"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
What would be a good way to spice up olive oil if I just wanted to make that the sauce
Finely mince some garlic and let it soak in olive oil for an hour or so, it's amazingly good stuff. ;) I just make sure there's enough oil to cover the garlic so it's pretty potent but adding more oil obviously mellows the flavor.

Can easily make lemon infused olive oil too. I never make much, but generally use about a scant cup of olive oil and the zest of one lemon. Orange works just as well if you're feeling froggy. I use a micro-plane zester so I don't get any of the pith but can just peel the yellow part off with a sharp knife if you don't have one. Put it in a pan over medium-low heat until it gets thoroughly warmed through. Don't let it bubble, keep the heat lower than a simmer. It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. Let it cool. It's good in just about everything. ;)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
.... I use a micro-plane zester...
In my kitchen there are two kinds of tools: necessary (paring knife, cutting board) and fun (zester, Butter Bell). My microplane zesters have moved from "fun" to "necessary" based on the amount of times I reach for one. LOVE 'em!

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote