Plastic Wrap dispenser - school project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elcameron

Cook
I have used the cheesy home-style plastic wrap in disposible box with great frustration, Now I use a commercial box that I got at sam's and it is perfect.

Homework assignment for Marketing, I appreciate any input, thanks.

My product idea is a refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll.

>>>>>>SO IT WILL FIT IN A DRAWER..<<<<<<

Only two Questions:

1. How many days a week do you cook or eat home cooked meals?
Answer 1 through 7

2. At what price point would you consider such a product?
Answer: Would not, $4, $6, $8, $10.

Thanks

Last edited:
1. 5 or 6

2. Not interested. Counter space is at a premium and I bought plastic wrap in a disposable container at Sam's with a slide cutter so I can dispense wrap without taking the box out of the drawer it's in.

1. 7 days per week

2. I, like Andy, have very little counter space and would be reluctant to give up any for plastic wrap. Have also had a large commercial-type roll of plastic wrap from Sam's for a number of years. We use so little of it, I think what's left on the roll will have to be willed to our children when we die.

Best wishes on your project.

1) 7 days a week
2) Counterspace is at a premium here, too. When I had a walk-in pantry, I used the commercial sized plastic wrap and loved having it handy.

1. everyday except when I don`t and have a takeaway.

2. Ditto on the counter top room. (wall mounted might be a better).

Nice idea though :)

1. 4 or so but it varies. I do some catering so sometimes weeknds are 24/7.

2. Not interested. IMO most home cooks don't have the same need for countertop plastic wrap like they have the need for, say, countertop paper towels. Even if I had the space, I wouldn't want the countertop cluttered with something unnecessary.

Edited to add that I have no problem using the box and cutter on the "stretch-tite" wrap that I use.

Last edited:
elcameron said:
I have used the cheesy home-style plastic wrap in disposible box with great frustration, Now I use a commercial box that I got at sam's and it is perfect.

My product idea is a refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll. So it will fit into a drawer

Only two Questions:

1. How many days a week do you cook or eat home cooked meals?
Answer 1 through 7

2. At what price point would you consider such a product?
Answer: Would not, $4, $6, $8, $10.

Thanks

1. 6

2. I see you said you would have it fit in a drawer. Perfect. Good idea.:) Price about $5.

1. 7

2. Don't think price point should be the second question. You need to stablish a need and viability for a new product first. As has been pointed out, counter space is a problem for some, but drawer/shelf space is an equal problem for others, and also for the product described.

If it's going to fit in a drawer, it almost has to be a 'little dinky roll'; short in total length, and of minimal width. (Most plastic rolls for home use are of nearly unusable width in my opinion.)

Such a product is already made for commercial rolls (18 or 24 inch width); about $50.00. Have used these professionally; just a waste of money in my opinion. In a professional environment, a roll doesn't last long enough for the box or blade to go bad. In a home kitchen conditions aren't particularly tough on either box or blade, so no need for a fancy dispenser.

Atlanta Fixture | Disposables | Foil and Aluminum items | Foil Dispenser

At home I use a box of commercial wrap (18" wide, 3,000' long). I do have the counter space for it, but wouldn't use 'home plastic wrap' under any circumstances anyway. (Too spoiled:))

Most everything that I use has some sort of lid. I cannot remember the last time that I bought a roll of plastic but it was like 15 years ago. I think that it was tossed out when I moved.

I have used more alum foil for crafts than in the kitchen.

The ziploc bags are not being used very often either.

#1 - 5 meals a week, on average. Usually, I'm the one cooking.

#2 - I'm of mixed feelings about this. Basically, this stems from a long-running frustration with home wraps, where the "blade" is on the bottom corner, instead of the top. This creates a big hassle for me trying to dispense the wrap, as I'm "spoiled" by the large rolls of commercial wrap that I use at the places I work.

Space is not an issue for me right now, but I have lived in many places where space was an issue. So, putting a dispenser into a drawer or cabinet is a plus. I would also like to see a dispenser that can accept any roll of home-use wrap. Most rolls are the same length, and diameter doesn't vary that much, so it should be easy. I would also like to see a dispenser with suction cup feet, for stability. I also wouldn't want to spend much on it, $10 or less.

