Poll: What's Your Favorite Breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite breakfast?

• Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Toast

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Eggs Benedict

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Denver Omelette

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Huevos Rancheros with Flour Tortillas

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • French Toast with Powdered Sugar and Raspberries

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Pancakes with Butter and Maple Syrup

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Blintzes topped with a Blueberry-Cointreau Sauce

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Swedish Pancakes with Lemon Sauce and Lingonberry Jam

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Texas Steak and Eggs with Biscuits and Gravy

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Ham Steak with Hash Browns with grilled Bell Peppers and Onions

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
I'm with you, Ishbel...

I like the same things as you for breakfast... I often eat oats porridge, and just love a full-on breakfast - so does my family. I practically had this ground into me - when my girls were small, it was like you were a bad mother if they missed having porridge - so it was porridge every morning, mostly oats or corn-meal (we call it mealie-meal) and sometimes cream of wheat. I love oats porridge with a bit of fresh cream.

If we do the whole schmooze, then no lunch - it keeps us going a long time. Actually, we do this for dinner sometimes, too! -Sandyj

kadesma said:
I picked eggs benedict, but I must confess, I love crisp bacon, over med eggs and either home fries with green onion and put the eggs on top with sour dough toast and jam o the side... and hot coffee.

kadesma

kadesma, this is my favorite breakfast, too!! In fact, I just finished supper, but reading your menu makes me hungry for breakfast!! No one has mentioned grits - I love grits for breakfast, too.
:pig:

callie said:
kadesma, this is my favorite breakfast, too!! In fact, I just finished supper, but reading your menu makes me hungry for breakfast!! No one has mentioned grits - I love grits for breakfast, too.
Hi Callie, how was your 4th.? Come on over sat morning I'm making breakfast:) I'll even try my had at grits...:LOL: I believe I could eat bacon at leat once a day:) I know better, but I'd love to do it:LOL:
kadesma

Hi back to ya, kadesma! My 4th was great - but, I swear, next year we're keeping it simple and just having sandwiches...:LOL:

I'll be there for breakfast! I'll cook the grits...do you want them plain or w/cheese?? I'm with you on the bacon, too! Mr. c and I can finish off a pound of crispy bacon - no problem! :blush:

Rainee said:
What, no grits or gravy biscuits? :ermm:

I agree Rainee!! Biscuits and sausage gravy is one of my favorite breakfasts. In fact that is what I had for breakfast today. A half order of biscuits and gravy for $3.50. The gravy had huge pieces of sausage. Yummy!!

As for the poll I picked a Denver omelet. I would have added home fries with the omelet. I like pancakes and maple syrup, but I can make that at home. Belgian waffles are another favorite of mine.

What I normally have for breakfast during the work week is cereal. Every once in awhile I will have a bagel with cream cheese.

Barbara L said:
When I go to iHop, I usually get the cheese and mushroom omelette, hashed browns, and pancake. I don't usually finish everything (except the hashed browns), and I take what I can't finish home for Duncan (our dog).

:) Barbara
I had been in the mood for iHop all day since reading this thread! James (Maidrite) didn't even know that, but he wanted to go tonight too! So, since we had to go up toward Charlotte tonight, that is where we had supper. We both had their new ham and 3-cheese omelette, with mushrooms, black olives, and tomatoes added. James had chocolate chip pancakes with his. I had pancakes (they come with it) and hashed browns. Yes, Duncan got some omelette and pancakes when we got home!

:) Barbara

callie said:
Hi back to ya, kadesma! My 4th was great - but, I swear, next year we're keeping it simple and just having sandwiches...:LOL:

I'll be there for breakfast! I'll cook the grits...do you want them plain or w/cheese?? I'm with you on the bacon, too! Mr. c and I can finish off a pound of crispy bacon - no problem! :blush:
Hey Callie,
grits with cheese please...Bacon is frying:LOL:
kadesma

There only needs to be one thing on the menu to make me happy - and that's Eggs Benedict. I have been totally addicted to this yummy dish since I first tasted it 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived in this country. Because it's not so good for your heart, I limit myself to only having it if we eat breakfast out (about once every couple of months). My husband is getting sick of me ordering the same thing every time...but I am in 7th heaven if it's on the menu :)

P.S. French toast in England (we also call it 'eggy-bread') is totally different to over here - it's savoury! we whip up eggs with salt & pepper, dip the bread in, fry it, then eat it with tomato ketchup or steak sauce. When my daughter went on her first sleepover, her friend's Mom was very amused when she asked for ketchup with her french toast...Linsey had never had American french toast before and didn't know that it was sweet LOL!

