"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Potato Chip Dust.....et al

On the dinner thread, I lamented about my dinner menu of Thursday which consisted of potato chip and dorito dust. We all know what the dust is...those last few particles of pencil point size chip that you find at the bottom of the bag when anything larger than a dime has already been consumed. My daughter is loathe to toss anything away, (she also suffers from sock seperation anxiety, but that's another topic) so I often discover dust filled chip bags in the bread drawer. I'm not particularly fond of the dust. However, while you can eat them with a spoon, you can still distinguish the flavour of the original product.

She also left one chips ahoy cookie in the jar....c'mon, why not just eat it? Can you honestly say you were that full that one more cookie would have simply been the end of you? No way to just get that one last cookie in? It's not like they are big, or anything..

My son is famous for leaving 6 pieces of ziti in a tupperware that originally housed over a pound of cooked ziti. He's also known for the 3 tablespoons of orange juice in the half gallon container, too.

I cannot count how many times I've reached for a ketchup bottle, discover it upside down, and the contents that remain are only enough to fill the cap.....halfway.

Anyone else live with these people, or is it just me?

And godforbid someone other than myself refill the water pitcher or just toss the cardboard roll that 3 squares of toilet paper still cling to.....

Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's a game. If you don't empty it. you don't have to throw it away.

...except for leaving one cookie. That's just wrong.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep I've known some of those folks....but mainly thanks for a big laugh so early this morning!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Master Chef

oh yes I live with one..hubby is exactly the same, saves food no matter how little or small it is, even one tablespoon of something!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Master Chef

I feel your pain. If I lived with you, I would be the cause of your pain. For I have committed all of those sins at one time or another. And yet, when I'm the person taking care of the miniscule leftovers, or the tablespoons of milk in the container, I feel the same frustration that you so vividly express.

You usually make me smile, just not so early in the morning. Thanks.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post

She also left one chips ahoy cookie in the jar....c'mon, why not just eat it? Can you honestly say you were that full that one more cookie would have simply been the end of you? No way to just get that one last cookie in? It's not like they are big, or anything..
Personally, I think that shows wonderful control. Too many people here are overweight. What is wrong with stopping when you are done? Why eat just one more cookie just so there are none left? Who is it hurting if there is a single cookie left? Eating that last cookie when you don't want or need it is not a good idea for your health.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I feel your pain. If I lived with you, I would be the cause of your pain. For I have committed all of those sins at one time or another. And yet, when I'm the person taking care of the miniscule leftovers, or the tablespoons of milk in the container, I feel the same frustration that you so vividly express.

You usually make me smile, just not so early in the morning. Thanks.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I cannot possibly picture you being guilty of the same sins as my children.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's a game. If you don't empty it. you don't have to throw it away.

...except for leaving one cookie. That's just wrong.
Eating the last cookie means you have to refill the cookie jar with the next package (which just so happened to be 100th anniversary Hydrox). When you think of all the work and effort it would have taken to shake out the offending chips ahoy crumbs, open the package of hydrox, remove said hydrox and gently place them into the prepared vehicle....I can see why someone would avoid that remaining cookie like it was a SARS carrier.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
oh yes I live with one..hubby is exactly the same, saves food no matter how little or small it is, even one tablespoon of something!
I cleaned the refrigerator last weekend. On the door, behind an army of forgotten condiments I discovered a small jar of welch's grape jelly. Last autumn I made 16 jars of concord grape jam which everyone says is my best batch, jet. So.... the welch's with not a gram more than 2 teaspoons still clinging to the jar's walls sits, forgotten. I know who opened the jar of homemade too....Oh yes, I know who it was.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Hmmm...I can't tell you how many time this has happened:

"Hun, I'm gonna toss that."

"NO, save it for lunch" or "I'll make stock from it"

Two weeks later I'm throwing it out. In fact, I'm waiting to see what happens with the two bannanas on the counter.