And while it sounds like a nifty, gee-whiz gadget that I would just have to have for my kitchen, I would also have to realize that I usually only use the plastic wrap maybe twice a week, so I probably wouldn't buy it.

1. 6

2. Sorry but its not something I would buy but I'm sure there are others that would. I remember my parents having something that hung on the wall at our campground trailer that had inserts where you put the aluminum foil, plasitc wrap and something else....I think its a vintage piece now ;)

NOTE: I think whoever invented the plastic wrap had it in for someone........I truely do.........I struggle and struggle with that stuff and off in the faint distance I hear someone giggling at me :ermm:

elcameron said:

My product idea is a refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll.

Actually- how many days a week I cook, or how many meals a week I prepare, has no direct correlation with how much plastic wrap I use.

There are already hard plastic containers that do what you want to accomplish - usually accommodating 2 or 3 rolls of "stuff" (aluminum foil, wax paper, plastic wrap) - but they are "space saving" and hang on a cabinet door ... not sit on a counter which would be a space waster.

Another thing to consider ... bulk packaging is cheaper - that is why one roll with "5,000 miles" of plastic wrap is significantly cheaper than 5,000 rolls of 1-mile plastic wrap ... packaging costs.

Michael in FtW said:
There are already hard plastic containers that do what you want to accomplish - usually accommodating 2 or 3 rolls of "stuff" (aluminum foil, wax paper, plastic wrap) - but they are "space saving" and hang on a cabinet door ... not sit on a counter which would be a space waster.

Another thing to consider ... bulk packaging is cheaper - that is why one roll with "5,000 miles" of plastic wrap is significantly cheaper than 5,000 rolls of 1-mile plastic wrap ... packaging costs.

Please read the initial post before replying with your opinion on irrelevant tangential topics.

Last edited:
Given the limited thought and consideration that appear to have gone into the original post, there are numerous 'tangential' topics that would, to me, seem to be not only relevant, but key to providing useful critical thought to the subject.

The product described:
refillable, heavy plastic, food wrap dispenser. Something heavy enough to stay put on the counter while the film is dispensed. Similar to restaurant plastic wrap, but not 5000 miles on a roll.
and the one required parameter:
>>>>>>SO IT WILL FIT IN A DRAWER..<<<<<<
appear to me to be an inherently flawed combination.

Do you cook at home? Would you be interested in a very convenient plastic wrap dispenser that stays put on your countertop, and allows you two free hands to wrap the product?

In addition, It would store in a drawer.

Sorry elcameron - didn't mean to tangetize. Let me try to answer your questions again without explanation or qualification:

Question 1: 7
Question 2: Would not

elcameron said:
thanks feedback, keep it comming.

Why don't you just fix the length of the paper towel holders that are too short to be mounted on the studs on the kitchen wall?

Why doesn't plastic wrap and foil come in sizes that accommodate the width that is needed to cover the basic shapes and sizes of containers? Why should we have to splice this stuff together?

Why do the manufactures of plastic wrap and alum foil and paper towels give away free dispenser holders? Why should we have to buy one?

Why don't you pitch your idea to the industrial market? I've seen the one in the meat dept. If I had a big everyday need, I would invest in that product.

StirBlue said:
Why don't you just fix the length of the paper towel holders that are too short to be mounted on the studs on the kitchen wall? .

Because the paper towels would not fit the holder. Perhaps you could contact the construction industry and have them reduce the distance between studs.

"Why doesn't plastic wrap and foil come in sizes that accommodate the width that is needed to cover the basic shapes and sizes of containers? "

It does seem to, to me.

"Why should we have to splice this stuff together?"

With a bit of practice it is not that difficult.

"Why do the manufactures of plastic wrap and alum foil and paper towels give away free dispenser holders? Why should we have to buy one? "

An exellent question.

"Why don't you pitch your idea to the industrial market?"

I am not "pitching" anything, just collecting data.

"I've seen the one in the meat dept. If I had a big everyday need, I would invest in that product."

They are superior products. You obviously have exquisite taste. However, they run into the thousands of dollars, I assume you are talking about the type that seals the plastic on a hot pad. I cannot imagine anyone having something like that in their house. It certainly would not fit into a drawer.

ANYWAY, If you'd like to participate in my information gathering stroll, your data would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Back
Top Bottom