Paint.

Last edited:
My pick was for the Texas breakfast, only because of the biscuits and gravy (hold the steak). I LOVE biscuits and sausage gravy, which are not all that common in the Boston area, so I get them wherever, whenever I can.

I was interested in Paint's post about savory French Toast. Now that you and your daughter have had both sweet and savory, which do you prefer?

And to Ishbel, my mother and I visited Scotland 20 years ago. Up until then, she hated oatmeal. In our hotel, they served it with cream and Sugar in the Raw (that I know now as turbinado sugar), and she has been an oatmeal fan ever since! But what we've had here has never been as good as what we had in Scotland.

Lee

Lee, my youngest daughter prefers the savoury kind, my eldest doesn't like either...I have never tried the sweet kind, but it sounds very yummy and It's something I've been meaning to make for a long time...Hmm, maybe for breakfast tomorrow? :)

Oh, what the heck...I'm going to make some now...I'll get back to you with my thoughts on it!

Paint.

Ooooh, it's yummy!!! The recipe I found used 2 eggs, a little milk, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. I don't usually put milk in my savoury French Toast, but I followed the 'sweet' recipe exactly....I found the milk made it a bit on the soggy side, so will probably leave it out next time. I cooked 2 slices, and had maple syrup on one and sugar on the other. I liked them both. My dogs are poking their noses under my arm as I type, trying to get at the scraps on the plate - so it's obviously a hit with them too! :)

Paint.

Ignorant Brit Warning

Ok... biscuits and gravy? For breakfast? Am sure this is delicious... convince me :ermm:

What is iHop?

Paint - I've only ever had sweet French Toast in England, I didn't realise there was a savoury kind :)

What's a Denver omelet?

Chocolate chip pancakes!! What a splendid idea... :pig:

I picked the Texas breakfast and would have grits or potatoes and salsa added. Since we live out in the boonies, we don't go out for breakfast. I love it when the kids and grandkids are here so that I can make them what they want for breakfast!!

I chose huevo rancheros, havent made that in years, but it would be what I would order if it were on the menu at a restaurant. Also, a chili and cheese omelet with red bliss potatoes homefries on the side. My husband is british, so on Sundays I sometimes make him eggs (he likes them crisp ewwww), fried spam (he doesnt like american sausage or bacon very much), boiled mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes on top of all of that, and then HP sauce, and toast, usually no butter or margarine on it (ewwww), and a cuppa tea.

Bee said:
Ok... biscuits and gravy? For breakfast? Am sure this is delicious... convince me :ermm:

biscuits and gravy are deeee-licious!:)
my Dad makes this and just uses canned refrigerator biscuits and a tube of bulk sausage, milk, flour, poultry seasoning and lots of black pepper, then pour it over the biscuits.
good comfort food!

Hey, Paint, thanks for whipping up a batch of sweet French toast and getting back to us so quickly with your opinion! LOL!

Glad you liked the sweet ones, too. In my opinion, the maple syrup makes them.

Lee

Bee said:

What is iHop?

Paint - I've only ever had sweet French Toast in England, I didn't realise there was a savoury kind :)

What's a Denver omelet?

Chocolate chip pancakes!! What a splendid idea... :pig:

Hi Bee,

'Biscuits' in the USA are like savoury scones - and are served along with meals in much the same way that we would have bread & butter. They are good spread with butter & honey if you have plain biscuits, but my favourites are the cheese & garlic biscuits - yummy! The biscuits and gravy is a common breakfast dish, and is really very good - it consists of biscuits covered in a creamy white sauce (called 'country gravy') with bits of sausage in it. It's real comfort food :)

Paint.

P.S. 'Biscuits' in the UK are what Americans would call cookies so you see how Bee was questioning the sanity of mixing cookies with gravy....Chocolate Chip au jus anyone?

Last edited:
Ishbel,

When we visited Scotland 2 years ago, we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Inverness and the owner made the best porridge I had ever had. Now I make it with cream and a little salt just like she did.

That's great - you can spread the word about the 'right' way to eat it! (Mind you, my husband sometimes sneaks a little brown sugar onto his porridge when he says he needs 'energy'.....!)

Back
Top Bottom