Pi Day Dinner - 3/14/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We like our Brussel Sprouts pulled apart :ohmy:

brussel sprouts our wway.jpg

I take off the outer, more tender leafs and leave the more bitter inner bit..
a quick saute to a crisp-tender in olive oil, garlic, S&P and Bob's Your Uncle!

I sequestered myself in my room because of my head cold--don't want to expose Mom to it. I did, however, thaw ground beef for my Dad to make meatloaf, which he did manage to do. I think he served it with mixed vegs and a tossed salad for him, fruit for Mom. She can only have a limited amount of greens because of her meds. Hopefully there is enough left for leftovers Wednesday.

Pulled from the freezer the other half of my copycat Macaroni Grill lasagne with pepperoni, g. beef, Italian sausage, provolone, moz, parm, ricotta layers.

I made sizzling chicken fajitas in the cast iron skillet -- really cranked up the heat to get a nice char.

I need to buy some decent fajita seasoning. This packet stuff is not that good.

I make a marinade with:

Chopped onion

2-3 cloves garlic

Fresh lime juice

Hand full of cilantro

Freshly toasted and ground cumin seeds

Agave syrup

Some form of chili (I might use fresh poblano, chipotle in adobo, reconstituted dried chili, pure chili powder or a chili powder mix.)

Oregano (preferable Mexican)

Olive oil

S&P

And the secret ingredient! Silver tequila!

I don't measure, I rely on experience from making it often. Everything gets blitzed in the blender or food processor. I use this for both chicken and beef. Sometimes I'll sub fresh sour orange juice for the lime juice. Once I remove the meat, I will use the marinade as a sauce/glaze by bringing it to a boil in a sauce pan and then on a low simmer to reduce. You can adjust the ingredients to your liking, including the chilis to what ever heat level you like. Add or remove ingredients to make it your own.;)

Last edited:
Ham and cheese rollups in tortillas due to power outage. High winds took out a big pine tree (must be 60 - 70 feet) yesterday afternoon and put it across the wires. Power restored around 11:00 PM.

... For tonight, though - Happy Pi Day! - I decided to make chicken pot pie for the first time. I can't find a recipe I like, so I'm going to wing it. I roasted two bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts yesterday, so now I'm slicing and dicing the chicken and veggies (plus garden peas from the freezer). I made chicken stock a few days ago, so I'll use that and a splash of half and half for the gravy. We'll see how it goes! [emoji2]

Chicken Pot Pi!
2017-03-14-19-10-56.jpg
0314171952_HDR.jpg
0314172001a_HDR.jpg

I had this for dinner on pi day.
32398_510204369000579_1389157728_n.jpg

Kidding - just something I found on the 'webs a few years ago and thought it was cute. :LOL:

With all the recent talk about meatballs, I made up a batch yesterday for the freezer. I had about 2 lbs. of ground beef and almost a lb. of ground pork, so I mushed those together and added an egg, fresh bread crumbs in a little milk, onions, garlic, seasonings, and roasted them up. I kept out a few for a meatball sub for dinner last night with potato salad and a few dill spears.

Great looking pics, all! :yum: GG...OMGosh your pot 'pi' looks wonderful.

I had this for dinner on pi day.
View attachment 26417

Kidding - just something I found on the 'webs a few years ago and thought it was cute. [emoji38]

With all the recent talk about meatballs, I made up a batch yesterday for the freezer. I had about 2 lbs. of ground beef and almost a lb. of ground pork, so I mushed those together and added an egg, fresh bread crumbs in a little milk, onions, garlic, seasonings, and roasted them up. I kept out a few for a meatball sub for dinner last night with potato salad and a few dill spears.

Great looking pics, all! :yum: GG...OMGosh your pot 'pi' looks wonderful.
CHER-YYYYLLLL! Now I'm craving meatballs, too, but I have no room in the freezer! Argh!

Thank you re the pot pie ;) Yummy! :yum:

Back
Top Bottom