"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 PM   #11
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Hey, Choc! Happy to see you around! :D
{{{{DampCharcoal}}} you sweetie pie you!

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:53 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I cooked for 3 years in one of the top 2 restaurants in our area. I absolutely lived and breathed it - adored it - loved it - was glad when it was over :oops: Hard work - very rewarding - but not condusive to normal living for a single mother.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Check us out at:

Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
Senior Cook
Send a message via ICQ to Consul Send a message via AIM to Consul
I was once a short-order cook for Pikes Peak Community College in Colorado Springs, Colorado. That lasted for about a year, and I found out later that I had quite a following for my grilled cheese sandwich.

In one semester, I went from being the new guy to basically running the place. It was a lot of fun.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry
Consul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:04 AM   #15
Head Chef
I've spent most of my working life in the kitchen, starting as a wee lad as a dish dog. I worked my way up thru the ranks cooking in fast food and tourist traps til I landed in a family style joint. Eventually I moved here where I eventually became the kitchen manager for one of the nicer restaurants in SooFoo, and later served as the chef for a major hotel property.

I got out of the biz for about four years, during which time I worked in credit card collections. Once I'd had all I could take of that, I decided to get back to "real work." I recently started for a local "chain" (not a franchise, but they're expanding quickly). Pretty nice place. Soon I'll have to decide whether or not to go back to school (my #1 plan at the moment) or rededicate myself to the restaurant biz (which would entail getting back to chef'ing/management).

Right now it's just good to be working at something I like again. I figure the future will sort itself out. 8)
If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I started working fast food as a kid. Did a 3-month stint at a major camp kitchen feeding 1200 folks every meal. Got out of the food biz and worked at JCPenny's for a few years (great benefits, lousy managers). Went back into the fast food places for a few years. Then, I moved out of my parent's home, and started cooking for myself. Realized I had a knack for it, so I started going to college for a Culinary Arts degree. Quit the fast food joints and went to work in a real restaurant, a cajun place. Then went to a country club, and worked there for 4 1/2 years. Moved to Michigan to be with my now DW for the birth of our kids. Started working at a steak house. Then, I went to another country club, at which I'm still working.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote