Patriot Day Dinner - Monday, 9/11/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
So my dinner isn't exactly red, white, and blue. It's more Italian themed colors. I had a big bowl of garden tomatoes on the counter that needed to be used up, so I made Tomato Basil Soup. I had a salad, too.

uhYUGBJ.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, you picked the one day in weeks that I've wanted to turn the AC on to make soup. It looks mighty fine.

I'm grilling some herbed bone in chicken breasts and having leftover scalloped potatoes. I should make another veggie, but I think I will just carve up a garden tomato and a few slices cucumber. They're pretty good just as they are.

Browned chicken thighs, then baked to proper temp.. Then basted with a thick Asian sauce, much as if it was BBQ sauce, then baked a few more minutes.. Sides of butter/garlic mashed potatoes and steamed corn..

Baked a single layer vanilla/white cake with cream cheese frosting for dessert..

Ross

I have planned Beef Fajitas and Mexican Rice for tonight.

Steve, you picked the one day in weeks that I've wanted to turn the AC on to make soup. It looks mighty fine.

I'm grilling some herbed bone in chicken breasts and having leftover scalloped potatoes. I should make another veggie, but I think I will just carve up a garden tomato and a few slices cucumber. They're pretty good just as they are.

I know what you mean, Whiska! It was H-O-T here today. I normally wait until it's a little cooler weather for soup, but it's the best way I know of to get rid of a dozen overly ripe tomatoes.

Last edited:
We had mojo marinated chicken thighs kind of braised with carrots, plus black beans and rice. Craig was going to grill the chicken and set the weber up fairly far away from the hotel building, but was told he had to move further away, so we switched to sort of braising. Back home tomorrow. Don't know what kind of cell or hotspot service we'll have. He got "emergency calls only" when he was there this morning, which is weird since we are in a city. Maybe they lost a tower covering our area?

Our curly tail "pet" met him this morning looking for food. BTW, there are babies running around as of a couple weeks ago, so guess she laid eggs a while back. They have quickly learned, just like mama, that we provide food.

Last edited:
Steve...your soup looks so deliciously rich and flavorful. Homemade tomato soup will be on the menu here very soon, as it's finally cooling down enough.

Looks good, MsM! Everyone's dinners sound wonderful. :yum:

Rainy day today, so I stayed inside and cleaned out the fridge. This afternoon's "dinner" was an odd combination of several little things. Good, though. :LOL:

We had mojo marinated chicken thighs kind of braised with carrots, plus black beans and rice. Craig was going to grill the chicken and set the weber up fairly far away from the hotel building, but was told he had to move further away, so we switched to sort of braising. Back home tomorrow. Don't know what kind of cell or hotspot service we'll have. He got "emergency calls only" when he was there this morning, which is weird since we are in a city. Maybe they lost a tower covering our area?

Our curly tail "pet" met him this morning looking for food. BTW, there are babies running around as of a couple weeks ago, so guess she laid eggs a while back. They have quickly learned, just like mama, that we provide food.

Glad to hear the Weber was part of your bug-out necessities, Med! :chef: Darn those hotels for not allowing grilling on site. :ermm: :LOL:

I truly meant this in kind hearted jest. In all seriousness, I'm glad you dodged the bullet and are OK. As far as the aftermath though, it looks like it's going to be a good long while before things are back to normal. Take care and I wish you, Craig, your family, and all who have been affected by this, as quick a recovery as can be expected. :wub:

So far, it has been a Meatless Monday. I've been grazing all day, with bagels in the morning to fresh fruits and pasta salad throughout the day.

I sold my Treager (good riddance) and bought a used Weber Genesis gas grill this weekend, and ordered some new cooking grates that will arrive Wednesday. I love Weber's customer service. Open 7 days a week, and delivery to my door in 3 days.

So, on Wednesday or Thursday, my dinner menu should be something grilled.

CD

Himself grilled burgers on Loverly's gas grill, then melted cheese on top a few. I popped some potato crowns into the over, then got the mayo/mustards/ketchup out of the fridge. Buns were pre-sliced, lettuce was already washed. Couldn't get a much lazier supper to make today.

I woke up with a splitting headache this afternoon while DW was making buffalo burgers and crinkle cut fries, so I passed on dinner.

I rarely get headaches. I doubt I've had even 2 dozen or so in my entire lifetime, so I'm really out of it when I get one. The burgers smelled good, though.

Then it was back to school night to meet my son's new teachers. In his S.T.E.M. class, the teacher asked the parents if anyone knew the circumference of the Earth, or a way to figure it out. I was the only one who knew. Doesn't anyone else watch PBS, The Discovery Channel, or any science shows?

The Monseigneur was sitting in the back of that classroom, so I think some parents were afraid to answer if they might be wrong. You could feel the tension in the air before I spoke up.

Anyway, when I gave the answer and how to calculate it, the teacher asked me how I knew. I of course answered, "Catholic school."

The Monseigneur let out a big laugh, patted me on the back, then went on to the next classroom.

When DW an I got home, I told my boy that story, and he just said, "Oh, great. Now I have to follow that up tomorrow and be all smart and stuff."

It was too late to eat, so I rushed into work. My headache finally went away, and now I'm starving. I think a trip to the diner on the way home is in order. I'm craving turkey, stuffing, gravy, and cranberry sauce.

So far, it has been a Meatless Monday. I've been grazing all day, with bagels in the morning to fresh fruits and pasta salad throughout the day.

I sold my Treager (good riddance) and bought a used Weber Genesis gas grill this weekend, and ordered some new cooking grates that will arrive Wednesday. I love Weber's customer service. Open 7 days a week, and delivery to my door in 3 days.

So, on Wednesday or Thursday, my dinner menu should be something grilled.

CD

Casey - I too am hooked on Weber. They are not cheap but worth it without a doubt.

We had breakfast for supper last night - roasted potatoes & onions, polish kielbasa, sliced cucumbers & tomatoes. Pumpkin roll for dessert last night.

Glad to hear the Weber was part of your bug-out necessities, Med! :chef: Darn those hotels for not allowing grilling on site. :ermm: :LOL:

I truly meant this in kind hearted jest. In all seriousness, I'm glad you dodged the bullet and are OK. As far as the aftermath though, it looks like it's going to be a good long while before things are back to normal. Take care and I wish you, Craig, your family, and all who have been affected by this, as quick a recovery as can be expected. :wub:

Hey now, that's what we cooked with after Andrew :LOL: he had just bought a bunch of charcoal over labor day. Didn't know what we'd come back to. Thanks for we'll wishes!

We went to the Spaghetti Factory for dinner last night for birthday dinner number 2 for my MIL. I had vegetarian lasagna and it was okay, but too much green pepper and not enough mushroom for me.

Well, as long as the thread is still up.....I had an impossible time making a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich for lunch yesterday, so I ended up hungry again by 4pm. So I made a dozen garlic cheddar biscuits to tide me over to supper and - there is no way to say this nicely - I inhaled all of them.

Needless to say, my dinner that evening was only a frozen plum and I ate that finally at about 10pm. Well, eating that many biscuits at one time will fill you up like that. Remind me not to ever do it again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom