"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 07-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Head Chef

I worked for a brief time at a Tyson chicken plant--the feet were packed up and sent to China.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
Executive Chef

old enough to have had parents who came from families who raised and butchered their own chickens. (you really can't do that anymore in small towns in the US there are ordinances against raising livestock of any type) Also mom's family was recently enough from Europe that we were a make it at home, cook together, nothing goes to waste family.

Love all the nasty bits! Luckily I can still get lamb necks for my stews and curries and have a ready supply of goat here in PA.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

I would not eat chicken feet, but would use them in cooing. The produce a lot of glue like substance that is used for jello like dishes. Same with cow or pig feet.

P.S. What is offal?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Charlie offal is the general name for organs and other "stuff" inside the animal.
You know, wonderful things like liver, kidneys,stomack, lungs etc.

By the way, how come one can not buy lungs in the US?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thank you. Not sure about lungs. But in all the truth all the organ meats is not good for you, too much cholesterol, I used to love it, still do, but do not cook any.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
Charlie offal is the general name for organs and other "stuff" inside the animal.
You know, wonderful things like liver, kidneys,stomack, lungs etc.

By the way, how come one can not buy lungs in the US?
I think if you take a careful look at the contents of some frozen 'all beef' hamburger patties you'll see some interesting stuff- like noses and lungs.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitmondol
I was reading posts on another forum and so many people stated that they would rather die than eat any of those.
That made me wonder how everybody here feels about these?
I'm also curious what happens with those parts of the animals in the US?
Couldn't find chicken feet anywhere except Chinatown.
Where I come from every bit of an animal is used. Nothing goes to waste.
So is it a sign of wealth that ppl here do not want to eat those parts?
I don't think it's a sign of wealth. It's a sign of not having been exposed to them. A&P and Jewel don't include the feet in with the chicken parts, etc. Altho every soup maker knows the chicken feet add amazing depth of flavor and gelatin to chicken soup. We can get them easily in Chinatown, or from a farmer at the Greenmarket. Many other parts are not so easy to come by. Many of them are used for dog and cat food, and are rarely offered to the retail customer.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Master Chef

Pickled pigs feet are one of my favorites!! While I don't make them myself, I find it unfortunate that these days I only find one brand - Hormel - in the markets, where years ago, growing up in NY, there were several brands & jar sizes to choose from.

As far as other offal or "specialty" meats, as they are sometimes politely called, I also like chicken liver, pork liver, beef kidneys, & lamb kidneys. Brains & sweetbreads are both items that I've never had, having a hard time getting past the visual/textural thing.

And while I've never had chicken or ducks feet, I do remember my grandparents buying them all the time for soup.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM   #19
Senior Cook

When I was in Jamaica several years ago they had chicken feet and all sorts of other interesting things at their farmers market. I had soup made with the feet and it was great. I was lucky enough to stay in a private home that had local cooks come in and prepare the meals and everything they made was incredible. I have wanted aki and onions ever since, but I have never seen them here, the avacados from the tree in the yard and the pumpkin soup were the best I have ever, ever had. I wish we had more interesting and diverse foods to select from, but when there is little demand there is little supply.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Would seem conceptually that an argument could be made as to the undesirability of consuming organs that perform a waste / toxin removal function.