Pop Up Restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Has anyone else heard of these? I am not sure if more than just this one chef is doing it, but I love the concept.

Chef Ludo LeFebvre wanted to open a restaurant, but was very scared to make a long term commitment because of how hard the business is, even if you are great at what you do. He wondered why he could not just open a short term restaurant. He had a friend who owned a bakery (I think) who agreed to let him use his space at night for a few weeks to have a place he could serve customers. It was just something that intentionally was around for a few weeks and then was gone. It was a huge success. He now has done this a few times and demand is huge. Reservations were snapped up in 20 minutes for the entire run the last time they were offered. I believe they had 3,000 people trying to get reservations at the same time.

I love this idea. It is such a new and refreshing concept in an industry that has not changed much in a very long time. What are your thoughts?

You can read more about the chef and his pop up restaurants here.

Hmmm. Interesting.

It does generate demand because it's something new and different and there's a bit of adventure to it as it's like a treasure hunt.

I wonder if the same group of restaurant enthusiasts end up with all the reservations and block out the casual restaurant-goer. By the time word gets out to the general populace, it's gone. Does that make it elitist?

I wonder how good the food is???

I learned about this on NPR this morning Andy. From their descriptions alone, the food sounded amazing.

I am guessing that it is not the same group of people who get in each time, but that is just a guess. It sounded like the space he usually got was very small, about 10 tables or so, and the demand is very high. They compared it to getting concert tickets. You need to luck out that you are able to get through on the phone when they release the reservations for sale. There probably are repeat customers because they would most likely be in the know about when the reservations will go on sale, but it sounds like there are enough other people who know too who they will have to fight against to get a spot.

I didn't know this phenomenon existed until your post. I think you're right about there being a core of repeat customers with some different ones each time.

It depends on how you find out about a new pop up and when to call.

Regardless of all that, it's an exiting concept for dining. After a series of pop ups, does this chef decide he could make a lot more money with a real restaurant and go traditional? If he does, does his food become boring and business drops off? In other words, is the the concept or the food that brings people back? Not saying the food is bad, just not all that great but good enough with this concept.

Speculation. That's all I have.

I wish the piece the did on the radio gave more information. They said this chef has worked for some of the top chefs in CA, but they did not say who.

It sounds like he does not plan on opening a traditional place any time soon. After the first run was so successful he was able to take some time off and enjoy himself being unemployed for a few months before working again. They made it sound like he really liked that style of working for a short while then taking a break and doing it again. I would have to guess the novelty would wear off eventually though.

I think the apps sound more intriguing than the main courses. Cauliflower ice cream could be quite interesting.

I think the apps sound more intriguing than the main courses. Cauliflower ice cream could be quite interesting.

Definitely NOT interested in that. There is no place in my gastronomic universe for cauliflower in any form.

I don't think any pop up restos have 'popped up' here in the L.A. area, but we've had 'underground restos' doing their thing for about the last 3 years. I gather the main difference is that the pop up variety are legal as they're using commercial kitchens, while the underground ones are using somebody's house (usually mansion!) so making them illegal. Reservations for them are also at a premium and I hear, always sold out. Haven't made it to one of these 'events' and must admit to not much interest in trying to.
As far as I can tell, both types have in common, certified experienced chefs and 'gourmet' menus. I'm guessing the underground venues are a lot more expensive per person.

They are big in LA right now.They call them dinner or supper clubs.the ones I have seen are usually less than 100 bucks a head and they are generally pretty adventurous with the food.Not really for non-foodies or nose turners.

I went to something similar about ten years ago that also had a cigar shop show up and some people were actually smoking cigars through dinner.Yuk!

MSC I think the biggest difference between the pop up restaurants and the underground restos, aside from what you already mentioned, is that with the underground ones it is more like a dinner party with everyone sitting at the same table (from my understanding), but at the pop ups it is more like a regular restaurant where you sit with who you came with.

I have a pirate set up in my house, serving in 2 separate patios. But I only do it for fun. Food is mediocre at best. Everything on the menu is free of charge. I only serve friends and relatives at the moment but that can change...:D

Anyway, club promoters do the same thing. They will rent a club certain evenings out of the week with a particular theme and operate for several months, then move on to something else when things dry out.

And yeah, I've seen these dinner clubs here in L.A. and they're throw out a name of a local chef who's 'been around'...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom