"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-09-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
Executive Chef

My sentiments too, Beth.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #22
Executive Chef

well, here's a stab at the photo essay exercise, from my kitchen. I don't think I can do it for a weeks worth of foods, but what I have photographed, is definitely representative of the foods i cook with. Starting with the spinach, clockwise, is 2 gal milk, 1/2 gallon yogurt, oats (for breakfasts). the ricotta cheese mixture to be used for the pizza, crust in center of photo, raspberries, frozen pesto, smoked turkey, and the 2 pounds of pork chops i will cook tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foods3 (2).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	2773  

Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Americans eat quite a bit of junk....and wonder why we have obesity problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep disorders, etc....

An essay like this could be a wake up call if you let it. Lots of packaged foods, and very little produce. The idea that it's simply easire to open a package of something carries little weight with me. You really can prepare a decent healthy meal in 30 minutes. You can buy precut vegetables, precut meat. There are a myriad of things that can be done with fresh or even frozen fresh products. Low school budgets cut the Home Ec class from almost the entire country's school systems. If ever there was a need to reintroduce the idea of teaching kids how to cook, it's now.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
Head Chef

Hi GB thanks for posting this, it is very interesting.

I actually disagree that only American's eat a lot of junk. Perhaps the fast food,chips and soda culture started here but now it has made it all accross the globe. Last year I was in India and also in Eygpt (Cairo and other places) and I was surprised how the children and teen culture (heck even adult culture) is adopting not the Western ways but the American way.

In India for example people eat out more and kids and adults love to eat Mcdonalds, KFC, Pizzahut and you get the point. Soda cans and bottles are almost in all homes (we are talking lower middle to upper class). Kids love to guzzle down soda's.

My kids would be surprised when they visit there. My house has only soda cans for visiting guests. My kids drink milk, water and OJ if they need something sweet. We seldom eat fast food and when we eat out we always explain to our kids the importance of chosing healthy foods - fruits, veggies, lean meats etc.

I personally think that more and more American's are getting health concious and hopefully just like the junk culture this can be passed to other parts of the world.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:47 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

i find something in the observation you've just made about americans very interesting, yakuta.

westernization, or americanization is not an insidious plot by us to infect or overthrow the world, as it's often seen by the rest of the world.
it's just convenient, while having enough taste, often salt or sugar, to satisfy. that's why it "infects" other cultures. it's human nature. americans are not much more than a collection of the rest of the world.

accordingly, i hope the recent healthier eating habits of americans follows that course as well.

and i think verablue's been watching rachel ray a little too much lately... (hee hee)

oh, beth, one of the middle eastern families ate a lot of eggs.

edited to add: photo essays can be dangerous. even more powerful than the written word, seeing something in pictures or in print tends to put a firm idea in your mind that might not be representative of a more truthful viewpoint.
i mean, c'mon. are they all being truthful? cara's horse drinks more beer than the german family displayed...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom

and i think verablue's been watching rachel ray a little too much lately... (hee hee)

HA! I wouldn't watch that twit even with a large caliber weapon pointed at my head!

Hey, you...happy father's day!
Old 06-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #27
Master Chef

I already posted that, GB.

Hungry Planet Gallery
Old 06-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer

Looks like I beat you to the punch though Constance. You posted it yesterday, but I posted it on 6/8. I guess great minds think alike
Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #29
Master Chef

I stand corrected, GB. I just hadn't seen yours.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Thats not all beer on the German table they also drink alot of bottled fruit juice and mineral water.In fact alot of them dont drink tap water as they say its contaminated.When I was in Germany it was almost imposslble to just get a glass of ice water they looked at me like I was completly out of my mind and when I did get it would have 1 ice cube.They drink everything without ice even McDonalds serves their softdrinks without ice.Hard for me because I love ice in everything I drink except coffee