Pi Day Dinner - 3/14/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are having the corned beef with taters, carrots and a quarter piece of the cabbage for me. I like to have turnip also with mine, but forgot to get it when I went shopping. Then I want to cook the blueberry pie filling.

My granddaughter brought me a five pound bag of Maine Wild Blueberries. I am in heaven.

I completely did not notice pi day coming. I need to stop at the store and get some pastry dough and make a meat "pi." Thanks for the reminder, tenspeed.

Remind me when April 20 gets here, so I remember to bake some brownies. :chef:

CD

I am making a corned beef dinner. It goes on the stove soon. potatoes, carrots, onions and sprouts go in later.

tenspeed, now I want pie! :yum:

Corned beef here, too, today. With four of them in the house, I didn't want to wait until Friday.

I did simmer the meat with an onion yesterday till almost done. It was a preemptive move in case the power went out today. ;) It's been in it's juices in the garage since then. I'm bringing it in soon, I'll warm it up a bit and remove the meat, then cover and finish it off in the oven while I cook up the veggies in the broth - lots of carrots, a few small potatoes, and the standard cabbage chunks.

Andy, I've never tried it with Brussels sprouts. I bet they're yummy done that way!

Poor DH. I do not like corned beef or cabbage (except for cole slaw, which is required for pork barbecue ;) ), so I never make them. I may surprise him and buy some corned beef at the good butcher and make him a sandwich this weekend.

For tonight, though - Happy Pi Day! - I decided to make chicken pot pie for the first time. I can't find a recipe I like, so I'm going to wing it. I roasted two bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts yesterday, so now I'm slicing and dicing the chicken and veggies (plus garden peas from the freezer). I made chicken stock a few days ago, so I'll use that and a splash of half and half for the gravy. We'll see how it goes! [emoji2]

Ykies...Brussel Sprouts instead of cabbage???

img_1502707_0_905fdafe6a6ab9256e8d2bedc31118c7.gif

Tuesday 3/14/17 what's on the dinner menu?

I made some sizzling chicken fajitas. I really cranked up the heat on the cast iron skillet to give the chicken, peppers, and red onions a nice char. Served on flour tortillas.

I should buy some decent fajita seasoning. This packet stuff isn't that good. I only used half of the chicken, so we have some left for another meal.

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
For Pi day we are having cheddar/ onion/artichoke quiche cups (in muffin tins). I've made these before.

And a new salad. Spinach, red grapes ( the grapes in the store were on steroids, huge, so grape halves, snipped dates and blue cheese (gorgonzola) with a simple red wine vinaigrette. I was paging thru Food 52 or Food Gawker a while back and saw this. Didn't copy the recipe and now it looks like it needs something crisp in it like toasted walnuts. About the best I can do is add a few cucumber slices. I like the idea of adding dates.

I made sizzling chicken fajitas in the cast iron skillet -- really cranked up the heat to get a nice char.

I need to buy some decent fajita seasoning. This packet stuff is not that good.

Attachments

• dinner.jpg
    dinner.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 110
I bought a 6-pack of chicken legs at the store, and baked them up. The price for the package was $2.36. I ate 3 of them, and have 3 left for tomorrow. Other than eggs, this has got to be one of the cheapest meals out there.

That's alot of Corned Beef goin on!
It was Taco Tuesday here in the middle of the desert...
taco tuesday.jpg
DH's plate of Pollo and Carne Asada

taco tuesday1.jpg
my plate of Pastor and Camaron

We tried a different restaurant here in our new neighborhood; I found it wonderful, fresh housemade tortillas. We chose flour over corn, AND they have a Salsa bar, with the works! DH wasn't impressed, oh well, it was TJ's mini pizzas when we got home for him :shock: :ermm: :LOL:

I do not like corned beef or cabbage (except for cole slaw, which is required for pork barbecue ;) ), so I never make them. [emoji2]

So, it's not just me. My parents love corned beef and cabbage. It does nothing for me. But, I love a good slaw.

CD

Ykies...Brussel Sprouts instead of cabbage???

img_1502741_0_905fdafe6a6ab9256e8d2bedc31118c7.gif

Brussel sprouts are great, and awful, depending how they are cooked. I slice them in half and cook them in bacon fat, and combine them with the cooked bacon. Almost everything is better with bacon, but b-sprouts really work with bacon, IMO.

CD

Casey, shred them and saute in bacon gold or butter. Delicious! On occasion, I'll sit at my little work table in the kitchen with the TV going and pull the individual leaves off the heads until they get too small. Those little petals seem to be extra-good. Probably because of the time it took! :LOL:

To me it's just another form of cabbage that's easier to process.
Himself wondered if that "processed" applied to preparing them, or after-the-fact. :ermm: :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom