"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
View Poll Results: What is your favorite breakfast?
Scrambled Eggs, Bacon and Toast 11 20.75%
Eggs Benedict 8 15.09%
Denver Omelette 4 7.55%
Huevos Rancheros with Flour Tortillas 6 11.32%
French Toast with Powdered Sugar and Raspberries 4 7.55%
Pancakes with Butter and Maple Syrup 5 9.43%
Blintzes topped with a Blueberry-Cointreau Sauce 2 3.77%
Swedish Pancakes with Lemon Sauce and Lingonberry Jam 1 1.89%
Texas Steak and Eggs with Biscuits and Gravy 11 20.75%
Ham Steak with Hash Browns with grilled Bell Peppers and Onions 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I'm with you, Ishbel...

I like the same things as you for breakfast... I often eat oats porridge, and just love a full-on breakfast - so does my family. I practically had this ground into me - when my girls were small, it was like you were a bad mother if they missed having porridge - so it was porridge every morning, mostly oats or corn-meal (we call it mealie-meal) and sometimes cream of wheat. I love oats porridge with a bit of fresh cream.

If we do the whole schmooze, then no lunch - it keeps us going a long time. Actually, we do this for dinner sometimes, too! -Sandyj

Old 07-06-2005, 11:46 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
I picked eggs benedict, but I must confess, I love crisp bacon, over med eggs and either home fries with green onion and put the eggs on top with sour dough toast and jam o the side... and hot coffee.

kadesma
kadesma, this is my favorite breakfast, too!! In fact, I just finished supper, but reading your menu makes me hungry for breakfast!! No one has mentioned grits - I love grits for breakfast, too.

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:50 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
kadesma, this is my favorite breakfast, too!! In fact, I just finished supper, but reading your menu makes me hungry for breakfast!! No one has mentioned grits - I love grits for breakfast, too.
Hi Callie, how was your 4th.? Come on over sat morning I'm making breakfast I'll even try my had at grits... I believe I could eat bacon at leat once a day I know better, but I'd love to do it
kadesma
Old 07-06-2005, 11:56 PM   #24
Head Chef

Hi back to ya, kadesma! My 4th was great - but, I swear, next year we're keeping it simple and just having sandwiches...

I'll be there for breakfast! I'll cook the grits...do you want them plain or w/cheese?? I'm with you on the bacon, too! Mr. c and I can finish off a pound of crispy bacon - no problem!

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #25
Master Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainee
What, no grits or gravy biscuits?
I agree Rainee!! Biscuits and sausage gravy is one of my favorite breakfasts. In fact that is what I had for breakfast today. A half order of biscuits and gravy for $3.50. The gravy had huge pieces of sausage. Yummy!!

As for the poll I picked a Denver omelet. I would have added home fries with the omelet. I like pancakes and maple syrup, but I can make that at home. Belgian waffles are another favorite of mine.

What I normally have for breakfast during the work week is cereal. Every once in awhile I will have a bagel with cream cheese.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #26
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
When I go to iHop, I usually get the cheese and mushroom omelette, hashed browns, and pancake. I don't usually finish everything (except the hashed browns), and I take what I can't finish home for Duncan (our dog).

Barbara
I had been in the mood for iHop all day since reading this thread! James (Maidrite) didn't even know that, but he wanted to go tonight too! So, since we had to go up toward Charlotte tonight, that is where we had supper. We both had their new ham and 3-cheese omelette, with mushrooms, black olives, and tomatoes added. James had chocolate chip pancakes with his. I had pancakes (they come with it) and hashed browns. Yes, Duncan got some omelette and pancakes when we got home!

Barbara
Old 07-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie
Hi back to ya, kadesma! My 4th was great - but, I swear, next year we're keeping it simple and just having sandwiches...

I'll be there for breakfast! I'll cook the grits...do you want them plain or w/cheese?? I'm with you on the bacon, too! Mr. c and I can finish off a pound of crispy bacon - no problem!
Hey Callie,
grits with cheese please...Bacon is frying
kadesma
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #28
Senior Cook

There only needs to be one thing on the menu to make me happy - and that's Eggs Benedict. I have been totally addicted to this yummy dish since I first tasted it 5 1/2 years ago when we first arrived in this country. Because it's not so good for your heart, I limit myself to only having it if we eat breakfast out (about once every couple of months). My husband is getting sick of me ordering the same thing every time...but I am in 7th heaven if it's on the menu :)

P.S. French toast in England (we also call it 'eggy-bread') is totally different to over here - it's savoury! we whip up eggs with salt & pepper, dip the bread in, fry it, then eat it with tomato ketchup or steak sauce. When my daughter went on her first sleepover, her friend's Mom was very amused when she asked for ketchup with her french toast...Linsey had never had American french toast before and didn't know that it was sweet LOL!

Paint.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #29
Head Chef

My pick was for the Texas breakfast, only because of the biscuits and gravy (hold the steak). I LOVE biscuits and sausage gravy, which are not all that common in the Boston area, so I get them wherever, whenever I can.

I was interested in Paint's post about savory French Toast. Now that you and your daughter have had both sweet and savory, which do you prefer?

And to Ishbel, my mother and I visited Scotland 20 years ago. Up until then, she hated oatmeal. In our hotel, they served it with cream and Sugar in the Raw (that I know now as turbinado sugar), and she has been an oatmeal fan ever since! But what we've had here has never been as good as what we had in Scotland.

Lee
Old 07-08-2005, 09:37 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Lee, my youngest daughter prefers the savoury kind, my eldest doesn't like either...I have never tried the sweet kind, but it sounds very yummy and It's something I've been meaning to make for a long time...Hmm, maybe for breakfast tomorrow? :)

Oh, what the heck...I'm going to make some now...I'll get back to you with my thoughts on it!

Paint.