"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 03-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Ahhh to live in such a city where there are more cultures crammed together than you can poke a stick at. 'Tis bliss.

I don't understand why things are so expensive either... we're basically a middle-sized town surrounded by farmland, you'd think produce would be cheap...
It is a common problem. Things are actual cheaper here in Sydney than it is in the rural areas that grow the things. Generally this is due to the fact that all (or pretty close to it) of the produce grown in the area is shipped off to the big supermarket's distribution centres (which are generally in or very close to the major cities) and then filtered out to your local supermarket. Nonsensical isn't it?

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #12
Executive Chef
Try doing a search for specialty food stores near your area; you may find something within driving distance you never knew about!

What supermarket chains do you have in your area? Even our Food Lion here is starting to carry a few more 'up-market' items. Sometimes you just need to be persistent and ask for them.

The Dungeoness comment made me laugh - I can't get Gulf Coast crawfish here (Charleston, SC), except on special order; the only ones I've seen are frozen packages, from China or Thailand.

Re produce prices - you'll see higher prices in every supermarket right now; it's just not the season for local produce, and they're all importing veggies from all over the place.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:59 AM   #13
Master Chef
Unusual Ingredients

Earthly Delights - both fresh & dried exotic mushrooms & other wonderful things. I've ordered from them before & the quality & customer service have both been terrific.

Dean & Deluca - well-known purveyor of nearly everything under the sun. I've ordered from them not only for myself, but have sent gifts from them as well - all with excellent feedback.

Penzey's Spices - again, have purchased for both myself & as gifts for others. Terrific in every way.

There are lots of others I buy from online. If you do a search for whatever ingredient you're looking for, you're bound to come up with dozens of online sources, no matter how exotic what you're looking for is.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:12 AM   #14
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Ham Hock
... grocery stores with shelves packed with items I have never even seen before...
For that very reason, I come back home with bags full of grocery when I go to NY.
And not only grocery.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
Master Chef
P.S. All the fancy food interent sites are great, but a lot of times i want to touch, to smell, simply hold the food item in my hands before buying it.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote