Here? This schedule works for us for now. But I'm going to try to have dinner ready between 7 and 8 from now on whether or not Himself is ready to eat. :LOL:

How many years ago was that routine CG? There's no real need to abide by the dark now.
"Let the Sun Shine In" :flowers:

Oh my gosh!
DH worked a rotating 10 hours shift
There was NEVER a regular dinner hour for us where we both sat down at the table together for, um, gee, 20 years ??
When I came home from work myself, I'd make breakfast & lunch for the next day and dinner for us; when I got hungry, I'd eat.
DH would come home when he could to eat and rest a bit and off he'd go again. My friends would ask me, how do you deal with it, you just do.

Back
Top Bottom