Prime Rib Dinner at the Shelter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corinne

Sous Chef
Mystic, CT - transplanted from Lancaster, PA
I did 2 Thanksgiving meals for a local homeless shelter. It was pretty easy to come up with the menu - just all of the traditional Thanksgiving items.

I will be doing 2 meals again on Christmas day. We don't celebrate Christmas so I am available to spend the day there again. The lunchtime meal will be Prime Rib. I have never made it before so I am looking for any tips you might have.

Also, I need to know what "goes with" Prime Rib. What are some good side dishes?

Thank you!
Corinne

corinne, to me, the classic side dishes to go with prime rib are either baked or roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli and carrots.

the neat thing about the potatoes are that they easily cook in the oven along side the meat.

sorry i can't help with the cooking of the roast. so far, i've made a rib roast twice, and both weren't very good.

If you are able to take the time, smoke it. The best prime rib I've had was smoked over charcoal only for around 10 hours or so. Was a nice rare to medium rare. I would have preferred a bit longer towards meium rare, but even still, I couldn't stop eating it! It was done in a home made smoker build from various items including a rusted out Weber, a couple of steel wheels, and a brake drum from an 18 wheeler. Not pretty, but did a good job!

BigDog - there won't be enough time to smoke it - unless I wanna start it in the middle of the night. Which I don't!

Bucky - someone else also told me roasted potatoes are a good side so I am looking for the ultimate recipe. :)

Still need some ideas for more sides! I heard Yorkshire Pudding, so I'm thinking about that, too.

Thank you!

Corrine, What an absolutely lovely thing to do!

Here's a very basic simple prime rib recipe -

SIMPLE PRIME RIB ROAST

12 pound Prime Rib roast, at room temperature
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Season roast with salt and pepper. In a roasting pan place roast, fat side up, so that ribs of roast act as rack. Roast for 30 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Continue to roast for 2 hours more or until meat thermometer registers desired doneness. Transfer to platter and let rest, covered, for 20 minutes.
For the pan sauce:
2 cups beef stock or canned broth
Sprig of thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
Worcestershire sauce, to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Skim off fat from pan drippings and add stock and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Season with Worcestershire and salt and pepper to taste.

You can add some roasted garlic to the pan sauce for added flavor.

For the roasted potatoes, you can just peel some baby new potatoes - red or yellow, and put them right in the roasting pan for the last half hour or so - they get 'basted' with all the meat juices; or roast them in a separate pan, with some oil, salt, pepper.

For other sides - a traditional New England side with prime rib, do some stewed tomatoes - used canned whole tomatoes, add a little onion/celery, and a little brown sugar, and cook slowly til the tomatoes break down; it should be thick, but still a little runny.

A simple succotash of baby limas and corn, with maybe some chopped red bell pepper for color, some green beans amandine, maybe a salad? And rolls.

I'd kind of keep it on the simple side, for a number of reasons; firstly, easier on you! Secondly, I'm not sure the folks you're serving would know what some of the more 'exotic' dishes were, so keeping to simple, hearty nutrition might be the best way to go here.

Yes - gotta have horseradish sauce!
Funny story - many years ago, a former co-worker went to a dinner theater that featured a buffet. Now that I think about it, Prime Rib may have been the main course. He saw what he thought was a bowl of mashed potatoes & put a good portion on his plate, along with gravy. You can guess the rest, given the subject of horseradish, can't you?! He was always doing dumb stuff like this. The worst part was that he always told the rest of us... His name was Jeff - they called him Jethro!

Two of my favorite restaurants for prime rib are Gulliver's and Lawry's. You could take a peek at their sites for more menu ideas and tips.

creamed corn (or corn casserole/pudding/souffle would work for a large crowd)
(creamed) spinach
au jus
yorkshire pudding
horseradish
cheesecake
Coffee

I would offer some recipes, but guessing you will be cooking in large quantities. I admire your selflessness in giving your time to others that are less fortunate, during the Holiday Season. Happy Holidays to you and yours. :)

Mish - I would welcome some recipes - especially if they are TnT! There are only about 20 "residents" at this shelter, so while I will be cooking for more than a normal sized family, it's not that much more. Based on our Thanksgiving meals, there were only around 10 walk-ins for the evening meal. I need to find out if any of the churches are doing meals for Christmas, as so many did for Thanksgiving. That kept our numbers down & made for piles of leftovers!

I've decided that the evening meal will be ham. For sides we've come up with scalloped potatoes, creamed spinach, peas.

I don't have any very favorite recipes for anything I will be cooking that day so I am open to any & all suggestions. I just want it to be an excellent meal for these fine people.

My partner-in-crime for this venture & I came up with some menus today. She wrote everything down & I don't have a copy. I will get it from her, post our ideas & ask for suggestions from you guys. You can all be a part of this endeavor, however vicariously! :) I appreciate the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom