Personal Chefs--Your Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Hi all--I'm just curious to hear some opinions about personal chefs and personal chef training programs. Do you find in your communities that there's a large demand for the service and an availability of personal chefs to fill those needs? Out of curiosity I started looking at some of the training programs out there and was taken aback at how much they cost--they didn't seem that stellar for what they charge (yes, I'm probably naïve!). What do you think?

lmj, what's an f1 paddock? btw, is your avatar a turkey with a bowler hat? hard for me to see it.

I'm not a racing fan by any stretch, but my maiden name is MacLaren. I think the F1 Paddock statement refers to the "paddock" where the cars and mechanics at races are located and where only the ultra-rich/elite people are allowed entrance. The common folk are relegated to the grandstands. "Paddock" is also used in horse racing and, again, only the beautiful people gain entrance under normal circumstances.

hmmm my friend had two personal chefs in their family. I think the area of higher money have personal chefs. I live in an area that the average salary is 100K a year, but it all balances out cause there is the middle income here too and the really relaly relaly rich ppl.

I think any good culinary school would teach you all the skills a personal chef would want or need - and more. Really, how many ways are there to slice that onion (sniff, sniff)?

I've always wanted to take a cooking class at my local college, however, when they were available I wasn't. The class fees are very reasonable.
They mainly have a japanese class. I would love it if they offered an Italian class.....I'd def. find time for that one.

In the meantime any Italian cooks out there who want to teach me....... :D

SizzlininIN

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif

IMHO, the personal chef 'training programs' are a ripoff. If you don't have good basic cooking and food service skills, don't go there. You will NOT be taught how to cook, you will be given business plans on how to make money, and lots of 'assignments' you have to complete yourself, w/o much 'class' time. This from a good friend of mine who did go.

Personal chefs are more and more in demand, not only for the 'other side', but for homes where both spouses work, and want a 'table' ready meal when they get home; for invalids; for new moms (what a great baby present that is!); or for folks who want to hire out for a party.

I think the idea is great, there is a lot of money to be made - again, if you have the cooking, food safety/service knowledge down pat. The down side is schlepping all your gear to another's house, spending lots of time shopping, and (this is true) getting calls in the middle of the night saying things like "I reheated it just like you said, (hah!), and it didn't turn out right".

i believe a personal chef is also like cooking for your own family if they love it cook some more. and a plus is your cooking for money too

I have never had any formal training but I have had offers to cook for families for money. I wish I had gone to Cukinary Arts School. We have a very good program here.

I hired a personal chef for my parents. It is a gift that all their kids chip in for instead of buying them a bunch of crap for their birthdays and Christmas. They LOVE her.

She creates masterpieces from things that scare me. My mom's freezer is a frightening place and this woman comes in...roots around in there and makes absolute masterpieces. She made a mushroom soup that made me think I had died and gone to heaven.

I don't see how you can get rich being a personal chef, nor can I see it being a career for a person who wants children.

Psiguyy said:
I don't see how you can get rich being a personal chef, nor can I see it being a career for a person who wants children.

Not everyone wants to get rich. Life is too short to be attached to a ball and chain, no matter how attractively wrapped. I recently left a job that paid very well at a company I'd been with for almost 25 years - best thing I've done lately.

No more pantyhose, getting up at dawn for a 40-mile drive in heavy traffic, meeting deadlines, dealing with egos, blabbity blah blah. Living that life meant my kid ate a lot of junk for dinner because I was too tired to make much of an effort each night, barked at her instead of talking to her, spent the entire weekend doing housework when I wasn't doing even more "work" work at home. Wow, I am so much nicer to be around now.

mudbug, all well and good, but what do you do when you're 70? Is your IRA (if it doesn't take a big hit in the market) and Social Security (if it's not bankrupt by then) going to be enough to survive on in your retirement years? Will it be possible for you to retire or will you have to become a greeter at Walmart?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom