"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-24-2007, 02:42 PM   #11
My personal favorite party food is basically shrimps with cocktail sauce.

VIDEODROME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Head Chef
Another idea, our antipasto pasta salad always is a hit. Seems like a lot of ingredients but it is quick to put together, tastes better if made the day before, and you can change the ingredients if you wish. (I like tossing in some chopped green olives also, or salad olives I guess they are sometimes called. And prefer adding some of the jarred pimentos. I guess my point is that the recipe is very forgiving. Artichoke hearts from the can might be good.)

Antipasto Pasta Salad

1 pound pata, prefer a Rotelli or spiral type pasta because it holds the dressing so well. Can use other pasta, such as shells or elbows, your choice
1/4 - pound chunk of Genoa salami, chopped
1/4 pound chunk of pepperoni sausage, chopped
1/2 pound chunk of Asiago cheese, diced (Can substitute Fontina or Gruyere or Emmenthaler or Provolone)
1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese (If using parmesan cheese from the green can, please double the amount).
salt and ground black pepper to taste

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain, and cool under cold water.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, salami, pepperoni, Asiago cheese, black olives, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and tomatoes. Stir in the envelope of dressing mix. Cover, and refrigerate for at least one hour.
To prepare the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, parsley, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Just before serving, pour dressing over the salad, and mix well.

Just a thought. Enjoy.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM   #13
Sous Chef
Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while. I got busy with life.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

How many appetizers do you think are necessary? I was thinking 2 vegetarian, 2 meat... one hot and one cold of each... then I'm not sure from there. I think I should have a sweet appetizer even though there will be graduation cake.

I also need to do as much ahead of time as possible.

Well, any more thoughts are appreciated.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #14
Executive Chef
If its high school or college their taste buds for the most part are most likely junk food oriented. .So I would do hot wings with celery,carrots and blue cheese dip,nachos and salsa,pizza like YT talked about,maybe a cold cut and cheese platter with nice rolls and sides,a salad bar.Maybe tacos or frito pie, mini burgers.Melted Velveeta and salsa with chipsThings like that.
What age group are you talking about and how many?
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:22 PM   #15
Sous Chef
What jpmcgrew says--or just have pulled pork bbq.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote