"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-24-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Party food ideas needed

I need some ideas for a graduation party. I'm going to my nephew's graduation in May, and my sister has asked me to prepare the food.

She'd like hors d'oeuvres for the savory selections. They probably won't be passed, as it's going to be rather informal. I'd like to do some interesting things, but they are not very adventuresome. I'll also have just one standard oven, so things that can be eaten at room temperature might be best.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any threads you can point me to? There will be about 100 guests attending in an open house fashion.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Cook

Various dips and chips is easy because you can make them the day before. Example: Babaganouch, Tatziki, Hummus, Roasted garlic and cream cheese dip, Italian style tomato crostini dip, smoked salmon dip, Black bean salsa.........

For chips: Baguette croutons, tortilla chips, Pita chips - baked or fried.

Antipasto tray is also easy, because you can do it ahead. sliced meats, and cheese, marinated artichokes, olives, grilled asraragus, mushrooms, grilled scallions etc.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Executive Chef

More Greek appetizers for you to consider. Zucchini/pumpkin fritters with feta cheese, dolmades done with vine leaves or cabbage, spinach, chicken, leek, and pumpkin cheese pies.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
and Don`t forget the Cheese and Pineapple on the cocktail sticks!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Where will this be--Germany or US or somewhere else? What time of day? The reason I ask is that our kids graduate in the morning so a late morning/noon time food spread is what happens here. Others graduate at night so a different spread might be desired.
If it is near a traditional mealtime--and kids are going to be there--you may need to provide some things to make into sandwiches or the like.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Head Chef

Roasted duck wraps. Never fails to impress. I've served this to both Asians and Westerners. They love it.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Mini Pizzas are great too, but rather than make each tiny one on their own, buy a pack of the kid size mini pizzas, they`re about 5-6 inch dia, add a little extra cheese and when cooled cut into 4 slices, a pack of 6 will (making 24) will fill a plate :)

sausage rolls are good too (pigs in blankets) you can either buy the mini ones or the larger ones and cut them yourself, it`s a good idea to cater for any Vegetarians also, and buy the same in Cheese and Onion (that happened to me once) same for sandwitches make a veggy selection too.

better to play safe than get caught out as I did once :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks for the replies & ideas. It will in Terre Haute, In., US. My sis said that the party would be in the afternoon.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Head Chef

Would do a frittata or two, just use different ingredients. Make the day before and serve at room temp in slices. Each slice is very filling.

Or biscuits with ham slices. Prefer a country ham (always prefer a country ham) but any ham will do. If you want can serve with a bit of mustard on the side.

An antipasto platter, you can put anything you want on it. Rolled up salamis, roast beef (cut into po9rtions and stuck with a toothpick), other Italian (or not) cold cuts, cheese chunks, olives, artichoke hearts, whatever strikes your fancy.

All of these are make before dishes that can be transported easily.

Have a great time.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

Garbanzo Salad

Canned Garbanzo Beans or make your own
juice of several lemons
zest of the same lemons
garlic
salt, pepper
olive oil
lots of freshly chopped parsley

You can also add some bow tie pasta to it to make it into a past salad with garbanzo.

Stir and let the flavors marinate for several hours. This one will not go bad and can be left at room temperature for a long time

Mini Eggrolls

You can make them using square wonton wrappers. Stuff them with pre-cooked chicken and veggies, I fry mine ahead of times (I made these for a party of 75 people). You can freeze them nicely and then reheat them in a cookie sheet. Leaving them out and enjoying them at room temperature is not a problem

Mini Meatballs

I make mine seasoned with ginger, garlic, cumin and corrainder powder, jalapeno and lots of freshly chopped mint and cilantro. You can season them any way you want. You can bake them ahead of time and freeze. Reheat them, pierce a small toothpick in each and serve around a sweet dipping sauce

Simple Sandwiches

A simple sandwich with a flavored cream cheese spread, (so many ready made options available, like onion or dill) layered with fresh veggies (thinly sliced tomatoes and cucumbers). You can cut it into 4 and leave them out

Potato Tikkis are great but not sure if your audience would consider them too exotic.

You can boil potatoes and mash them
Season with cumin powder, cilantro, cayanne pepper and salt
Make small balls and pat them down a bit
Coat in semolina and pan fry
They taste very good served with some mint and yogurt dipping sauce

You can also use help from stores like SAMS. They sell items in bulk for large size parties. They have ready made guacamole if you want to use it for chips and dips. You can also buy assorted crackers and biscotti type cookies.