"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

#1 - 5 meals a week, on average. Usually, I'm the one cooking.

#2 - I'm of mixed feelings about this. Basically, this stems from a long-running frustration with home wraps, where the "blade" is on the bottom corner, instead of the top. This creates a big hassle for me trying to dispense the wrap, as I'm "spoiled" by the large rolls of commercial wrap that I use at the places I work.

Space is not an issue for me right now, but I have lived in many places where space was an issue. So, putting a dispenser into a drawer or cabinet is a plus. I would also like to see a dispenser that can accept any roll of home-use wrap. Most rolls are the same length, and diameter doesn't vary that much, so it should be easy. I would also like to see a dispenser with suction cup feet, for stability. I also wouldn't want to spend much on it, $10 or less.

And while it sounds like a nifty, gee-whiz gadget that I would just have to have for my kitchen, I would also have to realize that I usually only use the plastic wrap maybe twice a week, so I probably wouldn't buy it.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #12
Cook

thanks feedback, keep it comming.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

1. 6

2. Sorry but its not something I would buy but I'm sure there are others that would. I remember my parents having something that hung on the wall at our campground trailer that had inserts where you put the aluminum foil, plasitc wrap and something else....I think its a vintage piece now

NOTE: I think whoever invented the plastic wrap had it in for someone........I truely do.........I struggle and struggle with that stuff and off in the faint distance I hear someone giggling at me
Old 02-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcameron
I have used the cheesy home-style plastic wrap in disposible box with great frustration, Now I use a commercial box that I got at sam's and it is perfect.

Homework assignment for Marketing, I appreciate any input, thanks.

My product idea is a refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll.
Actually- how many days a week I cook, or how many meals a week I prepare, has no direct correlation with how much plastic wrap I use.

There are already hard plastic containers that do what you want to accomplish - usually accommodating 2 or 3 rolls of "stuff" (aluminum foil, wax paper, plastic wrap) - but they are "space saving" and hang on a cabinet door ... not sit on a counter which would be a space waster.

Another thing to consider ... bulk packaging is cheaper - that is why one roll with "5,000 miles" of plastic wrap is significantly cheaper than 5,000 rolls of 1-mile plastic wrap ... packaging costs.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
There are already hard plastic containers that do what you want to accomplish - usually accommodating 2 or 3 rolls of "stuff" (aluminum foil, wax paper, plastic wrap) - but they are "space saving" and hang on a cabinet door ... not sit on a counter which would be a space waster.

Another thing to consider ... bulk packaging is cheaper - that is why one roll with "5,000 miles" of plastic wrap is significantly cheaper than 5,000 rolls of 1-mile plastic wrap ... packaging costs.
Please read the initial post before replying with your opinion on irrelevant tangential topics.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Cook

Given the limited thought and consideration that appear to have gone into the original post, there are numerous 'tangential' topics that would, to me, seem to be not only relevant, but key to providing useful critical thought to the subject.

The product described:
Quote:
refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll.
and the one required parameter:
Quote:
>>>>>>SO IT WILL FIT IN A DRAWER..<<<<<<
appear to me to be an inherently flawed combination.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #17
Cook

Do you cook at home? Would you be interested in a very convenient plastic wrap dispenser that stays put on your countertop, and allows you two free hands to wrap the product?

In addition, It would store in a drawer.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

Sorry elcameron - didn't mean to tangetize. Let me try to answer your questions again without explanation or qualification:

Question 1: 7
Question 2: Would not
Old 02-16-2007, 06:48 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcameron
thanks feedback, keep it comming.
Why don't you just fix the length of the paper towel holders that are too short to be mounted on the studs on the kitchen wall?

Why doesn't plastic wrap and foil come in sizes that accommodate the width that is needed to cover the basic shapes and sizes of containers? Why should we have to splice this stuff together?

Why do the manufactures of plastic wrap and alum foil and paper towels give away free dispenser holders? Why should we have to buy one?

Why don't you pitch your idea to the industrial market? I've seen the one in the meat dept. If I had a big everyday need, I would invest in that product.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #20
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
Why don't you just fix the length of the paper towel holders that are too short to be mounted on the studs on the kitchen wall? .
Because the paper towels would not fit the holder. Perhaps you could contact the construction industry and have them reduce the distance between studs.

"Why doesn't plastic wrap and foil come in sizes that accommodate the width that is needed to cover the basic shapes and sizes of containers? "

It does seem to, to me.

"Why should we have to splice this stuff together?"

With a bit of practice it is not that difficult.

"Why do the manufactures of plastic wrap and alum foil and paper towels give away free dispenser holders? Why should we have to buy one? "

An exellent question.

"Why don't you pitch your idea to the industrial market?"

I am not "pitching" anything, just collecting data.

"I've seen the one in the meat dept. If I had a big everyday need, I would invest in that product."

They are superior products. You obviously have exquisite taste. However, they run into the thousands of dollars, I assume you are talking about the type that seals the plastic on a hot pad. I cannot imagine anyone having something like that in their house. It certainly would not fit into a drawer.

ANYWAY, If you'd like to participate in my information gathering stroll, your data would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.