Pantry staples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
What do you keep in your pantry, come he... or high water, that others might not consider a necessity. Not looking for weird stuff here, just what you would never do without. For example, for me it is angel hair pasta and olive oil, Lipton's chicken soup. There are probably a few more. What are your personal favorites?

Angel Hair Pasta, good one!!! Dad's favorite. :)
Olive Oil is essential

Poland Spring Water
Rice
Canned Crushed Tomatoes
Tomato Paste
Dishwashing Liquid
Various pastas

I should point out before starting my list that I carry as standard a HUGE store cupboard. Goes back to the years of being a temp and didn't know how much I would get in any given week. Maybe in another life I was a boy scout!! This is just the basic unopened edible stuff.

Yeah I always have Angel hair pasta or similar, as well as fettucine or tagliatelle, canneloni and lasanga sheets. Oh and a shape like spirals.

Rice, cous cous and corn chips

Canned tomatoes (whole and crushed/peeled), beetroot, pineapple, mushrooms in butter sauce and champignons, tuna, salmon, anchovies, ham, and a dessert fruit

A couple of ready to heat meals like baked beans, steak and kidney pie, that sort of stuff as well as various soups

An oil of some sort

A jam or marmalade and some savoury spread

Jelly crystals

Various sauces like Worcestershire, taco and tomato

Water, long-life fruit juices, and cool drink

Then into the opened stuff, you will always find:

Herbs, spices and other seasonings and sauces, oils and vinegars

Rice, flour and sugars

Powdered drink mixes and cordials, teas and coffees

Now if I was to do a real stocktake and went past my essentials, you may as well all go home and come back another day to see if I had finished yet!! I can go quite a long time without buying anything more than fresh milk, bread and veges!! Oh and please don't ask me about my fridge/freezer contents!!

Besides the usual suspects my unusaal basics would be:

balsamic vinegar.

A favourite store bought spicey dressing

Because DH travels a lot and we used to weekly commute we knew that the store cupboard had to perk up at least a meal a week. A packet of any veg grabbed on route becomes crudit with balsamic, or a cheese on toast is a delight with it, and I even eat brown rice happily with either balsamic or my favourite dressing. Said dressing is marketed as 'Spicey Seafood dressing' as in for sea food not seafood flavoured, its chili, orange and sugar based and its great on rice, noodles, salad, chicken...etc etc etc!

:)What do I not have.Living 45 miles from town Im very well stocked up.Im the go to girl on the ranch if somebody needs something from saurkraut to fish sauce just about any vinegar you can think of and so on.

Gosh our pantry looks like Fibber Magee's closet (sorry, am showing my age).

But I could not live without Worcestershire sauce.

Oh yeah, and hot sauces.

Weirdest thing in my pantry: A map. We have a walk-in pantry and if everything isn't kept just supremely organized, nothing ever gets found.

In terms of "weird" foodstuffs that I must have on hand at all times in my pantry: A bottle of Patron, a bottle of Remy Martin XO champagne cognac (yes, both for cooking applications. The drinking stuff...well, stuff that's NOT only "mostly" for cooking, at any rate...is in the bar). Pomegranate molasses. And, of course, my exotic cheeses ([SIZE=-1]caciocavallo podolico, manchego, [/SIZE]Stravecchio Oro del Tempo, etc.). We had a quasi-fridge installed in there a couple of years ago to specifically store em.

Canned tomato... chunks, sauce, and paste

pasta of various kinds

stock when I don't have any fresh made

rice

cooking oils

potato

various condensed soups for cooking with

extracts

I can see where this list is gonna get lengthy... I'll leave it at that!

Our pantry looks a lot like Bilby's, sans jelly crystals...whatever they are and jp's, because of our distance to market.

I can't even begin to list how many different kinds of dried beans I have. Same for pastas. I have s wine rack that is filled with a vast array of bottles of vinegar. Dried herbs and spices out the wazoo.

Many kinds of canned goods, especially sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, chilies, pimientos, mushrooms, nuts.

We live nearly an hour from the nearest market, so I have to rely on canned goods (commercial and my own) and frozen foods. Perishable stores are quite limited.

Summertime is especially difficult because our house isn't air-conditioned, so things like onions and potatoes suffer.

Staples that many may not view as neccesary . . .

Quinoa and various grains, endless varieties of pasta (I know, pasta is a common staple, I have to have an ungodly variety), anchiote paste, Wondra, Ancho powder, Mexican oregano, sherry vinegar, fire-roasted tomatoes . . . to name a few.

Bilby, what are jelly crystals?
Jelly crystals are just packets of powdered jelly with flavours and colours that you just add boiling water to, pour into your moulds and stick in the fridge for a quick jelly. Most people use these instead of using gelatin leaves/powder. Only use those for fancy desserts or other recipes requiring gelatin. Two songs that every kid used to know growing up was the Vegemite jingle and the Aeroplane Jelly jingle.

Frog pond jellies were a favourite at birthday parties, get a lime flavoured jelly (which is coloured like lawn) and add a few freddo frogs into the mould and then you had chocolate frogs in the pond.

Aeroplane Jelly

Actually, jello sounds good right now. <heading to Bilby's house>

-- Gossie the Goose!! LoL

Back
Top Bottom