Patriot Day Dinner - 9/11/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Remembering those who lost their live 17 years ago today, as well as those who suffered in the aftermath.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Day

Taco Tuesday here tonight. Carnitas (I was chastised for calling it pork carnitas :) ), salsa, guac, and sour cream rolled up in a tortilla. I did the pork in the Instant Pot. The pressure cooker does a terrific job on the pork shoulder.

Pan seared chicken thighs, roasted potatoes and a spinach and mushroom salad with walnuts.

I'm making a double batch of Kalua Pig and Cabbage
with steamed white rice underneath.

002.JPG

I'll be taking the extra to my Dental Hygienist tomorrow...
her husband is from Hawaii (how's that?!! :ohmy:)
and he misses food from home (she doesn't cook :blink:)...
So, every time I have my teeth cleaned, I take
something for them to have for supper together and
talk about when they'll go back to visit.

I'm remembering my "cooking therapy" on this horrible night 17 yrs ago.Through the tears it calmed me as I reflected on all the folks who would never be home for dinner again. Sigh. Peace be to them all.

It's sure not soup weather tonight, but after all the soup talk I couldn't resist cranking up the AC for a pot of Zuppa Tuscana. It sure smells good and we'll have some Texas garlic toast too.

It's a really tough day for our best man and his wife. He was partnered with John Ogonowski, the pilot of the first plane, when the two of them were in the Air Force. Warm thoughts for anyone with a special connection to today.

Autumnal weather calls for comfort food. Everything went into the oven: ham, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, and redskin potato planks. Tasty eats.

IMG_20180911_195107290.jpg

I had a modified breakfast sandwich for dinner. I added some sliced onion, a couple of dabs of store bought aioli, deli American cheese, and a sprinkle of shichimi. And I used a hamburger bun instead of a croissant.

I was a flight attendant in 2001. I had just returned from an Amsterdam trip late the night before. I had pretty much passed out ten minutes after I got through the door. I don’t know what time (somewhere between the first and second plane) Mark woke me, practically shrieking. I thought it was a movie trailer at first.

I had FA friends who got stuck in Europe for almost two weeks. That may sound lovely, and it certainly isn’t on a par with the suffering that occurred that day, and for many days to come. It wasn’t lovely, although it was nothing, really, just a prolonged inconvenience. Still, given my situation at the time, their inconvenience was a thing for me.

I didn’t know anyone directly affected by the events on 9/11. But I still have a hard time viewing those images without crying. I’m reminded of being physically ill when our high school civics teacher showed the class a documentary about Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen. I had to leave the classroom.

Last edited:
Jeannie wanted tostados so I made a small batch of black bean refritos, thawed a package of premade taco burger, chopped veggies and we were good to go..

Made a peach compote to serve on angel food cake, along with a whipped cream topping for dessert..

Ross

Mom wanted cheese toast, so she got cheese toast. I thawed out a pre-made hamburger, put it in the frying pan with some sliced onions, made some gravy, and some steamed green beans and some garlic toast.

We have a bumper crop of green peppers this year. So I baked some green peppers stuffed with a little chopped zucchini, meatloaf recipe, topped with a sweet and sour tomato sauce.

Psycho-poodle was born on 9-11-2010, according to AKC records, so he is 8-years old as of yesterday. I had some bean, onion and cheese tacos -- veggie supper. Teddy got some cheese on his kibble for his birthday.

On 9-11-2001, I flew from LAX to DFW on the redeye, and got home around 2AM after a long week of work. I didn't know about the attacks until just after noon. I got up, made some coffee and checked my email... and WTF?

CD

You folks are making me hungry! I'm a little under the weather this week so hitting the easy button. We had leftover rotisserie chicken (store bought) and canned green beans. I had leftover buffalo sauce from some wings last week I poured over my chicken. It's a little embarrassing for a cooking site...but it was good and my sick rear-end didn't have to cook!

We bought a house and moved in August just before 911. I had scheduled hernia surgery for after the move. I was still recovering from the surgery so pretty much loafing around the house (the recovery time was NOT as fast as they told me) on 9/11. I had just turned on the news with some morning coffee and at that point the first plane had hit...news was not yet even sure how big the plane was.

Then of course the day unfolded as we watched in horror and fear. We had fighter jets ripping over us at treetop level. At first we didn't know if they were ours, "was the U.S. under attack by another country?". Then we began to realize they were likely our fighters and then it was like "go get 'em!" Knowing we had top notch fighters in the sky. All day, just wondering if something was going to crash nearby or on us...thinking "it looks like they are only targeting cities"...then flight 93 was starting to be reported as crashed in the countryside...yep, a rural location was also not safe!

We had moved as I said, to a place where we knew no one. I had quit my job and established a business at the same time we moved...it was very hard to try to sell work for at least 6-12 months...not many people were interested in new business, let alone with a stranger. It was tough times, but nothing like what others went through that were directly impacted by these plane crashes. It was a very patriotic time though...that felt good, I wish we could see each other as just Americans (for U.S. members here) again like we did then. We didn't hate each other just because of politics. That didn't last long...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom