"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 01-09-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

I visited a canadian grocery store, but there aren't the things i'm looking for. I'm so sad.. ;((((

Old 01-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #22
Sous Chef

fulmy87, piacere mio connocci. Scrivi the lingua Italiana. Tante grazi. La racazza abato nel Rome devo scrivi PM?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #23
Master Chef

I love Italian lenguage and Italy. I spent there about 6 month or so, back in 1989, wow, 17 year ago. While I was there I picked up enough Italian to be able to communicate, but, I guess, not enough to remember any now.
I'm sorry I cant help you with American food, as I don't think it's the best food in the world, sorry folks, can't say that I like Italian food either, I love Chinese.
The only thing I can help you id Guacamole, which is really not American actually. It is probably Mexican, not sure. I have a killer recipe for it. If you want let me know.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
fulmy87, piacere mio connocci. Scrivi the lingua Italiana. Tante grazi. La racazza abato nel Rome devo scrivi PM?
...I didn't understand..
Old 01-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
Assistant Cook

Thanx Charlie D, yes i'd like to know your recipe..
Old 01-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #26
Master Chef

Here it is:

Guacamole:

This is an authentic Mexican recipe, the real Mexican.
Very simple to make.

2 ripe avocados
1 small ripe tomato
1 red jalapeño peppers (or green one if you like it hot)
1 small bunch of fresh cilantro (coriander)
1 small red onion
Juice of ½ of freshly squeezed lime (depends on season the lime could be very juice or not, so adjust to taste)
A pinch of salt.
If you like very hot/spicy you can add couple of drops of some hot sauce.

Mash avocado with potato masher, chop everything very finely, mix together, enjoy. Keep it covered tightly so the avocado doesn’t get dark. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, or even more.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

I found some food on Ebay, but I'm looking for sliced bacon and salted butter(creamy)....and frozen waffles (kelloggs eggo)..
Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulmy87
I found some food on Ebay, but I'm looking for sliced bacon and salted butter(creamy)....and frozen waffles (kelloggs eggo)..
Sorry, you're in Italy and can't find sliced bacon and salted butter? How about unsliced bacon which you could slice and unsalted butter which you could salt?

As for frozen waffles, yeah, you might be right that you can't find those, but you can always make your own and freeze them, can't you?

You do realize that trying to get everything you could get in the States is not only the shortest route to insanity, but also to the poorhouse?! You'd have to ship express if the goods are perishable, particularly if they're frozen, and on top of shipping fees, you'd have to add in customs clearance fees which can be incredibly expensive.

You live in a place reknowned for its amazing food. Can't you explore all the wonders that are available there first?

I suggest you go and pop a Rafaello in your mouth and give it a bit of thought ...!

[Edited to say that I suppose this is coming across as nothing but negative. If so, no offense intended. I know what's it's like to miss stuff from elsewhere, but these are my honest thoughts about how wise it is to try to duplicate the offerings of one country while sitting in another ...]
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
[Edited to say that I suppose this is coming across as nothing but negative. If so, no offense intended. I know what's it's like to miss stuff from elsewhere, but these are my honest thoughts about how wise it is to try to duplicate the offerings of one country while sitting in another ...]
Very wise words, Ayrton,
I got sick of the food network for exactly that reason. It seemed like every single TV Chef's recipe called for pancetta instead of bacon, prosciutto instead of ham, parmigiano reggiano, "the undisputed king of cheeses," etc, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #30
Master Chef

If I were to eat pork I'd go with proscuito versus ham on any given day.